Is Green contradicting himself? Tin hat at the ready...

After a year and a half of unrestrained hatred from all sides, that thing by Roger Mitchell above stands out as the nastiest article I have read. I assume it's the same person who used to be Chief Exec of the SPL. If so, the whole piece is fatally undermined by this:

"all of us who love the game and who hold true sporting values in our hearts"

I wonder where these true sporting values went when Roger set up and ran the least sporting league Scottish football has seen, one which has done untold damage to every club in Scotland bar one?

Basically, just fuck right off.

Says we'll be polled, not that we'd necessarily be making the final decision.

I can understand the merits of not returning to the SPL but on the other hand we need to get back in European football at some point.

We have a bigger interest and reputation in Europe than we ever had. The Dutch media are loving the fairy story and there have also been articles in the German media on a pretty regular basis. Agreed that is not the same as CL money but our popularity has increased hugely.

Does Green actually buy this stuff? Let's take a look

For someone who claimed the Scottish Premier League was a really bad idea a few weeks ago, I found myself surprised that I felt the strong urge to defend my former organisation in the face of the bombast from Charles Green.

I truly hope by the time that this is read, someone officially representing the SPL will have done likewise. I ask myself, does Green actually buy this stuff? Let's take a look:

Claim 1 Rangers ceased to be subject to the SPL's rules when they were ejected from their league.

Fact Rangers oldco was not ejected from the SPL. The fact that Rangers went into liquidation automatically expelled them from the league. The SPL shareholders then decided not to make an exception and let them back in. Two very different things.

Fact Rangers did not go into liquidation. If the analysis is that flawed from the start then what chance is it that the rest of the analysis or "Facts" as Mitchell incorrectly calls them are worth anything?

Claim 2 The outcome of the SPL's process will have no legal effect.

Fact What the SPL are deciding upon is whether their tournament and their trophy was assigned to the correct club in the years in question.

The SPL have every right to examine whether participants in their competition behaved within the rules. And if they find they haven't, they can apply their rule book as recourse. More Green nonsense.

I do, however, agree with him that "whatever decision they reach is a decision of the SPL". Indeed. But the SPL should be proud of that, and not hide behind the Law Lords.

This is Mitchell agreeing that the the independent committee is not independent.

Claim 3 The new owners purchased all the business and assets of Rangers, including titles and trophies.

Fact Green said on June 2012 that if his CVA proposal was to fail (which it did) and Rangers were to be liquidated (which they are), "the history, the tradition, everything that's great about this club is swept aside".

Therefore he admits he has not purchased titles and trophies. Sevco has no titles and trophies.

THat's not what he was meaning and was said for rhetoric only. It's interesting that Michell has to call Rangers Sevco showing their bitterness.

Green states: "The SPL took part in discussions regarding the new company's league status, where 'the EBT issue' would be dealt with as part of a package of sanctions which would be implemented in return for membership.

"We do not accept that people who are willing to come to an agreement on such matters then have a right to instigate a full-blown inquisition when matters do not unfold as they thought they would."

Sadly this falls into the general shambles of the management of the affair by the SFA/SPL. I made my own view clear on the leadership of both bodies in the summer. But I cannot see how the credibility of the current process on a simple point of law over false registration of players with Employee Benefit Trusts (being handled by independent top QCs) can be derailed by claims that the prosecutor behaved incoherently months earlier.

Good debating point, Charles, but it's not enough. Instead, all of us who love the game and who hold true sporting values in our hearts have a simple question: Did Rangers oldco gain unfair advantage by registering players on a basis where their full employment conditions were not declared to the SPL/SFA?

"Good debating point" means "I don't have an answer for that".

As for Rangers gaining an unfair advantage, AJ's statement addresses that but that is not what the SPL investigation is about anyway.

The SPL enquiry punishment doesn't arouse great passion in me. And it shouldn't either for Celtic fans. For them I'd argue the victory is in the fact that their greatest rival died.

The 125-year long struggle ended with the collapse of the adversary. The war was won. Achilles vanquished Hector.

He says that Rangers have died and that it doesn't arouse passion in him. Why then is he so concerned about a club that's died and has to write an article about them? If the club had died then it would not need any input from him. He wants to believe it but he knows deep down that we are still alive and kicking but can't admit it to himself. What a sad man.

If that's the best the SPL have to offer against Green's statement, I feel more confident.

It will be interesting to see how Mitchell, previoulsy mocked and criticised in equal measure in the media, is seen now he has joined the other side; the 'mob' he thinks he sees Green playing to is actually the one he is a part of himself.

I can't believe a top newspaper would want to print tripe like that. The Herald used to be about quality(and a crossword:smile:) but that seems to have gone down the drain. I hope the crossword is still selling papers for them as the journalism surely won't.