Rangers Women - Games and Updates

Result:

Women's World Cup Qualifier

Scotland 7 Bosnia 0

Our Ladies return to League business this weekend. Rangers have made a short documentary about our Ladies team, which can be viewed on the club's homepage.

Fixture

Scottish Women Premier League - Sunday 29th September, Petershill Park, KO 14.00

Rangers Ladies vs Spartans

Oh, and on an unsavoury sidenote, Scottish football pundit Tam Cowan spouts some bile upon the women's game. The paper doesn't deserve and hits for this ...

Tam Cowan: Fir Park should have been torched after it hosted women's football

THE Daily Record's own Gene Hunt - Mr TAM COWAN - gives his take from the dark ages on the Scotland women's match at Fir Park this week.

IF I had my way, today’s Premiership fixture between Motherwell and Ross County would have been cancelled.

That’s because Fir Park should have been torched on Thursday in order to cleanse the stadium after it played host to women’s football.

Why do they still persevere with this turgid spectacle? And why was it allowed anywhere near Motherwell’s hallowed turf?

Admittedly, I’ve not seen a lot of women’s football - just a few little snatches - and I’m not having a pop at the people taking part.

Just the other week, I bumped into a couple of women footballers (I’ve still got the bruises to prove it) and they were honestly two of the nicest blokes I’ve ever met.

But no amount of politically correct claptrap could force me to say I enjoyed a single second of that guff at Fir Park on Thursday night.

And those of you who disagree must be telling porkies.

Quite frankly – and at the risk of getting a slap from my old pal – I found it about as aesthetically pleasing as Joan Burnie’s full frontal pic in yesterday’s paper.

BBC Alba must be scraping the bottom of the barrel if they’re now broadcasting this tosh live.

Aye, give me an hour of some dreary Highlander reciting poems about the fishing industry – in Gaelic – any day of the week. Incredibly, the game was live on telly AND radio!

I can only imagine they were looking for the pundits to swell the crowd (if "crowd" isn’t too strong a word).

I initially assumed it was a closed-doors game. I haven’t seen Fir Park so quiet since Harri Kampman was in the dugout.

If women’s football is so good, where the hell are all the supporters? Surely even the most fervent fans must agree it’s time to chuck it?

Face it, folks, nobody cares about women’s football. There was barely a thousand inside the ground, shocking for an international in ANY sport, and I guess putting the girlies head-to-head with Emmerdale and Eastenders was a bit daft.

For anyone remotely interested, Scotland won 7-0 and Bosnia-Herzegovina were utterly dire.

I honestly think they’d struggle to take three or four goals off St Mirren.

This was a Group 4 game and the Bosnian team looked as if they’d just arrived in one of their vans.

Did you see their goalie? She put the baws into Bosnia (although on the off-chance she reads this, I hasten to add I’m only kidding).

Editor's note: Folks, we would like to point out Tam is a professional funnyman and what he has to say should be taken with a large pinch of salt. Also, his views are not necessarily those of the Daily Record as a whole. If you wish to complain, his email address is tam.cowan@dailyrecord.co.uk

Note to the editor: maybe his neolithic views should have been kept in private then?

Edited by der Berliner

That's a surprise ...

Tam Cowan dropped by BBC Scotland after sexist newspaper column

Herald - Saturday 28 September 2013

Tam Cowan was ousted today by BBC Scotland from his normal Saturday lunchtime radio show after the publication of a newspaper column that was widely seen as unacceptably sexist.

His article in the Daily Record belittled the Scottish women's football team's 7-0 win Bosnia Herzegovina at Fir Park, which was shown on BBC Alba TV.

Cowan's column, which included a number of crude jokes, caused a storm of angry reaction on social media networks, and prompted the paper to add an editor's footnote to the online version, saying it should be "taken with a large pinch of salt".

However, BBC Scotland decided to ban him from Off the Ball today. Management are thought to have seen the column as unacceptable. It is not known yet if his absence is temporary or permanent.

Cowan, 44, was taken off air before the show went out at lunchtime, and was replaced at short notice by Annie McGuire, who has previously worked with Jim Traynor on his BBC Radio fans' call-in.

At the start of Off the Ball, co-host Stuart Cosgrove made no reference to the Daily Record column, but explained Cowan's absence by saying: "Alas, Tam's been delayed today…we're looking for him. He's out there somewhere."

