Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

26k is a massive attendance for a midweek cup game that's not on season books. It was the biggest in the UK and far bigger than many years in the past - and we were playing Falkirk after being relegated to the lowest league in Scottish football.

I think it's amazing, and if we get over 20k for these games it will be some of the healthiest in our history.

The fact is that we are playing well at Ibrox and pleasing the crowd, so what is there to stop them coming?

If the away attendances dwindle, why should that affect Green?

I find Ally's comments in stark contrast to PLG's who pretty much ignored what was going on. You can't fix what you don't acknowledge and at least Ally and the players have done that.

It's time for them to start making it up to us.

b411ca46741f9a43a0338b6571da4089_S.jpg

ALLY McCOIST insists his completely re-built team will come good on their travels after three disappointing draws in the opening five matches of SFL 3.

The manager revealed there was a team meeting to discuss the situation after the latest blow came in Saturdayâ??s goal-less draw at Annan.

However he remains confident that his new side will overcome the current difficulties in the weeks ahead.

He said: â??We had a meeting were views were aired and thatâ??s a good thing but there were no raised voices.

â??Everyone knows we have to turn our away draws into victories but there has to be a realisation that we are in a transitional period as a team and as a club.

â??There is no doubt about the places we are going to the opposition are having the time of their lives and rightly so.

â??These players are saying itâ??s the biggest game of their lives when they play Rangers so that in itself is a compliment to us.

â??We have to accept that and what we have to do is do better when we have the ball.

â??We all know the pressures of getting results at this football club no matter which competition we are in.

â??The flip side of the coin is that we have had three draws away from home so itâ??s not a disaster but I do accept we should be playing better with the ball away from home.

â??Iâ??m fully focused and certain that the results away from home will come but itâ??s not going to be an overnight fix.

â??You look at the team that played Celtic last season, none of them started at the weekend. We donâ??t have Jelavic, Naismith, Davis, Edu or any of these guys â?? they have moved on.

â??So we are going to need a bit of time. Having said that I do know that managers donâ??t get time. At the same time everyone has to have an appreciation of where the club is at the moment, but weâ??ll get there.â?

I'm not convinced ally knows what the problem is or if he does he doesn't know how to fix it.

its been there since he took over and replacing almost every player hasn't changed that.

makes you think the problems him.

I find Ally's comments in stark contrast to PLG's who pretty much ignored what was going on. You can't fix what you don't acknowledge and at least Ally and the players have done that.

It's time for them to start making it up to us.

Indeed.

The funny thing is that Ally himself states that it simply isnt good enough. He also states that managers dont get time, so he recognises that he himself could be on a shoogly peg.

He also, rightly IMO, states that this is a completely new team that needs time to settle and blend as a team. Yes, we have SPL players and yes they should be better than those we go up against, but players DO need time to settle.

I would be intrigued as to which parts GA finds to be "crap and more crap" - because he seems to be suggesting that Ally's statement in full is crap - so does he think it was crap when Ally stated that the performances and results werent good enough or that managers dont get time.... because if he doesnt agree with that then he is being contrarian to his own previous posts.

The funny thing is.... and this is VERY subjective, I think that if Ally thinks he cant take the club and team forward then I get the impression that he would readily raise his hand, admit it, thank everyone for the priviledge and honour to manage the club and move on. He certainly could get a better paid job in TV than he gets paid at Rangers and with far less hassle. So he clearly thinks he still can take the club forward.

Some of us wont like that because he is considered to be useless as a manager. Fair enough, that is your prerogative. But, and this is what irks me, we as a support have been saying for a long time now that we would sacrifice a season or two in order to bring through the kids and create a "new era". Some of those kids ARE now playing and getting the game time, we have also signed some of these kids up on longer term contracts to protect ourselves (and them too) - but Rome wasnt built in a day, it takes time.

I am sure every single one of us wanted us to win every single game this season in the SFL3, but it was unlikely to happen. We have virtually a new team which needs time to gel together - some would say they have now had enough time and I would actually be inclined to agree that the team have had enough time now to understand what is required of them.

