Stevie Naismith comment...

Noticed a comment from Naismith about his move to Everton:

The big difference I've noticed since joining Everton is the squad is a lot fitter, bigger and stronger.

This backs up some of the belief about the Rangers training program being too easy on the players. IMHO, their lack of fitness was all too evident last weekend (and for some time..)

It also adds weight to what happened with PLG when he tried to increase training levels & the squad were unahppy.

Yeah I am sure he is still kicking about. Remember a while back when Matt MacKay left he said in the press that the training at rangers was mainly just playing games and not based on fitness or tactics, strategy etc.

Seems like it wasnt sour grapes after all....

Steady Naismith slagging Ally ain't allowed even from a rat.

Everybody knows we could be doing more at Auchenhowie, start at ten finished by lunchtime what kind of training is that when you hear real athletes telling us they train 8 hours a day for the Olympics.

Morning for fitness 4 hrs/Lunch/Afternoon for Ballwork 4hrs and that's the very least they should be doing.

Gone are the days where footballers are there for the team and to just play football. Wasnt it John Greig that pulled Davie Cooper up once and asked him to lose a few lbs in the coming weeks then Cooper lost half a stone in a week!!

Giving footballers this fancy lifestyle puts them in relaxed mode.

Le Guen was absolutely spot on wanting them to train twice a day.

As Div 3 sides are showing, they train their asses off twice a week and probably individually every night just for a game on a saturday.

Steady Naismith slagging Ally ain't allowed even from a rat.

Everybody knows we could be doing more at Auchenhowie, start at ten finished by lunchtime what kind of training is that when you hear real athletes telling us they train 8 hours a day for the Olympics.

Morning for fitness 4 hrs/Lunch/Afternoon for Ballwork 4hrs and that's the very least they should be doing.

Not disagreeing but I dont think you need neither 4 hours on fitness OR ballwork. Super_Ally would know better though as a sports scientist.

What I would like to see is maybe 2-3 hours on fitness work, 2-3 hours on ball work (including technique, control, vision etc) an hour on assessing upcoming opponents (this isnt JUST the managers job but also the players - Michael Jordan in the 92 Olympics watched every single team they were playing against and when asked why given the US were a shoe-in for gold he said, simply, "I NEVER underestimate my opponents") and an hour on tactical formations, not just one but a number of formations - because you WILL have to change tactics and formations at various points in time.

In fact, it shouldnt be as structured as I stated above, there should be variety but with a view to achieving a certain amount of hours in each aspect of the game in a week. Once you have had a full pre-season you should be at peak physical fitness anyway so those fitness hours could reduce slightly, allowing you to concentrate on the more technical aspects of the game.

You will also want to find time to work on set pieces, both attacking and defending, ball retention, movement, switching play - etc etc.

But we in Scotland (I dont think this is just a Rangers thing) molly coddle our players and give them an incredibly easy life. These guys "train" for maybe 3 hours a day.... any one of us would train for 8 hours a day if we were just given the opportunity to play for the club we love and on a fraction of what these guys earn.

Galling.