Rangers could be fast-tracked into second tier via league reconstruction

The truth is that a country the size of Scotland should not have 42 'senior' teams. We should probably have a top division, a second division, and then regional stuff... problem is what smaller team is going to vote for that? we'd have to 'demote' some of the smaller teams... Also you're looking at an 18 team league top flight to avoid 4 games a season against 1 team, or any of the splitting malarky... There is a minimum number of games needed a year for the league to satisfy UEFA for european entry... Interesting times!

Was going to say this.

Regional leagues below the top two/three divisions would be the way to go imo.

Was going to say this.

Regional leagues below the top two/three divisions would be the way to go imo.

I'd go with 18 in SFL1 and 24 in SFL2. SFL1 has 3 relegation spots. SFL2 is structured like the English Championship with 2 promotion and 4 playoff spots. Bottom 3 are relegated to regionals.

Are the SPL clubs going to vote for a structure that sees them giving up 4 games against the OF? Can't see it.

That's a very good point can't see that happening. However for the next couple of years the clubs will get a taster of what its like with only Celtic visiting twice.

Are the SPL clubs going to vote for a structure that sees them giving up 4 games against the OF? Can't see it.

I'm sure they'll concoct some convoluted version of the split system so the Thomson's, Milne's and Petries's of this world can grab more than their fair share of filthy lucre.

it might make business sense but it would also make regan and his mob look good in the name of integrity and all that is good in life i would urge rangers to refuse any invite to move up a league lets earn our right to be in the top flight .

let them above us stew as they wait for our homecomming .

Since the split was introduced a minority have been lucky if they get 2 home games against each side of the OF anyway. They'd more likely be complaining about sharing the spoils with the extra teams being added to the league.

The way I see it the only way to expand the league is to give those clubs the same money with a projected increase. To do that the game needs to somehow bring in more money from TV and sponsorship and share the pot more evenly.

Reconstruction would HAVE to leave a 10 team third division - or how can Rangers get into the second tier? The 7th and 8th in div 2 would be above us in the rankings.

So 16/16/10 seems to be the way to go.

With only 30 natural games a season there would have to be a split or play offs for the title and relegation etc.

It's 16/16/10 for me and I've held that opinion for well over a year now, but I have different reasons than you do and I don't think the 16 team leagues with 30 games would need a split either because other leagues in Europe with 16 teams (of which there a quite a number) don't need to use a split system.

16 teams with 30 games allows for a proper winter break to try and avoid the worst weather.

If 15 home games isn't enough for the clubs financially, then they would just need to look at altering the cup formats or maybe even creating a new cup competition of some sort. Where there's a will, there's a way as the saying goes!