Ibrox clearly isnt the problem. Playing on the road is. Teams we play against will be treating us like their cup final every single game, home and away, so it cant be the "Cup Final" excuse. So what else can it be ? Pitches we play on are smaller than Ibrox so it could be congested space, I can see this being plausible. The problem for our players, if this is indeed the case, is that they go to an away ground and think they have 3 seconds on the ball because that is what they have at Ibrox but due to the size of pitch they actually only have 2 - and a second is a big difference in football. So the problem ? They need to adapt when they are on the road and play the ball quicker, better control and better movement - it is the latter two which trouble me the most. Our movement is often non-existent, and that was the case even before we lost a team full of internationals. The control from some players is horrendous too and if you cant control the ball well in this league then you will get eaten up because of the lack of time on the ball anyway. We have creative players (McKay, Templeton, Shiels) but we also arent supporting them enough. We are giving them the ball and saying "off you go, you do all the creative side" - we should be getting bodies forward in numbers.

But even given all of the above, I think our biggest problem is the lethargy in which we seem to start EVERY SINGLE GAME. We should be coming out the traps at teams and looking to finish them off inside the 1st half hour. THEN we can take the foot off the gas a bit. There are a few games I recall when this happened (different set of players but still....) - Killie away to secure the league - we BATTERED them for the 1st half hour and they were shell-shocked. ICT at Ibrox, we came out and BATTERED them and scored 3 in the 1st 15 minutes. Job done.

But all season long, and last season, and even seasons prior to that, we came out looking like we had just finished a game, not started it. And it allows our opponents to feel they have a chance. WRONG ATTITUDE. Come out, batter them, tell them this is THE RANGERS you care playing and there will be NO easy day at the office for you. They will start to think "Uh-oh, this is the Rangers we feared we would be up against" and then they crumble.

But, no, we come out, slow laborious passing, just trying to keep possession but doing so in areas which are not dangerous, playing keep ball - but doing nothing with it. The opponents dont fear that, especially when you arent creating any chances and keeping possession in areas which arent dangerous.

Sort it out Ally, get the TEMPO lifted, and lifted considerably, and you will get the results you seek. You wont always get the performance you want but most of the fans will be onside given the effort is there. I can accept poor performances, we ALL have bad days at the office, but a lack of EFFORT ? I cant accept that on any level.

We have virtually a new team which needs time to gel together - some would say they have now had enough time and I would actually be inclined to agree that the team have had enough time now to understand what is required of them.

I'm not sure that I agree they've had enough time together as a team yet Craig. Enough time to understand what's required of them, yes, but not enough time playing together yet in my view. Here's some reasons why:

• Today's date is September 17th.
  • Carlos Bocanegra started all 7 games up until leaving to go out on loan on August 31st.
  • Dorin Goian started our games, but left to go out on loan on August 21st.
  • Kirk Broadfoot started our games until leaving the club in the last week of August.
  • Andy Little started every game for us in August, but hasn't played since September 2nd.
  • David Templeton's first game for us was on September 2nd.
  • Sebastien Faure didn't get his Gers debut until August 30th.
  • Ross Perry didn't get his first start of the season until August 26th.
  • Anestis Argyriou's first game for us wasn't until August 26th.
  • Emilson Cribari's first start for us was August 21st.
  • Sandaza's only had 3 starts & his appearance at Annan was the first he'd played in 3 weeks.
  • Robbie Crawford's made 5 appearances, but they only add up to about 80 mins of football in 5 games.

That's not a complete list, but it does at least show that about half of our team have only been playing together for 3 or 4 weeks tops. Factor in losing Boca, Goian and Broadfoot who played most of our games in August and there's a hell of a lot of changes happening in a short space of time.

I don't know if you remember me saying this or not, but back in August I was saying that I thought we should in theory consider the start of the season for judging Ally as being September 1st when the transfer window was closed because that's when he would have his final squad for the season. If you do that or at least try to think about it that way just for a moment, then we've actually only played 2 games this month because of the international break and Ally has only had 2 competitive games with his final, completed new squad of players.