Nobody likes us! We should care!

At least some of your true faces are coming out in this thread now :)

With respect people are entitled to their opinion - especially when they justify it with reasons.

Scotland is all but a secular country now and while I'd never tell any bear (or anyone in fact) how to enjoy their football club (or life) there is a good argument for the religious aspect of the Rangers support being over-stated.

With respect people are entitled to their opinion - especially when they justify it with reasons.

Scotland is all but a secular country now and while I'd never tell any bear (or anyone in fact) how to enjoy their football club (or life) there is a good argument for the religious aspect of the Rangers support being over-stated.

I agree,, its quite annoying when people shoot you down for having an opinion. :) I wasnt slating anyones opinion, I was just saying I was glad they eventually found there reason for hating 'all things rangers men'

Trolling... better answer than debating on here saddly

I don't think that's fair. We have many good debates and you're the one not justifying your opinion whilst making posts about people (who you don't name) supposedly showing their true faces.

Just because people may not enjoy the Protestant, orange or loyalist aspects of the club doesn't mean they're any less of a bear than you or I.

First thread I read, yeah I agree. And the second. By the time I had read through

"The Sash We Never Sang"

"Rangers, Protestantism and Scottish Society"

"Where is our Protestant identity?" and

"Who Do We Think We Are?"

I had had too much of a good thing. All good articles (excellent, in fact) and I can quite see why they are proud of them, but it needs leavened with some other chat as well, for me. But that's just me.

Isn't that more down to the order you read them in Andy? Certainly the highlighted articles on the home page are more eclectic. Someone even wrote one about Twitter very recently... I thought The Rangers Standard has managed to cover many topics in the short time I've known about it. It might be that archiving them by genre rather than chronologically has created your impression.

Guest Redhandluke

Well put,but every football club in scotland are envious of Rangers,I remember alex ferguson saying when he was manager of Aberdeen,he would rather loose 6 nil to Celtic than loose 1 nil to Rangers,i also remember Dundee united wouldnt sell Rangers players,Rangers had to wait and sign Richard gough from spurs,when Rangers sold them players like Jim bett, and Ian redford,And Rangers are a protestant football club weathier you like it or not,try telling Celtic fans they are not a roman catholic club,celtic fans have trouble knowing what country Celtic play in,there are more irish tricolours than saint andrews flags at celtic park.Rangers has a proud history and a history that a lot of otheir football sides look at in envy,weather Rangers start again in what ever league or division,we will be back,lets wait and see,the biggest attendances away from celtic park next season,do hearts and hibs think they will be the new old firm,or will dundee united and aberdeen go down memory lane and call themselves the new firm again,and if Rangers do go into the 3rd division,a lot of the clubs in that league will get to play at a stadium that they could only have dreamed of.

No 12 (Calscot and CG too) my use of the term 'Protestant club' probably needs explained more.

I use the term to describe the background that a lot of our support come from. I fully accept that most Scots are irreligious and certainly not church going, I don't see that changing much in the future either. I also fully accept that the club itself is not in anyway religious, and I'm glad about that. For me Rangers should be about football and that alone. However even in modern Scotland someone who wasn't baptised and has never been in a church is often labeled 'Protestant' by dint of going to a non-denominational school. I fully accept the irony in that. As most of our supporters also attended non-denominational schools they are termed 'Protestants', often even when they really aren't.

I also think the 'Protestant' side of our support is overplayed, as if that reason and that reason alone is why we are so well supported. I don't believe it is the case, I think the main reasons are football ones.

Going forward I expect we'll continue to take the bulk of our support from that 'community', if it is such a thing. I would love it if everyone felt comfortable supporting Rangers, no matter their background or societal label. I'd hope that would be a goal for us going forward, as such we will need to have the 'Protestant identity/club' debate, what it means and how it fits into our future.

Isn't that more down to the order you read them in Andy? Certainly the highlighted articles on the home page are more eclectic. Someone even wrote one about Twitter very recently... I thought The Rangers Standard has managed to cover many topics in the short time I've known about it. It might be that archiving them by genre rather than chronologically has created your impression.

I wrote the Twitter article and maintain the TRS website. :whistle:

The articles listed on the front page of the TRS are sorted by date but you can also sort by article type here (of which we have 4 distinct sections):

http://www.therangersstandard.co.uk/index.php/articles

So let's just cut adrift a large part of our support because they might offend someone for no other reason than they stand by their beliefs, Christ who needs enemies.

Do we get shot of any Muslim fan because people of Muslim faith happen to be terrorists? Of course not.

Do we get shot of any affiliation to the Queen and being British because it upsets the uber nationalists & the republican element in our country? Of course not.

We are a broad church we should celebrate that and leave the haters to look in the mirror and ask themselves why they hate us so much not the other way about.

When it comes right down to it we all have one thing in common a love for the greatest football on the planet that's what we should concentrating on not letting haters drive wedges between us.

Edited by GovanAllan