Dunfermline threat to sue SFA and SPA

Dunfermline threat to sue SFA and SPA if Dundee replace Rangers in top flight

By Brian Marjoribanks

PUBLISHED: 23:00, 15 July 2012 | UPDATED: 23:00, 15 July 2012

Comments (0)

Threat: John Yorkston

Threat: John Yorkston

Scottish football was last night facing further chaos after Dunfermline threatened to sue the SFA and SPL if Dundee replace Rangers in the top flight.

SPL clubs are due to vote on Monday on whether the relegated Pars or First Division runners-up Dundee should take the place of the fallen Ibrox giants.

But Dunfermline chairman John Yorkston has accused the game's governing body of 'a carve-up' after the leak of an email from SFA chief executive Stewart Regan in which he said Dundee would be invited to join the SPL.

Yorkston, who insisted his club will consult their lawyers if today's vote favours Dundee, told Sportsmail: 'Dunfermline are not invited to the SPL meeting but I'm not sure there is any point in going anyway as it seems a decision has been made behind our backs several weeks ago.

'It looks very much like it's a carve-up and it's scandalous, even if Mr Regan thinks it was in the best interests of Scottish football.

'If the decision goes against us today we'll have no choice but to speak to our lawyers.'

Sportsmail has also learned that, although a decision is expected to be made on Monday, league rules dictate it will be 14 days before Dundee or Dunfermline can be formally voted in as members.

That means the earliest both can learn their official fate will be two days after the SFL season kicks off with Ramsdens Cup ties on July 28.

A senior SPL source said: 'Even if it is decided which club to invite, the rules say it's 14 days before clubs can vote on a special resolution to rubberstamp it.

'Of course all 12 clubs could agree to a short-notice meeting to push it through but that's not happened once in the 14-year history of the SPL.

'So it's entirely possible the new member would learn its fate just days before the SPL kicks off.

'Also, if oldco Rangers don't play ball and willingly agree to hand over their SPL share for transfer to the new SPL member that could complicate things further.'

Dunfermline's threat of legal action heaps further pressure on Regan after SFL clubs voted newco Rangers into the Third Division.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz20jZ73gC1

Jog on Dunfermline. You finished bottom and Ross County replaced you, get over it.

Its the ONE and ONLY (I sound like Chesney Hawkes) thing I agree with the SPL about is putting Dundee up. But then again the way Dundee Utd have been acting Dunfermline would be worse for them so who cares.

1011:

So, questions being asked as to who in Hampden Green and McCoist are visiting...answers on a postcard please.

1008:

BREAKING NEWS

Newco Rangers owner Charles Green and manager Ally McCoist have arrived at Hampden.

hummm some 'breaking news' brom our beeb friends, could be an interesting day

hummm some 'breaking news' brom our beeb friends, could be an interesting day

I'll bet you CG and his consortium must be wondering what the fuck they have got themselves into

1433:

BREAKING NEWS

Dunfermline chairman John Yorkston: "I am trying to get a board meeting together tonight to see what happens from here. But, in all likelihood, we will be seeking legal advice.

"I have friends who are high up in the legal profession and advise me that we have a very good case.

"But kick-off is only two weeks away and the last thing we want is to hold up the start of the season.

1436:

Dunfermline chairman John Yorkston also told BBC Scotland: "We feel that the whole thing has been handled badly and we said that before this meeting.

"I am very disappointed by the decision but not surprised after everything that has come out about Mr Regan's email about him wanted Dundee to replace Rangers.

"I can't see any rationale for the decision to choose Dundee."