The Most Important Twelve Days of Ally McCoist's Managerial Career So Far?

The same Arsenal who consistently finish in the top 4, play in the Champions league and compete at the highest level on a very low net expenditure compared to other premiership clubs?

They finish fourth because they can spend 50odd million a season in Sky money alone (sic! & whether they do is another matter*) and play in the champion's league because UEFA deemed it okay to have at least four English team in there, at least three of which are not champions. That said, methinks Arsenal's last silverware was the FA cup in 2005. Now, how many Bears do you reckon would swap their trophy cabinet with ours in exchange of the grand style Arsenal football?

*Yet, Fabianski, Szsczesny. Sagna, Djourou, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Arteta, Coquelin, Diaby, Miyachi, Song, Chamakh, Gervinho, Giroud, van Persie and Podolski did cost a few quid ...

They finish fourth because they can spend 50odd million a season in Sky money alone (sic! & whether they do is another matter*) and play in the champion's league because UEFA deemed it okay to have at least four English team in there, at least three of which are not champions. That said, methinks Arsenal's last silverware was the FA cup in 2005. Now, how many Bears do you reckon would swap their trophy cabinet with ours in exchange of the grand style Arsenal football?

My point exactly.....would the Gers fans be happy finishing 2nd every year as long as we played exciting, attractive football???

*Yet, Fabianski, Szsczesny. Sagna, Djourou, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Arteta, Coquelin, Diaby, Miyachi, Song, Chamakh, Gervinho, Giroud, van Persie and Podolski did cost a few quid ...

Arsenal's net expenditure is far lower than many teams in the Premiership and they consistently finish above sides that have spent more.

My point exactly.....would the Gers fans be happy finishing 2nd every year as long as we played exciting, attractive football???

If we were to play superior football the likely conclusion is we would perform better not to an inferior level. It's basic logic. There is some backward idea in Scottish football if we try to attack and play positively, somehow we are guaranteed to get a negative outcome.

The most successful sides in Europe are the ones that keep the most possession and have the highest accuracy to their passing. Nobody ever won the champions league packing 10 men behind the ball and hammering long ball after long ball.

I really can't believe I'm having to bother pointing out such common sense.

If playing the short passing game is some sort of barrier to success, I wonder why all the teams worth watching across Europe adopt this philosophy.

Edited by Daniel Amokachi

I think Daniel makes a fair point.

The quality in Scottish football is all too often poor yet people are too concerned about sectarianism and the like to ask why we struggle to do the basics right.

I'm not saying defensive football or the direct route don't have their place depending on the context (opposition, weather, pitch, match situation) but last week against Peterhead it really depressed me how we were unable to keep the ball for more than 2 or 3 passes at a time.