Is the tide starting to turn for Charles Green?

This is a genuine question from the standpoint of someone who has no axe to grind either way.

I know there will still be a hell of a lot of people out there who will carry the 'Anti - CG' banner for a long time for various reasons e.g. gut feeling, undelivered claims re investors (deeds?), stubborness, too proud to change opinion. And to reiterate, I'm not judging anyone regardless of what side of the fence you are on.

I just get the feeling that John Brown (and others) must feel that any head wind he felt in his sails is turning direction and blowing against him. This is not a go at JB (and I hope the thread doen't go that way as it's not intended). It could apply equally to BK.

I just get the feeling that the fans have no stomach for in-fighting and power struggles. I get the feeling that the most over-riding thought among the fans now is 'seige mentality' - time to get our wagons in a circle and start our fightback. CG could still prove to be bad for the Club ultimately - we don't know. From where I sit he seems to be winning people over rapidly (possibly due to being VERY streetwise, and knowing exactly the things the punters want to hear).

Is that how others see it? Can anyone see another genuine contender gain enough momentum in the current climate to gain control of the Club. Or more to the point, enough people supporting them in another power struggle?

John Brown stopped being relevant when he opened his mouth.

Charles Green has had my support from Day 1 but I will continue to watch him with very close caution.

The people who were flat out 'anti-Green' are morons.

Green's done a good job so far but one of my main concerns is he's not here for the long haul and therefore there's not much in it for him to focus on planning for the long term.

Edited by Daniel Amokachi

I don't think on this site there is many that are actually against Green apart from a few :), most have given him the benefit of the doubt from the start. He has got us back on track and letting Ally build a decent squad for the next few years. He is doing and saying all the right things and with the crowd last night and season ticket sales going well a lot of fans are not so against him now. I think FF has a different view though :whistle:

Green was greeted with much scepticism as any new owner would have been following Murray and Whyte. Perhaps Green did himself no favours with his bold statements about raising £30m etc and the fact he gained control ahead of the Blue Knights, Walter Smith, Douglas Park, Jim McColl etc but to be fair I'm not aware of anything he's done wrong so far.

Green and his investors are here to make Rangers profitable and get a return on their investment and the way we have been run over the past 10 to 15 years I don't see that as a bad thing. They will be looking to maximise revenue in a variety of different and grow our brand across the globe.

So far I think CG has done a good job.

Take the recent signings for example compared to last seasons attempts. Black, Shiels, Sandaza, Kyle, Emilson.....everyone of them concluded very quickly with no fuss. Granted they were all free agents, so no purchase price to be negotiated, but wage deals were still concluded quickly.

As for the investment levels.....I don't know exactly how much has been brought in, but I'm sure its a sizable amount. The goalposts have been constantly changing re. league status etc....this is bound to have an impact on investment levels. However, the situation has now stabilised and I'm sure there will be further investment brought in, probably to the levels CG originally stated (it's just taken a wee bit longer...)

I think Green is benefitting from Rangers fans now turning to the task of supporting the team. We’re back to the actually fitba’ and the fans see that as both a relief and a time to get behind the players and management and drive us back to the SPL as quickly and enjoyably as possible.

There is also the aspect of showing who we are to the rest of Scottish football and that we don’t do walking away. I personally think (and hope) the turnout for East Fife is only the start and those who suggested we’d only be getting 20k in the 3rd division will be getting a rude awakening. The current ticket prices are bound to help and could be good for a lot of people while we’re in recession and that could keep the huge numbers of our support strong compared to across the city.

I can imagine there will be a response from Celtic fans and that their numbers will be high this season – especially as they seem to always have something to prove that is unrelated to football and they are more coordinated and conditioned than us. However, if they are dominating a poor SPL for three years, a lot of their momentum could dwindle; whereas, the adventure of rising up the different leagues with different opposition should keep our fans interested each season as long as we gain straight promotions.

There’s nothing like a bit of momentum and sense of achieving something great to create a snowball effect that becomes an avalanche and you only have to look at the increasing interest in the Olympics with Team GB winning so many golds.

As for Green getting the credit, I’m not so sure how much he deserves. It’s like a King taking credit for the tide going out when it just happens naturally - but perhaps it’s a case of “if you build it, they will come” and he’s taken a Rangers in ruin and built it back up to something that the fans can come back and support.

I think he’s done plenty wrong at the beginning, but has learned a lot about Scottish football and Rangers fans in the past months and is now doing and saying the right things that will have bears dropping most of the animosity towards him. The club now seems to be in calmer waters and making progress which is gratifying to most.

There will still be suspicion for anyone who comes to our club just to make a profit and while many think that’s not such a bad thing, you just have to look at what happened to the banks when that philosophy is taken to its extreme conclusion.

If you watch the apprentice you’ll see supposedly some of the brightest young entrepreneurs in the country - but the thing that strikes me is that as soon as the pressure is on to make a good profit, they ALL start lowering the quality of the product and start shafting the customer. It seems like the natural thing to do in business – and the more short term your intentions, the worse it gets. But then, in the longer term, to sustain or increase your profits you can start disappearing up your own arse - like the banks, and face meltdown.

So where is the happy medium? Is it the family business that really cares about its product, its customers and its community? Well that doesn’t sound like the people investing in Rangers right now…

The long term future of the club is still by no means certain.