Great read from RM's Bluepeter9

PS In that scenario, the next generation of Dunfermline's fans may end up supporting Raith or Dundee Utd or Hearts - which could boost the numbers of those teams' supporters and make them stronger.

or they could just watch EPL teams on sky .

That already happens and is why Scottish teams receive so little from Sky. It adds little to their income as Scots are already paying them. I couldn't believe the number of Scots who had Sky Sports but no Setanta.

PS In that scenario, the next generation of Dunfermline's fans may end up supporting Raith or Dundee Utd or Hearts - which could boost the numbers of those teams' supporters and make them stronger.

Spot on Cal if we lost half the teams in Scotland the next generation would just move on to their closest local team or the big two. My youngest are 7 they don't understand what's going on for them it's just Rangers no oldco or newco.

Interesting point. How many of us support a different club to our fathers or our brothers, indeed for some of us do your children support the same club as you?

I ask because I wonder if that is what would happen. My concern in this is that the next generation will end up supporting Man Utd or Real Madrid. If the culture of going to a game is lost and those clubs remain omnipresent on TV and in the media then surely that's where the next generation will go?

Interesting point. How many of us support a different club to our fathers or our brothers, indeed for some of us do your children support the same club as you?

I ask because I wonder if that is what would happen. My concern in this is that the next generation will end up supporting Man Utd or Real Madrid. If the culture of going to a game is lost and those clubs remain omnipresent on TV and in the media then surely that's where the next generation will go?

I chose Rangers independently of anyone else and think all kids should do so.

My younger brother is a bit of a glory hunter. He started off with Kilmarnock because they were local and his best mate supported them. He then realised they were rubbish and moved on to Aberdeen who were winning stuff under Alex Ferguson. Then they went rubbish so he dabbled in supporting Celtic due after they won the league under Jansen and the fact his long term girlfriend supported them (well she was a Catholic wasn't she). But that obviously didn't last long and so he switched to Man U, who he's supported ever since.

I think if youngsters are going to support top English teams (and it will only be the top ones), then that will happen regardless. They may get bored when they realise that going to a game takes quite a bit of travelling and about fifty quid a ticket. Unless they are just TV fans. It's kind of a different issue.

I think that maybe we should look at a well supported team like Third Lanark and ask where the generations of fans from the south of Glasgow went...