Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

a man like mccoist? as a manager, that man mccoist has been a complete flop, on the park an embarrassment to the club. anyone else would already be down the road after last seasons disgrace.

How has he been a complete flop? You haven't even seen him manage yet with a decent amount of stability at the club. In the most stable time we had he had one of the best starts to a season we've ever had.

But you can tell you are just make it up to how you want to see it. You have no consistent basis to judge a manager and as you incredibly weird backing of PLG shows. THAT guy was a flop and was 17 points behind Celtic and out of two cups at the halfway stage. The football on show was about the worst I've seen at Rangers since Souness came and the first time I was not confident about winning any game due to what was happening on the park.

The guy created his own crisis but didn't have the tenacity to work through it. McCoist has had the tenacity, guts and loyalty to work through the worst time in our 140 year existence. He's shown he can manage when he gets his team together and the worst you can say about him is that he's not brilliant before he's assembled his team and not a complete genius when the club goes into meltdown.

Where would you expect Rangers to come with a ten point penalty in a season? A comfortable second? Ally was SUCCESSFUL in achieving that despite losing his best players and having to cope with the psychological effects of cutting the wages of his squad by 75%, never mind the rest of the psychological effects of the off the park problems.

PLG was struggling to achieve second with a decent budget and no effects of administration including the 10 point deduction.

There are plenty on here who don't think Ally is the best manager in the world or are blind to anything. The difference is that we're intelligent enough to give reasonable and consistent measurements of a manager's tenure. We also insightful enough to know when mitigation is in order. We also don't make up stuff just to disparage a current manager of the team we support.

A manager is generally judged by his league position - just ask Kenny Dalgleish. The trouble with cups is that they are one offs and difficult to judge. In the circumstances Ally achieved enough there to keep him in the job.

I've already had a post which described Alliy's season as a scenario in a football manager game. Even in a game, no-one would put up with what he did, finish comfortably second and put up with being sacked. You'd be asking for your money back.

Now imagine you're playing the game and have you club newco'ed, you lose 23 players for next to nothing, are relegated 3 divisions, are not allowed a pre-season, have a transfer embargo coming up, you're club is struggling for investment, you need to bring in free players who are of a standard but are willing to play in the bottom division but are not allowed to do so until the day before your first game, you have two international players who are not sure what they want to do etc, etc.

You play three games with two wins and a draw and are sacked...

Would you seriously call that game fair?

I think you need to bugger off and support Man City, if you're calling McCoist a disgrace for last season, you know nothing about football or even life. You're better off with the Disney world of bored billionaires, you're just not equipped to deal with the ups and downs of the real world.

I know this will sound like just trying to cover McCoist's arse but even in that Falkirk game we lost that thanks to an individual error. If memory serves me McCoist did what many on here have been screaming that he never does - make changes soon enough. We were playing horribly, down 2-0 and he brought Naismith on - we get it back to 2-2 and then Alexander has a howler. Again, difficult to legislate for that.

Utd we werent at the races - it happens. We as fans hate it, but it happens.

I agree with you, there ARE alarm bells - but 3 games into the season with a much changed squad, some of whom are playing but clearly dont want to be here - but given his resrouces he has no option but to play them, or play kids in their stead.

I am no McCoist worshipper (as a manager) as CumbernauldGers would have you believe - I just prefer to give him the first few months of the season till things settle down. Whether we like it or not there have been extenuating circumstances this summer. Should we be beating all and sundry in the 3rd ? Of course we should. But we have lost all of our best performers, or nigh on all, and it is only in the last couple of weeks that we have known if we would be playing football and also if we can even sign any players.

Even last season, the football may have been dire at times, and there is no doubting it was, but we were still in the title race when we went into admin, despite Cumbernauld's protestations otherwise - and there were also times we actually played very well - we pumped Celtic at Ibrox 3-2 going on a cricket score whilst playing some excellent stuff. So the ability is there to do it, it is getting them to do it consistently - and that is the responsibility of BOTH management AND playing staff.

Still too early for me to make the change.

I doubt anyone realistically expects a change, Green would only take such a risk of angering fans if things got really terrible.

rangers are a big part of my life and very important too, sad maybe, but it is.

well he hasnt done very well has he.

it's not sad, we all care but just show it differently but over the years I don't tend to let bad results bother me much as it doesn't just affect you it's affects everyone else you come in contact with.

He hasn't done great lets be honest and if he doesn't deliver he will be sacked i'm sure or moved elsewhere, i'm not a fan of his tactics either, i just don't understand our own fans calling our manager shite or whatever, if you don't like him fair enough but I think he or anyone else in their positions deserve a bit more respect sometimes.

The circumstances have changed markedly from last season.

Like I say, I'm not defending McCoist as he's not impressed me but he's not going to be sacked anytime soon and neither should he as it stands.

Charles Green isn't about to make such a potentially divisive decision just when he's creating some unity, things will need to get really bad.

I doubt anyone realistically expects a change, Green would only take such a risk of angering fans if things got really terrible.

Agreed, but many are calling for it nonetheless.

There has been enough turmoil and upheaval at the club recently, I think keeping McCoist for stability isnt a bad thing - but only if we are still picking up points and hit the top of the table.

Like any other manager, if we arent top and doing well, a change will be made - but it is highly unlikely it would be made in August.

McCoist still has a feel-good about him with many fans for the way he has handled himself through all of this - and Charles Green will know it - so McCoist will have time on his side right now.

But he needs to make sure that those players understand this league wont accept prima donnas thinking they will stroll it without trying, and Saturday proved that. Hopefully it is the wake up call they need - not a bad wake up call either, one where you are away from home against the team largely considered to be 2nd behind you in the league, and you also walked away without a defeat.

Yup, I am full of wishful thinking that Saturday was the kick in the baws many of these players needed.

Charles Green isn't about to make such a potentially divisive decision just when he's creating some unity, things will need to get really bad.

Agreed.

On the other hand, his investors may not fancy Ally either so they may be equally happy to move him on quickly if they get the chance. We simply don't know what they're thinking.

Generally, I think the old adage about the Old Firm only being 3 bad results from a crisis is true. Even in the Third Division, we'll get away with the odd bad result/performance but any more than that, then the fans will get annoyed - as we've seen on here over the last few days.

Saturday was dreadful - no excuses. The pressure is on Ally again...

Agreed, but many are calling for it nonetheless.

There has been enough turmoil and upheaval at the club recently, I think keeping McCoist for stability isnt a bad thing - but only if we are still picking up points and hit the top of the table.

Like any other manager, if we arent top and doing well, a change will be made - but it is highly unlikely it would be made in August.

McCoist still has a feel-good about him with many fans for the way he has handled himself through all of this - and Charles Green will know it - so McCoist will have time on his side right now.

But he needs to make sure that those players understand this league wont accept prima donnas thinking they will stroll it without trying, and Saturday proved that. Hopefully it is the wake up call they need - not a bad wake up call either, one where you are away from home against the team largely considered to be 2nd behind you in the league, and you also walked away without a defeat.

Yup, I am full of wishful thinking that Saturday was the kick in the baws many of these players needed.

I'm happy to stick with it provided we win the league comfortably which should still happen.

However, Ally's job could be on the line whenever we get back to the top flight, especially if we're going for a title challenge straight away.