Should Penn State sanctions be retrospectively applied to Celtic?

I'm presuming most people know about Penn State's punishments for covering up child abuse in their American football college programme.

http://www.newburyportnews.com/opinion/x1510839923/Penn-State-pays-high-price-for-scandal

In administering what was termed both punitive and corrective action, the National Collegiate Athletic Association on Monday correctly slammed Penn State University, through its football program, for â??reckless and callous disregard of children.â?

We commend the NCAA for its swift and appropriate response to the Jerry Sandusky scandal. Its action comes one month after Sandusky was found guilty of 45 counts related to child sexual assault, and revelations of an independent investigation that several top university officials were aware of Sanduskyâ??s actions but did nothing to stop them. Those officials include former president Graham Spanier and the late coach Joe Paterno.

And if the NCAAâ??s actions werenâ??t enough, the Big Ten Conference on Monday doled out its own list of sanctions.

While Penn State avoided the NCAAâ??s â??death penalty,â? which would have banned the football program from any competition for at least a season, one could argue that the penalties were in fact much harsher.

Included were:

A $60 million fine, which is equivalent to the average gross annual revenue of the football program. These funds must be paid into an endowment for external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims and may not be used to fund such programs at the university.

A four-year football postseason ban and five yearsâ?? probation.

Vacation of all wins from 1998 through 2011.

----

Now imagine Celtic were retrospectively given the same punishment.

That would mean a £38m fine now and about 8 years of trophies stripped from 1966 to 1974 which would wipe out 8 of their 9 in a row, 5 Scottish Cups, 5 league cups - and of course their European cup win.

Maybe we should campaign to have their trophies stripped...

Just spotted this cal.

What I will say is: If the shoe was on the other foot you can be sure that they would definitely be campaigning for us to have trophies stripped based on that precedent. No doubt about it.

I'm not saying we should do it because we believe in it. But to me it's an example of what they are doing to us. It's ridiculous but so is stripping our titles over some misconstrued paperwork.

However, this will show where their integrity lies.

The biggest problem I have with all the stuff that other teams' fans and most especially Celtic, is that if the shoe was on the other foot they would be saying the opposite - where is the sporting integrity there? It's all very well to say when clubs need to be punished and punished again but you have to apply the same rules to your own team - and not just because you're own team have not yet broken those rules.

One of the biggest signs of the this is when Celtic fans are told about their own EBT and they say, "yeah, but we finished second so you can't strip a title" which completely misses the point. They are saying that it's ok to punish like this as it won't affect them but if it did affect them then they wouldn't agree with the punishment.

This is all about bashing Rangers when any opportunity arises, it's nothing to do with integrity - quite the opposite.

Guest Dutchy

I don't know what shape any campaign would take, but I'm certainly sure the issue should be highlighted, again and again, if for nothing else thaan just to let them see what it's like to have everyone involved in a hate campaign against you.

If I remember rightly, the guy was convicted, but nothing happened to septic. I don't think it's being flippant to ask why.

I'm of the opinion that there should be no backdated sanctions for either club.

However, if I was to choose the most deserving crime for title stripping between the two, I would say covering up child abuse has a far greater case with a precedent of Penn State, while a different semantic argument about what constitutes a contract seems pretty silly which is reflected in no precedent in England. There is also the inconsistency that Celtic are not in the dock for dual contracts.

If the so-called crime so heinous that titles be stripped then they should be severely punished and possibly relegated.

There is also the difference that the SPL had all the information for 12 years about the EBT's and the HMRC investigation is irrelevant to this as it's about dual contracts, not the tax issue. The SPL did nothing which is basically incompetence which turns into unfair entrapments. In contrast, the child abuse cover was by it's very nature, kept from the authorities.

It's not like Celtic files reports of child abuse every year and the SFL chose to ignore it.

So while the child abuse is probably best forgotten about, it is being brought back to the surface by Celtic claiming that heinous crimes have to retroscpectively be punished and then picking on about the most innocuous thing possible.

I agree with most of the points here. But the trouble is that Celtic are far more organised and forthright in defending themselves. Right down to making statements about not making statements, they in effect get the result they want. With regards to child abuse, they have a pavlovian response on the issue, along the BJK chants; which stifles any meaningful debate and ensures that media types run a mile from discussing it.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sure UEFA will be interested in their wee jolly craicster flag at their CL qualifier!

http://twitter.com/OfficialConny/status/233263818531303425/photo/1

I'v never felt compelled to write a complaint to anyone about another person or groups conduct but this turns my stomach. We're being slated for allegedly singing TBB but they feel comfortable enough to fly a flag in support of an illegal and active terrorist organisation.