Rangers formation against Moscow Dynamo in 1972?

Ah but you've not be subjected to one of his quizzes or worse still his jokes ! :)

I take it this is Football related quizzes?

He must have some interesting questions surely??

I take it this is Football related quizzes?

He must have some interesting questions surely??

Alas no they're usually out of the Daily Mail or more latterly from a 30 year old edition of Trivial Pursuit. Once went with him to a Rangers quiz in East Kilbride and he kept getting answers wrong to questions about games he played in! mind you we were rather "tired and emotional" that night.

Alas no they're usually out of the Daily Mail or more latterly from a 30 year old edition of Trivial Pursuit. Once went with him to a Rangers quiz in East Kilbride and he kept getting answers wrong to questions about games he played in! mind you we were rather "tired and emotional" that night.

Something Derek Johnstone continually does as well.

Must have been something in the water back then.

Guest DavieBlue
I have the dubious pleasure of sitting in front of Dave Smith in the bus on the way to Ibrox every other week so I'll ask him for you on Saturday Frankie.

I watched the 1972 game recently and thought Dave Smith was the best player on the park. He was one of those midfielders that just oozed class and seemed to stroll through the game.

Funny how the old timers always rave about great midfielders like McMillan and Baxter and we don't really appreciate how good this guy was?

As a teenager, I managed to attend 6 of the 9 games in our cup winning run. I attended all 4 home games, Bayern away and the final too. My old man made the same 6, plus the away defeat in Lisbon(4-3).

The formation differed slightly between home and away games. Against Torino and Bayern away, both 1-1 draws; we played with a sweeper(Dave Smith) behind central defenders Colin Jackson and Derek Johnstone. Jardin and Mathieson were the full backs and a midfield four of Johnston(wide left), Greig and MacDonald(central), and McLean(right). Colin Stein ploughed the lone furrow up front. Particularly in the Bayern game, DJ and Grieg were interchangeable as DJ had been tasked with man-marking Uli Hoeness.

In the first two ties against Rennes and Sporting, we played more a attacking formations because of player availability. Ronnie McKinnon played all 4 games, a lythe and agile central defender prepared to get in front of the centre forward. He broke his leg in Lisbon. Wullie Henderson played both games against Sporting, the tie ended 6-6 in aggregate. Graham Fyfe and Alfie Conn appeared in a couple of games. We were geared to go forward and were 4-3-3 to all extents and purposes.

The final itself saw a central defence of Smith and Johnstone, with Jardine and Billy wan-fit as fullbacks. The middle four were McLean(right), Conn and Greig(central), and MacDonald(left). Again, there interchanges between Greig and Smith, Dave stepped forward on numerous occasions and head up hit a long pass or interlinked the play. We were 4-4-2.

Dave Smith was an excellent player. I may be wrong on this but I feel he lost out on a lot of Scotland games because George Connelly had a bigger reputation. Connelly was a master in keepy-up and gave demonstrations everywhere. He may even have held the world record at that time. I seem to remember a story that Dave smith had rented out his house and wanted it back but the people living in it refused to move. Not sure if it is true but I remember that story doing the rounds.

Anyway Dave was one of the classiest defenders we have ever had and Frans Beckenbauer comes to mind when i think of him.

Since we are talking about that time i will throw in my memories. I was only a boy but i remember the hecklers shouting awe naw McKinnons (Ronnie) got the baw that is a punt up the park. Colin Jackson- Awe fur fuck sake colin are je feert tae rip yer tights.