Cowan's Record column began: "If I had my way, today's Premiership fixture between Motherwell and Ross County would have been cancelled. That's because Fir Park should have been torched on Thursday in order to cleanse the stadium after it played host to women's football. Why do they still persevere with this turgid spectacle? And why was it allowed anywhere near Motherwell's hallowed turf?"

He added: "Admittedly, I've not seen a lot of women's football…and I'm not having a pop at the people taking part. Just the other week, I bumped into a couple of women footballers (I've still got the bruises to prove it) and they were honestly two of the nicest blokes I've ever met…

"…Face it, folks, nobody cares about women's football. There was barely a thousand inside the ground, shocking for an international in ANY sport, and I guess putting the girlies head-to-head with Emmerdale and Eastenders was a bit daft."

Among the critics on Twitter were Scottish Tory leader Ruth Davidson, who tweeted: "Fire up the Hillman Imp, Tam Cowan's going back to the 70s with his views on women's football."

SNP MSP Humza Yousaf added: "Invite Tam Cowan to come watch Glasgow Girls FC with me one day - he'll eat his words! Top quality football and great atmosphere too!"

Comedian Janey Godley said: "I like Tam Cowan but am disappointed he turned into a 70s misogynist ranter & tried to pass it off as 'comedy' Jim Davidson would be proud."

Leading novelist Ian Rankin added: "I wonder if anyone's told Tam Cowan that Charlotte Green read out the football results tonight (on Radio 5 Live - the first female to do so)."

After the backlash, the Record's online article was amended with the inclusion of an editor's note, which read: "Folks, we would like to point out Tam is a professional funnyman and what he has to say should be taken with a large pinch of salt. Also, his views are not necessarily those of the Daily Record as a whole."

The Record then tweeted: "Tam Cowan's piece today is HIS opinion. Read it and make up your own minds. Not publishing would be censorship."

Cowan is an ardent Motherwell fan and Daily Record columnist since 1998, producing a bi-weekly sports column and a weekly restaurant review.

He has presented Off The Ball for many years in tandem with his friend Cosgrove, who holds a senior position with Channel 4.

In February 2010, Cowan presented a six-part STV documentary series on literacy and numeracy difficulties among adults. In 2011, Cowan was also a co-presenter for STV's lifestyle magazine show The Hour, with Michelle McManus. The programme was axed four weeks after a move to a weekly prime time slot and a revamp led to low ratings.

RESULT

Scottish Women Premier League - Sunday 29th September, Petershill Park

Rangers Ladies 2 Spartans 3 (0-1)

Starting XI Ramsay, Barr, Penglase, Hill, Ross, Harrison, Swanson, Cunningham, Foley, Sneddon, Riley

Subs Halliday, Birkbeck, Hughes, Condie, Paterson, Cuthbert and Lindsay

Scorers Foley, Ross

Glasgow City made it 7 SWPL titles in a row, beating Hibernian 4-0 today.

FIXTURES

U13s - Saturday 5th October, 10am at Ardeer Quarry

Tass Thistle v Rangers

Ladies Target Place In Final

Newly crowned SWPL champions Glasgow City tackle Celtic in the other semi-final tie which will also be played on Sunday at the later 3.15pm kick-off time. Rangers' game against Hibs will start at 12noon at Ravenscraig Regional Centre.

Preview on the Rangers OHP

Free entry today at Ravenscraig, Motherwell for Rangers v Hibs Scottish Cup Semi Final. 12pm kick off

RESULT:

U13s - Saturday 5th October, Ardeer Quarry

Tass Thistle 2 Rangers 5

Scorers: Chloe Ponton (2), Katie Darroch, 2 own goals

Edited by der Berliner
u13s score added

Well, it was SFA-Cup drama for the Ladies on Sunday ...

