Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

I'm surprised we managed to convince so many players to come and play in the 4th tier of Scottish football for so little. If reported figures are to be believed the SPL players we signed are on less than half the wages of Jig and Alexander and are probably being paid no more than they would have been were we still in the SPL when we signed them.

Granted, in one or two cases we might have gone for a better alternative if we were still in the SPL, but that comes back to your point about the window being so tight and options limited.

It's all fine and well for some to say in hindsight that we should have signed the best players from the lower divisions who would have cost a fraction of the wages we're currently shelling out, but I just don't think it's realistic to assume that would have worked out better for anything more than the clubs coffers.

I personally don't buy into all this stuff about lower league players even being an option. There may be the exception but these guys that have looked ok against us in a one off match are likely playing the game of their life. If you were to watch them the next week playing in front of 300 people I doubt you would have the same view. Playing for Rangers is another world. We have signed plenty of decent top league players over the years on the back of good performances against us but who have failed miserably as they can't handle the pressures and expectations of being a Ranger.

I'm surprised we managed to convince so many players to come and play in the 4th tier of Scottish football for so little. If reported figures are to be believed the SPL players we signed are on less than half the wages of Jig and Alexander and are probably being paid no more than they would have been were we still in the SPL when we signed them.

Granted, in one or two cases we might have gone for a better alternative if we were still in the SPL, but that comes back to your point about the window being so tight and options limited.

It's all fine and well for some to say in hindsight that we should have signed the best players from the lower divisions who would have cost a fraction of the wages we're currently shelling out, but I just don't think it's realistic to assume that would have worked out better for anything more than the clubs coffers.

If you think for a second Black, Sheils, Sandaza & Templeton were on anywhere near the wage we are paying them your very much mistaken.

If you think for a second Black, Sheils, Sandaza & Templeton were on anywhere near the wage we are paying them your very much mistaken.

You seem to have missread my post. I didn't say anything about their wages at their previous clubs. What I DID say is that they 'are probably being paid no more than they would have been were we still in the SPL when we signed them.'

In other words I think it's a myth that we had to concede to extortionate wage demands to attract players to the 3rd division.

What they were on at their previous club is irrelevant. When moving from a small club to a big club players and agents expect higher wages.

• 3 weeks later...