You said it was "the biggest" now it's one of the biggest. I've been to plenty of OF games and I do love the atmosphere, though I don't enjoy hatred in any respect, it's an unhealthy mind-set to have and a waste of emotion.

Well this thread is evidence of some fans being alienated. Why can't you just sing Rangers songs at the football? Why is that so hard for some folk to accept. Sing whatever you like in your clubs/halls/homes just not at the football?

If the majority of our fans think that to sing about the IRA/politics/religion at a football match is acceptable, then we're on a hiding to nothing.

I think it's best and I've been to plenty other derby games but its only my opinion.

I'm sure plenty others would say it is one of the biggest and best in the world.

I like to sing songs we've sung in the past and do relate to our history, if you don't like it there's not much I can do and won't stop for you or a few other fans sorry. Maybe you can sing louder me to get your point over rather than stay silent and moan on a forum.

I like singing the sash as I do every other Saturday at a football game and won't apologise for that.

That's it for me on this we're just repeating ourselves and not getting anywhere here. :)

Seems to be a pretty big point that is being ignored.

If you feel so passionately that it should be Rangers songs only sung, then start bloody singing them and you'll get loads of support. Far easier (and more likely) way of getting your way then merely moaning about the guys who do create atmosphere.

mister%20m

I think that the line is decency (although that's obviously difficult to define). In respect of most of your examples, they are probably OK. The one major one I'd have a problem wiith would be BNP. However if it's not racist then I guess I'd need to live with it.

I guess I'd feel that some of your examples didn't do the club any credit, in the same way as Edge feels about some of ours. However I'm not sure that I have the right to dictate my views on others. There's a difference between what is socially unacceptable (eg racism) and what you disagree with on a personal level.

For example, I'm a Scotland supporter, despite the anti-English songs that the tartan army sing (which admittedly are a lot less than they once were but they still exist). I don't feel I have the right to start dictating to them what they can and can't sing.

I accept that the tartan army are football supporters and they sing things I don't agree with. It's just part of being a fan.

Thanks for your reply.

As you say yourself it is difficult to define what is 'decent', that too is very subjective. I'm not even sure what 'decent' means in this context.

However I'm not sure that I have the right to dictate my views on others.

That's an interesting line. Surely that's what the Union Bears guys are doing, they are forcing their views on to me and everyone else at Ibrox. I'm not saying they can't hold those views, I'm not saying they have to change their views, I'm not even saying I disagree with their views I'm just saying it isn't an appropriate place for them to air them. I'm not dictating my views, quite the opposite surely.

For what it's worth I stopped attending Scotland matches for that very reason.

They have the right by freedom of speech to try singing it, up to others whether they join in or not.

With respect that hardly addresses the point, no one is arguing they are breaking the law. Do you think any political chanting is acceptable at Ibrox and would you defend it?

The issue of the SNP and independence simply unites a lot of people, the countries future is under serious question.

Quite, and if there were no other meaningful ways of countering it, of expressing opposition to it then I'd understand. But frankly sining about it at the football is just posturing.