Bill McMurdo's lates blog 6/10/12

The Final Straw

by Bill McMurdo | CRO Contributor

Rangers fans wonâ??t like me for saying it but the Rangers Revival Train has well and truly hit the buffers.

Saturdayâ??s shock(?) defeat to the bottom team in the Scottish senior game was the last straw for many of the light blue legions.

Fan forums have, alas, delivered the damning verdict that what is transpiring on the park is light years beyond unacceptable for followers of Scotlandâ??s biggest team.

Some supporters are even saying that the defeat to Stirling Albion is the worst in Rangersâ?? history.

If it isnâ??t, it is certainly down there with the worst.

Stirling Albion had lost their last five league games prior to the visit of Rangers and the team manager was absent at his own wedding.

So much work has been done off the pitch to rebuild Rangers Football Club.

The fans have played their part by buying season tickets and supporting the team through thick and thin.

Charles Green has done an excellent job of fighting Rangersâ?? corner against the corrupt cabal ruining our game, as well as restoring Rangersâ?? jaded commercial viability.

But on the park, the woefully inadequate performances served up threaten to seriously impair the progress of Rangers FC.

Something must be done and quickly.

more....

I blogged last night on CoplandRoad.org about yesterday’s disastrous result for Rangers against Stirling Albion.

Some are already describing it as the worst result in Rangers’ history.

In today’s papers Ally McCoist is saying that he is not embarrassed by the result, just disappointed.

He maybe has to say that to be diplomatic but if he really thinks it, that explains why Rangers are in so much trouble.

Teams who play Rangers expect a mindset from the Ibrox club. That mindset is the ruthless determination to crush all opposition.

It is the mindset of winners, of champions.

It is the mindset of the Barcelonas and the Man Utds.

To have anything less than this attitude as a Rangers player or manager is to cheat your opposition, your own club and its fans and the sport of football in general.

People expect the big club to do some stomping.

Making friends in the lower divisions will not come by being nice guys on the field of play. The teams Rangers are facing are quite happy to go toe-to-toe with Rangers, even if they get beat 6-0. They will give of their best because it’s their big day in football to face the Mighty Rangers.

That’s the game and each must play his part.

Only Rangers aren’t.

Rangers players are too cosseted in their millionaire surroundings to mix it with the rough lads in the smaller teams.

The problem is that the young Rangers lads coming through are still being treated as wee boys. In smaller teams they would be expected to man up much faster than they are at Rangers.

In a nutshell, Ally McCoist and his backroom staff are just not doing the business. They are not putting players on the park with the necessary motivation and tactical direction that gets results.

In the lowest tier of our senior game.

All the good work done to raise Rangers from the ruinous state the club was left in by Murray and Whyte is frankly being undone due to the worst performances and string of results in Rangers’ history.

That is the inescapable reality this morning.

And it is not helped by the infighting and bitching of the various Rangers supporters groups that is presently taking place in the background.

Whilst it is true that every football club has factions at odds with each other, the propensity of Rangers fans to bicker and split is off the charts compared to most clubs.

Rangers Football Club is in a transitional place right now.

What is needed for the club to go forward is a united front.

The tragedy is that Rangers fans are divided this morning – divided over reconstruction, divided over boycotts, divided over other differences.

And now divided over who should manage the team.

As I said in my Copland Road blog, the Rangers Revival Train has well and truly hit the buffers, at least on the field of play.

The repercussions of Rangers failing miserably to dominate teams in the lower divisions could have serious and long-lasting consequences. Anyone who remembers the dark days of the early 1980s will know what I am talking about.

The history of football is replete with big teams going into obscurity.

Anyone who doubts this could happen to Rangers should watch a compilation DVD of some games between last season and this.

These are definitely troubling times for those who follow the famous Glasgow Rangers.

Yet hope springs eternal if you are a bluenose.

Hope, of course, is symbolised by the emblem of an anchor.

This may bring back memories for those who were brought up in the Boys Brigade:

We have an anchor that keeps the soul.

Rangers fans should remind themselves of this during these stormy times.

And also that, regardless of whether or not Ally McCoist continues in the Rangers’ dugout in the future, during the terrible tempests of the last few months, Coisty was the sure and steadfast anchor for the club and its fans.

That’s the thing about anchors.

They are designed to not do walking away.

Super Ally would not desert the club he loves.

Neither will Rangers or its fans cast him adrift.

Maybe a different role at the club would be better for Coisty, a role where he can be an ambassador and fight wider battles on behalf of the Gers.

That is the tough decision he and Charles Green will have to make between them.

I’m only glad I am suggesting it here on my laptop and not to Super in person.

I was astounded by allys comments after the match. Apparently he's baffled by our away results. I'm not. Same long ball tactics week in week out. No effort to retain the ball. Route one and nothing else. There are games were we are so bad that a neutral would struggle to identify the "bigger team" given our standard of play.

Were not baffled though. Its staring us plainly in the face. If ally can't see what's wrong then he's definitely not the man for the job.

As much as football is a results driven game (we cant even do that...) the biggest worry for me is our general performance and distinct lack of vision. At least if we were failing but we could see progress and a distinct blueprint of what we are trying to do, I think fans would give Ally more time. IMO we just seem to play until "something happens" instead of being pro-active. Jesus...even our recent win V Well was born from Ally being forced to change our failing formation due to an injury

Edited by Max Rebo's Big Blue Nose