Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

We'll never have a better chance to get a "better" and more forward-thinking infrastructure in place for management, youth, scouting etc. that has to be balanced by the need to get back through the divisions as soon as possible. I don't think that's as easy a job as some think it will be and the reality of playing attractive football in division three in itself (particularly away from home) is going to be a challenge.

But, playing devil's advocate here, we're assuming we'll win division three and should be able to build on that and get through division two. What happens if we get to division one or the spl and we're still playing the same sort of football that we have been over the last couple of years where there seems to be a lack of creativity and a plan b other than hoofing the ball up the park? Are we happy then to contest the spl and give Celtic "a game" and overlook the bigger picture?

Just think it would be a shame to waste this opportunity, so would be good to hear from management to explain that while they need to balance the need for experience alongside blooding younger players in the lower leagues, that hopefully they're going to sue whatever chance they have to build for the future.

That is partly our fault as fans as well. If we didnt demand results each and every week then someone may actually get the time to change the philosophy and accept that sometimes the pretty football wont culminate into positive results.

Yeah because in Scotland you can either win or play good? You cant have both. Thats a joke excuse that has been used to cover up our play for years.

Yeah because in Scotland you can either win or play good? You cant have both. Thats a joke excuse that has been used to cover up our play for years.

You arent reading what I am typing.

Like Falkirk? Norwich? Celtic under Mowbray or Burns?

You're just coming out with the same old stuff all the time that just doesn't make much sense.

You can play to win and that can be ugly or aesthetic and if you succeed you win.

You can play to look good and if you succeed you'll look good, but that does not mean you'll win. Playing "nice" football does not win games - there is no cause and effect there.

The Harlem Globe trotters are probably great players but I doubt they'd win the NBA. They don't have a team trying to stop them playing for every second of the game.

I doubt you've ever played competitive football, as it will be rare to get a team who goes out just to "look good". Most players want to play good football but when they get into the game it's not that easy and I doubt you'll go along to your local park to enjoy the beautiful game on display.

It's this kind of attitude that stops the crowd getting behind the team and helping them win.

I'd rather the manager worked out the best way for the team to win, rather than the best way to look good.

Only a moron would try and argue Rangers have been nothing but a joke in terms of coaching and football style for the last 20 years. Other than a brief spell under wee Dick.

Rangers are a joke and their fans who don't believe that are morons? And you say you are a fan? That's the real joke.

Yes, Rangers were much better in the early eighties and nine in a row for Celtic was brilliant before that - but I suppose judging by your posts, you probably weren't even alive then. You might find Rangers a joke in your lifetime but their are plenty on here who have really enjoyed supporting the club over the years with plenty of trophies and a few European runs and I fail to see how that makes them morons.

That's about the most disparaging thing I've heard about Rangers and its fans I've ever heard on here and shows your level.

We'll never have a better chance to get a "better" and more forward-thinking infrastructure in place for management, youth, scouting etc. that has to be balanced by the need to get back through the divisions as soon as possible. I don't think that's as easy a job as some think it will be and the reality of playing attractive football in division three in itself (particularly away from home) is going to be a challenge.

But, playing devil's advocate here, we're assuming we'll win division three and should be able to build on that and get through division two. What happens if we get to division one or the spl and we're still playing the same sort of football that we have been over the last couple of years where there seems to be a lack of creativity and a plan b other than hoofing the ball up the park? Are we happy then to contest the spl and give Celtic "a game" and overlook the bigger picture?

Just think it would be a shame to waste this opportunity, so would be good to hear from management to explain that while they need to balance the need for experience alongside blooding younger players in the lower leagues, that hopefully they're going to sue whatever chance they have to build for the future.

Building for the future is a fallacy - just ask Arsenal and have a look at Man U, Man City and Chelsea.