Stevie Naismith comment...

I pointed this out on one of the "Ally, Ally GTF" threads. People are looking at our squad, comparing it to our opposition and coming away with comments about how we should be hammering these small clubs because they're only "part-timers", but in actual fact our own players are essentially part-timers too. I'm only guessing of course, but I think it's pretty fair to suggest that a lot of the part-time players at these wee clubs we're playing against in the 3rd division actually train as much as our own highly paid, supposedly full-time pros.

I think it's scandalous to be honest. Our players should DEFINITELY be doing two training sessions a day. It should be something like a morning session from 9 till 12 and a couple of hours doing ball and skill work after an Auchenhowie lunch.

They should also be working on formations, even if just walking through formations and expectations. ANY player should be able to play his position in ANY formation. A full back should be able to play wing back, no reason why they cant. There is nothing to prevent them from grabbing one of the apprentices and have them play a ball in behind an imaginary full back for the pro to run onto and whip in a cross.

They should also be watching video footage of the previous match as well as video footage of upcoming opponents.

You can be assured that the likes of Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho et al are ALL doing such things with their players.

TWO sessions a day doesnt even need to mean that they are working physically twice a day - mental preparation is important as well.

The start of the week should see them ease any niggles from the previous game, work on areas where there have been failings (and there were plenty of those this weekend) and work on things like generalised formations and tactics. From the middle of the week they should be focussing on what the expectations are for the next game and working on line-up, formation, tactics, assessing the opponents etc.

There are many ways to skin a cat as they say but it appears that we are unwilling to do so.

BTW Zappa, and not having a go at you here, but this "3 hours a day training" thing is actually something which CAN be aimed at Ally because he has it within his power to DEMAND double training sessions. If they are failing as they have been but Jig is still on the golf course by noon 2 days later then that IS an Ally failing. He should be demanding more - I said earlier on something else that perception is reality... well if they are on the course by noon the perception is that they arent working hard enough and dont even care enough. Double sessions, at the very least, would have us thinking that Ally wants them to realise just how far short of the standards they are.

BTW Zappa, and not having a go at you here, but this "3 hours a day training" thing is actually something which CAN be aimed at Ally because he has it within his power to DEMAND double training sessions. If they are failing as they have been but Jig is still on the golf course by noon 2 days later then that IS an Ally failing. He should be demanding more - I said earlier on something else that perception is reality... well if they are on the course by noon the perception is that they arent working hard enough and dont even care enough. Double sessions, at the very least, would have us thinking that Ally wants them to realise just how far short of the standards they are.

Absolutely, but it's not as if Ally has taken over from Walter and said to the players that they don't need to train as much. This has been going on at Auchenhowie for years, but as you say, Ally does have the power to change the routine and make the players work more. The problem is that as we seen with PLG, trying to change the training routine, it's very easy for a manager to start a snowball effect and quickly lose the dressing room.

I think it's scandalous to be honest. Our players should DEFINITELY be doing two training sessions a day. It should be something like a morning session from 9 till 12 and a couple of hours doing ball and skill work after an Auchenhowie lunch.

As far is I'm informed, this is the norm in every other large European league. I know that Div. 3 is not exactly that but compared to where we aim to be and what our expectations are, this is should be the way to go. 2nd tier in Germany definitely works with morning and afternoon session, probably even 3rd tier.

Absolutely, but it's not as if Ally has taken over from Walter and said to the players that they don't need to train as much. This has been going on at Auchenhowie for years, but as you say, Ally does have the power to change the routine and make the players work more. The problem is that as we seen with PLG, trying to change the training routine, it's very easy for a manager to start a snowball effect and quickly lose the dressing room.

This may fly in the face of popular belief... but I will have a go anyway....

If professional footballers get paid thousands of pounds a week. If they are asked by their manager to partake in two training sessions a day and actually work for 6 hours a day (still less than the average worker) and they refuse, or complain... then they can, in my opinion, GTF.

If they dont have enough professional pride to be prepared to put the work in then they should leave.

Our club have spent the last 6 months fighting for its very existence as have the fans. The least this lot could do is buy into the siege mentality and go the extra mile.

McCoist should have the balls to request it of them. If he wants the team to be as good as it can be then double sessions are the way to go. Make them work for their wage.

