Michael Mols tells SPL to ditch investigation into dual contracts

MICHAEL MOLS insists justice was done after Rangers were cleared of being tax cheats in their

victorious battle with HMRC.

The Dutchman was one of a host of players and former club employees named in a list of those paid through the controversial EBT scheme.

Mols was celebrating following the decision which came after a two-year wrangle but the ex-Light Blues striker doesnâ??t want the fight to clear the clubâ??s name to end there.

Instead, the former Holland international is desperate to see another victory in the case to strip the club of SPL titles over alleged use of dual contracts.

An independent commission set up by the Scottish Premier League is due to meet early next year and Mols hopes there will be more cause for off-field celebration.

Much of the damage of the potential tax bill â?? estimated by Craig Whyte at one stage to have been as much as £75million â?? which hung over the club like a black cloud has been done.

But Mols took satisfaction from the result which clears the club of wrongdoing. He said: â??Iâ??m delighted the tax ruling has gone in the favour of Rangers because itâ??s about pride.

â??If you feel you did everything by the rules and someone says you didnâ??t then after a two-year battle you get confirmation you were in the right, of course you have to be happy with that. I knew there had been an issue with Rangers and the taxman and the threat of that bill had basically resulted in the club going to the Third Division.

â??So Iâ??m delighted now the club has won this first battle.

â??Hopefully after this first victory the case can be dropped over the stripping of titles.

â??They canâ??t take my titles anyway. They can try if they want but I won them fairly and squarely on the field of play.

â??They might be able to take the actual medal but I know in my heart I won it so it doesnâ??t matter to me.

â??It would be different if you had done it like in Italy where some people have been accused of paying the opposition money to lose games. Thatâ??s different.â?

The Dutchman spent more than four years at Ibrox and became a huge favourite of the fans before he was badly injured in a Champions League match against Bayern Munich.

In his time in Scotland, Mols bagged a pocketful of medals.

He was reportedly paid £260,000 through the EBT scheme and following the tax tribunal decision the Dutchman opened up to Record Sport about the Trust fund which Gers were said to have used illegally.

Following the verdict, it has been claimed the taxman could now target those who were paid through the scheme but the Dutchman insists he shouldnâ??t be liable for any fine or unpaid cash.

The 41-year-old said: â??Obviously I was aware of the EBT scheme because I had an account. The people at the financial department at Rangers told me and my agent, who handles the financial side of things, that it was okay and Iâ??m glad that has been proved to be the case.

â??At the time, my agent asked me how I would feel about it and I said, â??Fine, itâ??s no problem with meâ??.

â??The only thing I wanted to know is if there were any problems with the tax whatsoever then it was the clubâ??s responsibility and not mine.

â??They agreed to that so everything was okay. Rangers and my agent discussed it, I left it to them. I was moving from Holland to Scotland so I didnâ??t really know the tax rules. I just wanted to know I wouldnâ??t get into trouble or encounter any problems.

â??I didnâ??t want to get a fine at a later date because I didnâ??t know the rules. I said that in five or 10 yearsâ?? time I didnâ??t want someone coming to me and saying I owed them â??Xâ?? amount of pounds.

â??I wasnâ??t sure what the rules were. When I was in Holland I knew tax was simply deducted from my wages.

â??My agent said the EBT scheme wouldnâ??t change anything, just that it would be easier for the club, and I was fine with that providing it didnâ??t mean I would get any hassle.

â??I was a footballer, not a financial expert, so I left it in the hands of those who knew the rules.

â??Itâ??s like if youâ??re up in court â?? you get a lawyer because heâ??s the expert, not you. And itâ??s the same when you buy a house. Do you do it yourself? No, you get mortgage advice from an expert. Well, itâ??s the same for a footballer with a contract. Itâ??s wrong for the players to be blamed.

â??As a player when a club comes to you they offer you terms and you say, â??Give me time to think about itâ??. Everyone knows how it works, you haggle a bit. Itâ??s a bit like when youâ??re selling a house - you donâ??t accept the first offer.

â??But at the end of the day players just want to know how much theyâ??re getting every week or every month.

â??They donâ??t get involved with tax and things like that.

â??Listen, the financial guy at Rangers came up with the plan. It wasnâ??t my idea â?? so if there is any liability now, itâ??s not mine.â?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ex-rangers-favourite-michael-mols-tells-1449453

Would like to see more and more ex-players come out with this.

EBTs......

And now it's him who'll pay his dues....he said all this for an excuse for then:

“My agent said the EBT scheme wouldn’t change anything, just that it would be easier for the club, and I was fine with that providing it didn’t mean I would get any hassle......“I was a footballer, not a financial expert, so I left it in the hands of those who knew the rules. “I didn’t want to get a fine at a later date because I didn’t know the rules......... I said that in five or 10 years’ time I didn’t want someone coming to me and saying I owed them ‘X’ amount of pounds..“It’s like if you’re up in court – you get a lawyer because he’s the expert.

Yep, it's just like I said...he's shiteing himself.

He was reportedly paid £260,000 through the EBT scheme

I'm pissed off with that tbh.

My take on it was that Rangers players got too much money for kicking a ball about and not delivering.

The opposition decided to go down some 'legal' route that flopped. That's a relief in itself.

£260.000? Whaaaat!!! Some Bears need to take a reality check at some time. Our club has been dragged through the mire and layman fans like me have had to put up with it all wondering if there'll be no Rangers to support.

It's time those of that era paid their dues instead of sitting back lauding it. Jim Baxter, Bud Johnston, Colin Stein...real 'Gers heroes.

£260,000? It's not even a transfer fee for those guys.

Yes, we won, remind me of what we won.

He was reportedly paid £260,000 through the EBT scheme

I'm pissed off with that tbh.

My take on it was that Rangers players got too much money for kicking a ball about and not delivering.

The opposition decided to go down some 'legal' route that flopped. That's a relief in itself.

£260.000? Whaaaat!!! Some Bears need to take a reality check at some time. Our club has been dragged through the mire and layman fans like me have had to put up with it all wondering if there'll be no Rangers to support.

It's time those of that era paid their dues instead of sitting back lauding it. Jim Baxter, Bud Johnston, Colin Stein...real 'Gers heroes.

£260,000? It's not even a transfer fee for those guys.

Yes, we won, remind me of what we won.

But then you get people complaining about Green planning a wage cap.

Some will never learn.