Rangers Ladies ‏@RFC_Ladies 6 Okt

And, we're underway at Ravenscraig in the Women's Scottish Cup semi-final. Rangers Ladies v Hibernian Ladies

Really positive start from Rangers, Lisa Swanson leading the line well and Penglase & Cunningham linking well down left, still 0-0

Rangers certainly lead this semi-final in terms of possession and efforts on target but not yet in the scoreboard

Lisa Swanson with another good effort. She finds the side netting after a good diagonal from Jill Patterson

H/T: Women's Scottish Cup Semi-Final Rangers Ladies 0-0 Hibernian Ladies

Second half now underway at Ravenscraig. Rangers and Hibernian locked at 0-0 fighting for a place in the Women's Scottish Cup Final

Goal: Rangers Ladies 0-1 Hibernian Ladies (Walkingshaw)

GOAL! Amy Harrison get Rangers level with a bulleted head from a Megan Foley cross, 1-1

1383276_734678166559432_1316510936_n.jpg

Hearts in mouths as the clock counts down and Hibernian hit the crossbar twice in quick succession

After 90mins we're tied at 1-1 in the Women's Scottish Cup Semi-Final. Extra-time to follow

Still 1-1 in this Women's Scottish Cup Semi-Final against Hibernian Ladies, now entering the second period of extra-time

And, we're headed to penalties. Full-time it finishes Rangers Ladies 1-1 Hibernian Ladies

Pen 1: Megan Sneddon scores. Frankie Brown scores 1-1

Pen 2: Sophie Riley misses. Siobhan Hunter scores, 1-2

Pen 3: Michelle Barr scores. Lizzie Arnot scores, 2-3

Pen 4: Jill Paterson scores. Susan Fairlie scores, 3-4

Pen 5: Amy Harrison scores. Kirsty Smith scores, 4-5

A great display from Rangers but Hibernian Ladies win this semi-final 4-5 on penalties and progress to the Final

1280450_734678843226031_120197563_n.jpg

Edited by der Berliner

• 2 weeks later...

Rightio ... a belated round-up of the women teams' action, rather succesful, one might say:

U13s - at Nethercraigs on Saturday 12th October

Rangers 6 Ayrshire Girls ?

Good win for U13 Rangers

Scorers: Lee Wright, Julia Dunn, Zoe Ponton, Amy Muir, Hannah Robertson & Rosie McQuillan aged 9 on her debut

U13 - Sunday 13th Oct, Recreation Park, Darvel

Kilmarnock 0 Rangers 8

Scorers: Hannah Robertson (2) Lee Wright (2) Shelly Campbell (2), Chloe Ponton and Sara McWhirter

Preview - Rangers Girls in Semi-Final action (Rangers OHP)

Scottish Cup Semi Final U15 - Sat 12th October at Ravenscraig

Hibernian 3 Rangers 1

Scorer: Chantelle Brown

Scottish Cup Semi Final U17 - Sat 12th October at Ravenscraig

Celtic v Rangers

Rangers line up Stevenson, Watson, Johnson, Clelland, Howat, Karagiozis, Cuthbert, Traynor, Robertson, Baird and Wilkie

Lifetext:

Two good chances for Rangers in the opening period, Traynor coming close to an opener

Fantastic individual play by Kirsty Howat lobbing Celtic's defence, shot agonisingly close, crashing back off the crossbar

Goal! Kirsty Howat finds the back of the net Celtic 0-1 Rangers

Good save by Murren Stevenson at the other end

Rangers back line dealing with pressure from Celtic in last few minutes

Goal mouth skirmish cleared by Celtic defender to deny the Gers their second

Amanda Traynor's strike hits the bar

Goal!! Rangers second, Howat's shot came back off the bar and Baird hammered in the rebound. Celtic 0-2 Rangers

Corner for Celtic, McLean fouled at Rangers break up the park

HT- Celtic 0-2 Rangers. Goals from Kirsty Howat and Dana Baird giving the Gers the lead at the end of the first half

Celtic free kick in a good area, well held by Rangers keeper Stevenson

Great turn and lay off by Traynor, Robertson shot narrowly wide

Half volley from Erin Cuthbert held well by celtic keeper as Rangers search for their third

Goal! Great play by Howat again, beating two defenders and rounding the keeper to slot home Rangers' 3rd. Celtic 0-3 Rangers

Goal! Rangers 4th from a great run and finish by Sarah Robertson. Celtic 0-4

Rangers come close again, shot coming off the inside of the post and into the Celtic keepers arms

Full Time- Celtic 0-4 Rangers. The 17s progress to the Scottish Cup Final next month at Toryglen. Goals from Howat (2), Baird & Robertson

