Eredivisie TV Contract

as we still await official figures for the new SPL TV deal (rumour has it that it's reduced but by how much ?) perhaps no one seemed to notice the deal the Dutch league struck recently with Fox International allegedly worth 1billion euros over 12 years, with first year worth 60million and following years worth 80-100 million euros.

just goes to show how poor the SPL deal is. Does this not show that another smallish country can negotiate a deal worth vastly more than what ours is if you get the right people in charge.

The Regans and Doncasters have been an abject failure. They have not moved Scottish football forward. They must be removed along with their chums like Lawwell and Petrie too whose only involvement appears to be an anti-Rangers agenda whilst Scottish football is dying on its feet.

Just a small and posibly insignificant point , but Scotland make up 10% of the UK population approx . Now the bottom team in the EPL gets £18.5 million from domestic Tv rights alone , the BBC spends a fortune on match of the day rights yet in Scotland the top team gets less than £3 million in total from the BBC and SKY , why there has not been an investigation into this is beyond me .As licence fee payers surely we are due the same level of expenditure as down south .

Just a small and posibly insignificant point , but Scotland make up 10% of the UK population approx . Now the bottom team in the EPL gets £18.5 million from domestic Tv rights alone , the BBC spends a fortune on match of the day rights yet in Scotland the top team gets less than £3 million in total from the BBC and SKY , why there has not been an investigation into this is beyond me .As licence fee payers surely we are due the same level of expenditure as down south .

My point is if you need to get the right people running the game & negotiating these contracts. Regan, Doncaster & Co clearly aren't

BBC Scotland have a budget they are free to spend on Scottish football. if they chose to do so.

Agree but that budget as a % of the population is pathetic , surely it needs looked at

I think this needs further analysis to see what we're really dealing with.

It has to be remembered that Netherlands have about 3.2 times our population and if you take the simplistic model that both countries will have the same proportion who pay subscription TV for football then you'd expect them to, as a base to start with and all things being equal (which I know they are not), have around 3.2 times the money.

So let's take the first figure of 60m Euros and divide by 3.2 and convert into pounds. That's approximately £14.75m.

Now wasn't our original offer £80m over 5 years? That gives £16m a year spread among less teams than in the Netherlands so our clubs were going to be on more money.

They may go up to over €90m which would work out at around £22-23m per season.

That's a bit more than us but could be considered a better product where the is more market penetration in their country rather than almost exclusively selling to the fans of two clubs.

There is also the fact that Sky and ESPN are not a charity dishing out money to help the leagues, their model is based on how much they need to spend to get the contract balanced by how many subscribers they can gain or retain.

I doubt the Netherlands has the same problem as Scotland in that there is already a significant number of subscribers who do so to watch the games of a neighbouring country's top league. I doubt that given the choice of German football for £50 per month or Dutch football for £10 per month that the Dutch would choose the former. But that's exactly what happened in Scotland.

Right now, if you took Scottish football from Sky, they'd still have a significant share of subscribers in Scotland, I would find it hard to believe the same scenario in the Netherlands. Our obsession with our neighbour's football dramatically lowers the value of our own and it's no wonder we receive paltry sums compared to them. Our money is going to pay for their league as much as it is ours.

It's about supply and demand and the demand is not there in Scotland. We're just not interested enough; the Dutch are.

I think that is unfair to compare The Netherlands with Scotland. For one they have a greater population and more importantly they have a product that may not be the EPL, La Liga etc. but it is far superior than anything the SPL can offer. Their players are regularly courted by all the main leagues in Europe and generally go for high to very high fees.

Also wondering, what proportion of Dutch subscribers money goes to Dutch football and the analogue in Scotland? Because of the packages model it's difficult to ascertain.

There is also the point that fans have a severe conflict of interest here - they want their club to earn more money but to do so more of them need to be charged higher fees...

We've already seen this with the debate on season ticket prices.

There's a kind of version of Groucho Marx in England when a club has enough money to spend on the quality of players that the fans want to see, it means there is a proportion of fans who can't afford to watch them either on telly or in the ground...

Edited by calscot

The Eredivisie have 560.000 subscriptions which they are reasonably happy with. We do have sport 1 here showing foreign football but that is gradually dying and I in fact only know people who watch it illegally I have nobody in my circle who have a subscription to it. Now that Sky have taken over I would guess that sport 1 will probably be taken over or wound up. The one big question for me is will Dutch people be willing to pay Sky prices to watch all the extra football. I certainly won't and I very much doubt if more than half of the 560.000 will be. I now pay 15 pound a month for eredivisie live and there is no way I will be paying 50 pound.

Sky tried to get 1 gulder a month from every cable subscription about 30 years ago and failed because the Dutch don't like paying for things they don't watch. That is why they retreated to Britain

Tele 7 which is roughly the same as Eredivisie live also tried the same route as Sky claiming 1 euro from all Cable subscriptions to get the same result the Dutch people in rebellion because the most people don't want to pay to watch football.

As I said above I very much doubt if the Dutch public will pay much more than the present fee for more football and if Sky expect 50 euro subscriptions then they have got their sums completely wrong.

The football could be an attempt to get Sky a foothold into Dutch television but again all the film channels are not very successful here and I don't see that many people paying the sort of subscriptions Sky are asking in Britain.

Who shows the Champions League in Holland, Pete? There was a time people in this country wouldn't pay to watch football on TV, times change unfortunately. From the outside I feel I've read a lot from the big 3 Dutch clubs complaining they have simply become feeder clubs for Spain, England and Germany. An increase in TV revenue would be very welcome I imagine, if the price for that is exclusive rights to Sky, they might feel that's a price worth paying.

That being said anyone selling their TV rights for 12 years is out of their mind.