Hateley: Dundee United fans have a cheek to attack Rangers over Tannadice boycott

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...attack-1475500

ASKING Rangers fans to go to Tannadice is like peeling off a scab and allowing it to bleed again.

Thatâ??s why Ibrox chief executive Charles Green is 100 per cent right in urging supporters to boycott the Scottish Cup tie against Dundee United.

Years down the line, Iâ??m sure there will be a time for reconciliation. But not now. Emotions are still running high after what Rangers were forced to endure six months ago.

Feelings are still raw for fans who watched their club being kicked while they were down by the rest of Scottish football.

Itâ??s too early for punters to support a rival who had a major say in where Rangers are playing their football now.

It would create a dangerous environment. And thatâ??s due to the comments made by United chairman Stephen Thompson, and others, when Rangers were pushed towards liquidation.

They were frank with their views on the punishment they should suffer.

After Greenâ??s statement about the boycott, people are saying they should be supporting their team. But no one supported Rangers when they were on their knees being booted from all angles.

United were one of the clubs who were extremely vocal in their criticism and condemnation. When they came out of the hat alongside Rangers at the Scottish Cup draw on Monday their chickens effectively came home to roost.

Itâ??s easy to knock someone when theyâ??re down and a lot of clubs were guilty of that during the summer. It wasnâ??t that long ago so itâ??s no surprise that the fans still feel so strongly about not going to Tannadice.

I had to laugh when I read the Arabs Trustâ??s statement saying: â??Itâ??s sad that some parties want to look to the past.â? Then it goes on about how boycotts arenâ??t good for the game. This is the same set of supporters who threatened to boycott their own club if Thompson dared to allow Rangers back into the SPL.

Their hypocrisy stinks.

Thompson justified his clubâ??s actions in the summer by saying he was simply acting on the wishes of the United support. Well, thatâ??s all Green is doing now.

United decided to bite off the hand that has fed them for years by demoting Rangers to SFL3. They said the SPL would be better off without them. Yeah, right. Has Thompson seen the PWC figures published in Record Sport on Tuesday?

They are down £11.9million from 2010/11 and predicted to plummet even further when they take into account Rangersâ?? absence in the top flight.

That financial report is proof some of these clubs and their fans were living in the land of make believe when they predicted a thriving league without Gers.

The Ibrox club were pilloried over their use of EBTs. So Rangers feel vindicated after the FTTT result. But none of the clubs who slaughtered them have shown any form of contrition, including United.

In fact, I believe the SFA should now come out and actually offer assistance to Rangers. There should be an olive branch there, which hasnâ??t been forthcoming so far.

They are the governing body of Scottish football, who still have a lot to answer for.

Green and Rangers fans donâ??t want to support an SPL club or the SFA at this particular time. Eventually they will.

But bridges have to be built and the first people to do that should be Stewart Regan and Co at Hampden.

If Rangers were to reach the Scottish Cup semi-final, fans would be asked to line the pockets of the SFA by buying pies and programmes at the National Stadium. They could decide to boycott that as well. But thatâ??s a long way down the line and a lot can be done by the SFA in that period of time to avert a situation like that arising. I hope they do.

In the meantime, Alistair McCoist and his players will have to do without away fans at Tannadice. But it shouldnâ??t have a negative effect on them. Instead, it should inspire them.

One of the greatest nights of my Rangers career was at Elland Road in the Battle of Britain against Leeds 20 years ago when none of our supporters were allowed into the ground.

It didnâ??t bother us. As players, knowing why your fans arenâ??t there should give you an extra five per cent to go and win the game.

Alistairâ??s team talk will be fairly simple that night. Both him and Ian Durrant were involved against Leeds in 1992 â?? so theyâ??ll know exactly whatâ??s required to get a victory

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...attack-1475500

In the meantime, Alistair McCoist and his players will have to do without away fans at Tannadice. But it shouldn’t have a negative effect on them. Instead, it should inspire them.

Exactly, i have a lot of faith in our young players and i think, no, i know they will rise to this challenge and do the club, the fans and themselves proud.

I sense something special is happening with these young men and by the time February comes round they will have grow even more.

This match will play a big part in their learning curve.

If I were a player playing an away game with zero of my fans in the stadium but knowing they were in the outside supporting me and the team whole heartedly then that would push me on even further, give me that wee bit more motivation to win and try that extra 10%.

We can do this.