Exciting future for Rangers with such talented 13s, 15s and 17s players coming through the system

The 17s will face Hibs in the final at Toryglen next month after their 3-2 win over Forfar

SWPL - Albyn Park, Broxburn

Hibernian vs Rangers

Rangers line up Ramsay, Barr, Hill, Paterson, Penglase, Ross, Hughes, Cunningham, Harrison, Swanson, Sneddon

Subs Birkbeck, Lindsay, Riley, Foley

Goal- Ramsay concedes a penalty in the first minute and Walkingshaw converts. Hibs 1-0 Rangers

Goal! Rangers equalise with a goal by @Hayley44C . 38mins gone and it's Hibs 1-1 Rangers

HT- Hibs 1-1 Rangers. Rangers equaliser from Hayley Cunningham

Goal! Rangers equalise through sub Megan Foley. Hibs 2-2 Rangers. 20 mins to go

Good phase from Rangers, threatening a third

Goal! Rangers take the lead, another superb goal from Megan Foley. Hibs 2-3 Rangers

Full Time- HibsLadies 2-3 Rangers. Scorers Cunningham and Foley (2)

Hibernian 2 Rangers 3

Report on the Rangers OHP

The Rangers official home page have now added the u13sn u15s and u17s pages ...

Rangers Girls u13s

Rangers Girls u15s

Rangers Girls u17s

Info:

New U11 Rangers Girls' Centre starts at Toryglen on Wed 23rd Oct. Wed 5-6pm and Sat 10-11am,£3 a session. Coached by SWPL players and staff. More info

Round-up

U17s

Rangers 3 Hibernian 1

Scorers: Howat, Brown and Cuthbert (after Hibs took the lead)

Fixture: U13 Hamilton Accies v Rangers, Bent Park, 11am Ko Saturday 19th October

Fixture: U17 Rangers v Forfar, Sunday 20th October at 2pm, K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride, G75 0QZ

Fixture: Rangers LAdies v Aberdeen, 2pm at Petershill Park, Sunday 20th October.

RESULTS

u13s

Hamilton 5 Rangers 9

Scorers: Sarah McWhirter (2), Shelley Campbell (3),Hannah Robertson (2) and Amy Muir (2)

u17s

Rangers 6 Forfar 0

Scorers: Chantelle Brown, Kirsty Howat (2), Sarah Robertson, Chelsie Watson and Nicole Wilkie

SFA - Rangers Ladies aim to finish season in style

Rangers Ladies vs Aberdeen

Starting XI Ramsay, Barr, Riley, Penglase, Hill, Harrison, Ross, Sneddon, Hughes, Cunningham and Swanson

Subs: Birkbeck, Lindsay, Paterson, Cuthbert and Foley

Goal! Opener for Rangers after 7 mins from Lisa Swanson. Rangers 1-0 Aberdeen

HT- Rangers 1-0 Aberdeen.Swanson scoring for the Gers after 7 minutes.

Goal! Rangers 2-0 Aberdeen. Goal finished by Natalie Ross after a great initial Megan Sneddon strike was kept out the net by the Dons keeper

Goal! Erin Cuthbert with her first senior goal making it Rangers 3-0 Aberdeen. Fantastic composure from the 15 year old. 5 minutes remaining

FT: Rangers 3-0 Aberdeen. Goals by Lisa Swanson, Natalie Ross and Erin Cuthbert sealing the win

The lass with the pony tail wearing No. 15 is 15-year old Erin Cuthbert, a star in the making.

Match report on the Rangers OHP

• 2 weeks later...

U17s will take on Hibs in the Scottish Cup Final on Saturday 9th November

Result U15

Rangers 4 Kilwinning SC 0

Scorers: Shannon McNicol (3) and Lucy Pollock

October 27th - Our U17s take on Hearts today in Tranent, looking to secure the league title

Result u17s National League

Hearts 2 Rangers 8

Scorers: S.Robertson (4), C.McLean, E. Cuthbert, A. Traynor, M. Karagiozis

tbofahne.gifRangers u17s - undefeated Champion of the 17s National Performance Leaguetbofahne.gif

Derby Wraps Up Ladies Season

Fixture - Sunday 3rd November, Barrowfield, London Road, Glasgow at 2pm

Celtic v Rangers in SWPL final game of the season.