The "Antagonista"

What does the average Rangers fan care about Syria? Very little until it affects his daily life and Syria is a long way from affecting his daily life if it ever will, but Rangers are his daily life and these articles affect it on a daily basis.

That describes me pretty well - but if I look in the mirror I can see that if I expect society to organise itself to suit a grown man who is utterly obsessed with a football team, I'm going to be disappointed. Rangers are my daily life to quite a large extent but the rest of Scotland is under no obligation at all to take that into account.

Because the Anti-Rangers propaganda machine saw a chance to get involved, then RC church gets involved falsely claiming it was because he's a high profile Catholic, Bishops start getting private meeting with first ministers and what do we get legislation aimed at just one set of supporters, oh they will tell you it's for all football fans and you will get the occasional Tim lifted for shouting about the Queen or Orange Bastards, but we know it was set up to hammer the Rangers fans and nothing about the way it is being operated has changed my mind on this.

The private meetings have so far resulted in zero - not one - policy decision which you could even vaguely suggest is informed by Christian Democracy, let alone the barely Christian and not-at-all democratic Bishop Whatisname's views. Not even the sectarian legislation - the FoCUS minutes posted elsewhere told us that timothy is being scrutinised on a game-by-game basis; if the cops don't take action, that's hardly the fault of bad or good laws. State and police are, apparently, seperate in the UK.

But for all that, I do share your doubts. Not least because

I see recently they have pledged £9 million towards anti-sectarian initiatives.

is completely indefensible. You wouldn't be surprised if you learned that these initiatives are to be rolled out in schools...

Guest Dummiesoot

Enjoyed reading this thread. The only point i will make is that many of the newspaper reports in the past two years were blogs prior to going mainstream. They are important and cannot be ignored.