Sixty-seven players 'in legal action' over Rangers contract transfer

Heck ... almost a day has passed and not a single word has been said on the BBC's website? Has there been a cleaner at Pacific Quay?

Said someone on FF:

Naismith, Aluko, McGregor, Lafferty and Whittiker are not greedy.

They are worried.

The reason for their claim of Constructive Dismissal is not to get money from Rangers, it is to legally have their contracts declared void.

If they successfully claim constructive dismissal, then in essence, it will count as us firing them and that they were free to talk to other clubs.

If they lose the case, they would be considered to be under contract, and to have left and joined other clubs, breaching their contract.

They would personally be liable for damages to the value of these contracts, which will be in the £m's. Hope Green takes them for everything they are worth.

On a sidenote, Aluko only had a contract to the summer anyway, so why the fuss?

Edited by der Berliner

who instructed the pfa to act? they have no right to act on the behalf of an individual if they havent made a complaint.

That's not really how a Union works. The Union has a duty to act in the interests, or perceived interests, of its members. The union believes that its members could be owed some additional payments from the time of the takeover and it is therefore obliged to try to get that money for those members. It's also debatable whether, if successful, they would be able to get that money for some players (e.g. lafferty) but not for others (e.g. Jig).

I have no problem at all with the players union trying to do this. However, I do question whether they needed to act without consulting beforehand those members who are still at Ibrox . Also, some ex-players are coming in for a ton of grief for something they know nothing about or have any control over.

The Union may have a duty to act to the best advantage of its members but neither they nor anyone else can initiate proceedings on behalf of competent individuals without instruction.

I'm no expert in industrial law but I would be surprised if that were true, given that a basic tenet of unionism (small 'u') is collective action to prevent an individual having to put themselves into vulnerable situations - and even if it were true, you would only need one ex-player with an eye for a buck (and there's no shortage of candidates) to ask that the union take action, which it would then do on behalf of all members involved.

Maybe someone can clarify whether the union undertook the action of its own back or if it was asked to do so by a particular individual?

Could the SPFA not have done so in order to protect their own interests? After all, IIRC, weren't they giving advice to the likes of Naismith and co? Let's assume that Rangers win their case and the players (traitors) who left are compelled to pay back millions in lost transfer fees, would they in turn not sue the persons giving them incorrect advice?

Was there not an issue a while back, possibly to do with Hearts players not being paid. The press were questioning why the Players Union wasn't getting involved. The response was that they were fully aware of the situation, but until such time that a player raised a grievance, there was nothing they could do.

Yet from what I've ready so far, this doesn't appear to be the case now???

I would like to think that this is another non-story that starts with a ten megaton explosion and ends (without being reported) as a damp squib. We'll have to wait and see.

What strikes me is the number of Celtic fans who are professionally involved in sticking the boot in. Coincidence was counted out a long time ago in this multi-pronged attack in my book.

Perhaps over to JT to earn his crust - although he doesn't start for a wee while yet.

I see no reason why Traynor can't pull all the past year's threads together into a compelling narrative to present to the Government, UEFA and FIFA.

And perhaps the COPFS.