Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

Those 9 new players sounds "not too shabby" but when they arent your 1st, 2nd or even 3rd choice because your chairman is a financial charlatan then it makes it hard to get things the way you want them, wouldnt you agree ?

I could go and sign 9 new players for Rangers... but they could all be shite - it is the quality of player you bring in that is the important factor and I thought it was well known that pretty much not one (other than probably Wallace) of those signings were Ally's 1st choice signings.

Beg to differ Craig. Said it a hundred times. It's the "team" and the tactics. Footballing history is littered with "lesser" names getting one over on the big boys.

Where it evens itself out is the depth of quality in the squad over the course of a season.

There is absolutely no reason why our present squad couldn't knock Celtic, Dundee Utd or Hertz etc out of a Cup this season. There is also absolutely no reason why Peterhead couldn't beat us on their own - or our patch.

It's about a team, the spirit and the tactics.

Put Man U or Barca against Rangers a couple of seasons' ago. Prediction - a humping. Yet we get tactical draws.

coaching staff and players had no idea, i promise you. please take my word for it, i know for a fact ally mccoist had no idea what was going on until the very day it was announced.

It was spelled out by AJ before Whyte even took over that administration was a possibility. When Whyte took over he said that he'd do all he could to avoid it but that the EBT case result could leave us with no option. He then tried to sell Jelavic on transfer deadline day only to be talked out of it by Ally and GS who has since said that from Whyte's reaction when we went out of Europe it was clear we were in serious financial trouble. In the lead up to Jelavic's transfer the player was quoted as saying that the club had severe money problems and needed to sell him. Even on here while we had the 15 point lead, we were all discussing how we could go into admin at that stage and still win the league. IIRC it was way back then that the newco option was initially proposed.

All of this, yet you think Ally and the players didn't have a clue?

It was spelled out by AJ before Whyte even took over that administration was a possibility. When Whyte took over he said that he'd do all he could to avoid it but that the EBT case result could leave us with no option. He then tried to sell Jelavic on transfer deadline day only to be talked out of it by Ally and GS who has since said that from Whyte's reaction when we went out of Europe it was clear we were in serious financial trouble. In the lead up to Jelavic's transfer the player was quoted as saying that the club had severe money problems and needed to sell him. Even on here while we had the 15 point lead, we were all discussing how we could go into admin at that stage and still win the league. IIRC it was way back then that the newco option was initially proposed.

Speculation as I mentioned.

As long as they were getting paid as normal and on time there was no reason at all for the players to be effected prior to the event itself, very weak excuse for me. Lets also rememeber that Craig Whyte signed 9 players and gave out lucrative long term contracts to key first team players, so it's not as if it was obvious that we were scrimping and saving every last penny even with the Jelavic speculation, considering what happened it's amazing to think that Whyte did sign anyone and gave the likes of Whittaker ridiculous wages.

So like all of us they'd have been aware of the noises but it was similar noises that there'd been since 2008 so it was really no reason for the collapse.

i didnt think, i knew. he had no clue it was coming until after it was announced later that day.

aj was made an outcast and ridiculed by all those on team whyte. you can imagine what side ally was on being club manager. he had no idea administration was coming, sure it was spoke about, it was brought up years ago but always rebuffed and denied. the eventual administration process had nothing to do with the EBT tax case either, it came about as a result of craig whyte making a mockery of the tax man and basically trying to bump him. he had the chance to get more money for jelavic earlier in the transfer window, why not take that if we were so desperate for it? everyone knew rangers have had seriosu money problems since the turn of the millenium, we had been downsizing every year since then, it was no secret and certainly not groundbreaking stuff form jelavic. at the time it looked like he was using it as an excuse to leave so it didnt look lik he wanted to leave, which we all knew he did.

Speculation as I mentioned.

As long as they were getting paid as normal and on time there was no reason at all for the players to be effected prior to the event itself, very weak excuse for me. Lets also rememeber that Craig Whyte signed 9 players and gave out lucrative long term contracts to key first team players, so it's not as if it was obvious that we were scrimping and saving every last penny even with the Jelavic speculation, considering what happened it's amazing to think that Whyte did sign anyone and gave the likes of Whittaker ridiculous wages.

So like all of us they'd have been aware of the noises but it was similar noises that there'd been since 2008 so it was really no reason for the collapse.

spot on, i have just said something similar above.

But that cant surely be put down to McCoist though can it ?

So he was basically hamstrung by having his best player Naismith injured as well as his other best player (Jelavic) not trying. And if Jelavic's head was turned then it didnt matter who the manager was, he wasnt going to get Jelavic to try.

Even the Tims claimed that they were only mince because Izaguirre was injured. So they were shite because they lost one player - yet we are berating McCoist when he was without his TWO best players. And there were other injuries too, Lafferty for instance.

I'm not berating McCoist because we lost the league, I'm extremely worried that he does seem to be incapable of learning from his mistakes or have the faintest clue how to solve the problems his team have. He also seems to be incapable of changing a game except to say right guys big punt up to the front guys.

He keeps telling us he wants to play this attacking free flowing football then sends out his team to do the exact opposite.

saying that i dont believe these players are playing for ally and never have.

That's a sweeping generalization because every single player is different. Some of our players won't really respect or care much about Ally McCoist or any other manager they play under because they just enjoy getting paid a fortune for kicking a football about and have egos bigger than planets. Other players treat the sport like a job, but try to go about their business professionally including respecting and listening to their gaffer/boss. Then there's the players who'll just be really proud to be playing for Rangers and really proud to be playing for a legend like Ally McCoist. Then there's all of the other variations in character, personality and attitude that play a part in how individual players interact with their teamates and manager. So my point is just that some of our players are indeed playing for ally, some of them are playing for Ally and the club, some just for the club, some just for themselves... The list goes on. That might seem overly pedantic, but it's also more accurate than just saying "these players aren't playing for Ally".

That's a sweeping generalization because every single player is different. Some of our players won't really respect or care much about Ally McCoist or any other manager they play under because they just enjoy getting paid a fortune for kicking a football about and have egos bigger than planets. Other players treat the sport like a job, but try to go about their business professionally including respecting and listening to their gaffer/boss. Then there's the players who'll just be really proud to be playing for Rangers and really proud to be playing for a legend like Ally McCoist. Then there's all of the other variations in character, personality and attitude that play a part in how individual players interact with their teamates and manager. So my point is just that some of our players are indeed playing for ally, some of them are playing for Ally and the club, some just for the club, some just for themselves... The list goes on. That might seem overly pedantic, but it's also more accurate than just saying "these players aren't playing for Ally".

its certainly much easier to say they are not playing for the manager, that is how it looks anyway. i dont see one player in our current squad proud to play for ally, not one. i see alexander proud to be a footballer, mcculloch proud to play for rangers but the rest look like it is all about money and they couldnt give a toss. bocanegra is a top professional, we can only guess he feels about playing 4th tier football though, no doubt he is looking to move on privately as has been told to by his national team coach. far too many have poor attitudes. andy littles nose went out of joint after we signed a couple of strikers, goian hasnt bothered turning up yet this season, broadfoot is playing like he is franz beckenbauer and doesnt need to try, i think lee wallace looks like he is playing for a move. i suppose its all opinions and people are bound to disagree.