Mustering support for the HMRC Petition

FF

Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Michael McCann MP

Member of Parliament for East Kilbride, Strathaven & Lesmahagow

Michael McCann is going to contact them. He had a bit in the Lanark Gazette saying they have questions to answer

I just received a reply from him and I was pleasantly surprised and heartened by his reply

No ducking the issue. He states that he does not agree with an HMRC appeal and he is writing to the Chancellor regarding HMRC leaks .

He has also signed the epetition.

Well done Mr McCann

Lifted from FF:

MCCANN, Michael michael.mccann.mp@parliament.uk

11:49 (7 hours ago)

to me

Dear Douglas

Thank you for your e-mail about Glasgow Rangers FC and the First Tier Tax Tribunal (FTTT) decision relating to tax liabilities of the club arising out of the club’s use of Employee Benefit Trusts to make payments in the form of tax-free loans.

I have been critical of the way that HMRC have dealt with this issue, and I wrote to the Chancellor of the Exchequer last June, emphasising the historical role and importance of Rangers to the Scottish Premier League, and urging a way forward that didn’t require liquidation of the club. Unfortunately, the Chancellor did not agree with the views I expressed.

The present position, as I understand it, is that the FTTT have ruled by a majority of two to one that the club did nothing wrong in using Employee Benefit Trusts. One of the reasons why the decision took so long to be made public was, I understand because of the fact that it was not a unanimous decision.

I also understand that there is a possibility that HMRC may appeal against the decision to an Upper Tier Tax Tribunal (UTTT), which I feel would be a waste of taxpayers’ money.

I do not believe that Rangers FC have been treated fairly, nor do I believe that the Chancellor understands the economic contribution that the club makes to Scottish football, and also to the UK economy as a whole.

Concerns have also been raised about the leaking of confidential tax information. I will write to the Chancellor on your behalf to raise these concerns, and I will send you a copy of my letter.

I have also signed the e-petition calling for an investigation into the leaks at HMRC.

I will be back in touch once I receive a reply from the Treasury.

Yours sincerely

Michael McCann MP

Member of Parliament for East Kilbride, Strathaven & Lesmahagow

House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA

020 7219 7058

Originally Posted by govan_derriere viewpost.gif

Response from Robert Smith, West Aberdeenshire & Kincardine.

Dear Govan_Derriere,

Thank you for your email of 26th November regarding the outcome of the First Tier Tax Tribunal case HMRC v MIH (Rangers) which, in your opinion, may have been leaked to the media.

I have written to the Revenue's Chief Executive asking that she arrange for the points you have raised to be addressed.

When I have a response I shall be back in touch.

Yours sincerely

Robert Smith

Michael McCann MP - Hits the back of the net again

Michael has a weekly column in many local newspapers, including this one lifted from this week's Lanark & Carluke Gazette.

Gazette Column

With just 250 words available, my problem was where to start this column.

The Leveson enquiry reports this week, gay marriage is hitting the headlines, the EU budget, Nadine kicked out the jungle, JohnSwinney’s wish list to George Osborne, or Alex Salmond’s big porkies?

All are solid topics, but I’m going to kick off with the big tax case against Glasgow Rangers FC.

Allegiances to football teams in Scotland are stronger than almost any other tie, bar family ones. Some argue they even top those!

The angst Rangers supporters felt when their club went into administration was palpable.

But now many people are quite rightly asking the question, why did our club go under?

Why did HMRC pursue the now failed Big Tax Case, which was the catalyst for administration?

And how did sensitive confidential information get into the hands of the BBC and others?

How can we have confidence in an organisation like HMRC when it apparently leaks like a sieve?

HMRC’s credibility is at stake and as an organisation they have serious questions to answer.

I’ll be writing to them on behalf of the many constituents who have contacted me to seek answers to these questions.

And finally, this week heralds the end of Movember. The doubters, myself included, have been proved wrong after I managed to sprout a privet-hedge like Mouser to raise awareness and much-needed funds for prostate and testicular cancer.

Well done to all those who have borne hairy faces for a good cause.

Have to say well done to him for putting his views into print, I know from working with him for many years that he has no allegiance to Rangers but his support in asking the pertinent questions is welcomed.

fromFF