If he isnt going to ask them for fear of losing the dressing room then either Ally should go or the players should. It is too late for this window now but there is nothing to prevent them from asking potential signings "what would you feel about doing a training session in the morning and then another in the afternoon where the morning session is conventional training and the afternoon may be video analysis, technique work, formations, tactics" ? If they say they dont fancy it, dont sign them because they likely dont want to work hard enough.

I doubt Messi or Ronaldo would turn down extra sessions.... in fact you probably have to drag those guys away from the bag of footballs on the sidelines. And therein lies the difference. Guys like Messi & Ronaldo LIVE for football, whereas our Motley Crue seem to live for the wage football provides.

Maybe a bit harsh, but based somewhat in reality in all probability.

This may fly in the face of popular belief... but I will have a go anyway....

If professional footballers get paid thousands of pounds a week. If they are asked by their manager to partake in two training sessions a day and actually work for 6 hours a day (still less than the average worker) and they refuse, or complain... then they can, in my opinion, GTF.

If they dont have enough professional pride to be prepared to put the work in then they should leave.

Our club have spent the last 6 months fighting for its very existence as have the fans. The least this lot could do is buy into the siege mentality and go the extra mile.

McCoist should have the balls to request it of them. If he wants the team to be as good as it can be then double sessions are the way to go. Make them work for their wage.

If he isnt going to ask them for fear of losing the dressing room then either Ally should go or the players should. It is too late for this window now but there is nothing to prevent them from asking potential signings "what would you feel about doing a training session in the morning and then another in the afternoon where the morning session is conventional training and the afternoon may be video analysis, technique work, formations, tactics" ? If they say they dont fancy it, dont sign them because they likely dont want to work hard enough.

I doubt Messi or Ronaldo would turn down extra sessions.... in fact you probably have to drag those guys away from the bag of footballs on the sidelines. And therein lies the difference. Guys like Messi & Ronaldo LIVE for football, whereas our Motley Crue seem to live for the wage football provides.

Maybe a bit harsh, but based somewhat in reality in all probability.

I think what should also be remembered is that Ally has a brand new team. The foreign players recently signed would be used to a double shift training, McKay,Macleod, Mitchell etc should have to be dragged away from the ground, leaving only the old pro's (McCulloch, Alexander, Boca, Wallace) who would be used to the single session. Surely Ally could impose this upon the squad without fear of losing the dressing room?

I think what should also be remembered is that Ally has a brand new team. The foreign players recently signed would be used to a double shift training, McKay,Macleod, Mitchell etc should have to be dragged away from the ground, leaving only the old pro's (McCulloch, Alexander, Boca, Wallace) who would be used to the single session. Surely Ally could impose this upon the squad without fear of losing the dressing room?

Maybe Ally didn't have the BALLS to do it when he took over last season, but he's BLOWN it big-time by not doing it this season with all these new players he has.

Isn't it funny how the 'give Ally a chance' brigade use this as an excuse for our poor start?

Noticed a comment from Naismith about his move to Everton:

This backs up some of the belief about the Rangers training program being too easy on the players. IMHO, their lack of fitness was all too evident last weekend (and for some time..)

It also adds weight to what happened with PLG when he tried to increase training levels & the squad were unahppy.

It is an interesting comment.

I do agree that in order to prosper in EPL football, being physically strong, quick and fit enough (conditioned enough) for 2 x 45 mins of reasonable work-rate helps. Being technically very good helps significantly too of course. (And being good on both fronts, as well as being strong mentally, will open doors to the top clubs in my opinion.)

On PLG: my view is that his adjustments to training were actually not optimal -- it appeared he was an advocate of reasonably slow, longer distance (and extended session) running, which is not necessarily always the answer to dominating physically.

I do believe that there are players who are dominant in physical terms at Rangers. For instance, Wallace is a clear example of that in my opinion. Shiels and Little are both fine athletes. Black's fitness is very good -- note how he is always able to receive the ball and keep it moving (that is a definite skill that not all midfielders have). McCulloch and Bocanegra are both physically very strong, albeit lacking a little in speed. Argyriou looks like a really excellent find in athletic terms. Sandaza is a good athlete in my opinion, despite criticisms I hear of him being "ungainly" (whatever that means). There are of course players who are lagging behind a little, but I expect them to get up to the level required.

Edited by tangent60