Green will speak soon...

This has nothing to do with football it's a power grab, Liewell and his buddies are trying in one fell swoop to have total control of Scottish Football and most are blindly walking into it for the crumbs off their table. Lets hope enough of the SFL see it for what it is and stop it in time, remember this is the same SFL who were calling for a vote of no confidence in the same muppets they are just about to put in total control.

If this point has been discussed later in the thread I apologise, I've only reached page 3 so far.

PR is a multi-faceted discipline and in my opinion we're winning most of the battles Charles Green is choosing to fight just now. Celtic held a major press conference yesterday, it was pre-arranged and the media had been informed that Lawell would be present, he'd be making a major announcement and would be taking questions from the floor. Now in Scottish media terms that's as good as it gets. That's 2 or 3 days worth of material right there. Celtic announcing a new shirt sponsor, a multi-million pound deal with a global brand in a depressed market against great uncertainty in football; that's a great bit of business by Celtic, perfectly timed to follow the league reconstruction plans. It's easy stories for journalists and it's being handed to them on a plate.

What's on the back pages today? What's everyone, and I mean everyone, talking about today? It ain't Celtic's new sponsors that's for sure.

Green gave an interview to the club's own website, more or less off-the-cuff and today is dominating the media and the agenda. Indeed a third division club, with no vote or say in reconstruction is dominating the discourse on it this week. E

We're not just winning some PR battles we're carrying out massacres just now.

To understand PR properly it's important to understand what the strategy is. From my position, outside, i'm privy to no inside information on this, I think we're playing a very good PR game just now. Whether the 'PR' we're getting suits supporters is a different question, it definitely suits the owners though.

That's a great post and I totally never thought of it that way.

If this point has been discussed later in the thread I apologise, I've only reached page 3 so far.

PR is a multi-faceted discipline and in my opinion we're winning most of the battles Charles Green is choosing to fight just now. Celtic held a major press conference yesterday, it was pre-arranged and the media had been informed that Lawell would be present, he'd be making a major announcement and would be taking questions from the floor. Now in Scottish media terms that's as good as it gets. That's 2 or 3 days worth of material right there. Celtic announcing a new shirt sponsor, a multi-million pound deal with a global brand in a depressed market against great uncertainty in football; that's a great bit of business by Celtic, perfectly timed to follow the league reconstruction plans. It's easy stories for journalists and it's being handed to them on a plate.

What's on the back pages today? What's everyone, and I mean everyone, talking about today? It ain't Celtic's new sponsors that's for sure.

Green gave an interview to the club's own website, more or less off-the-cuff and today is dominating the media and the agenda. Indeed a third division club, with no vote or say in reconstruction is dominating the discourse on it this week. E

We're not just winning some PR battles we're carrying out massacres just now.

To understand PR properly it's important to understand what the strategy is. From my position, outside, i'm privy to no inside information on this, I think we're playing a very good PR game just now. Whether the 'PR' we're getting suits supporters is a different question, it definitely suits the owners though.

I'm not arguing we're able to dominate the PR agenda. What I am saying is that we're not really gaining much out of it per se.

Given we're spending upwards of £250K per year on MediaHouse, I'd be more annoyed if Ramsay Smith wasn't able to perform the black arts we seen yesterday effectively. However, to win the battle we need results and while statements from Green (or Traynor) can often be immediately gratifying, they're not all that effective in the longer term.

Now, again, I understand that good PR doesn't always mean you get what you want but what I'm saying is that Green has to be careful (as does Traynor) in what he says/recommends if it's not actually possible.

Craig Whyte had the fans purring quite often (as did Murray - both using the same PR company) and look where that got us.

Caution is all I'm talking about here.

The trouble with our PR is that their is are two different parts: that of rallying the support of your own fans and then the winning the hearts and minds of other clubs and their fans.

For decades the owner concentrated on the former while being completely absent in the latter (unless he himself was attacked) and the fans subscribed to the "no-one likes us we don't care" philosophy.

But where has that got us? We've somehow become incredibly unpopular and the scenario now is like being the biggest, toughest guy around who no-one likes who. Then, after being knocked out and mugged, finds himself with ball and chain and powerless against the one other (nasty) tough guy and the other 40 eight stone weaklings who have it in for him.

So while we can be as belligerent as we like to please our fans and stick up for ourselves from our position of weakness, there has to be an underlying strategy to regain an important place in the group where we are again able to influence our environment and our future.

If sticking up for ourselves and threatening to leave works towards this strategy then fair play, good job; but if it doesn't help now or in the long run we have to rethink it. I don't personally know but I'm hoping we have expert minds on the subject that do - and some of that stuff seems to have worked for Celtic.

I think we need to become popular - not in a sniveling, grovelling or even jolly or matey way, but instead the way that gets you respect and admiration, where the majority look up to you for leadership and where if there was one you'd most likely win the election. That's when Rangers will be great again.

Edited by calscot

The trouble with our PR is that their is are two different parts: that of rallying the support of your own fans and then the winning the hearts and minds of other clubs and their fans.

For decades the owner concentrated on the former while being completely absent in the latter (unless he himself was attacked) while he fans have subscribed to the "no-one likes us we don't care" philosophy.

But where as that got us? We've somehow become incredibly unpopular and the scenario now is like being the biggest toughest guy around who no-one likes who after being knocked out and mugged finds himself with ball and chain and powerless against the one other (nasty) tough guy and other 40 eight stone weaklings.

So while we can be as belligerent as we like to please our fans and stick up for ourselves, there has to be an underlying strategy to regain an important place in the group where we are again able to influence our environment and our future.

If sticking up for ourselves and threatening to leave works towards this strategy then fair play, good job; but if it doesn't help now or in the long run we have to rethink it. I don't personally know but I'm hoping we have expert minds on the subject that do - and it seems to have worked for Celtic.

I think we need to become popular - not in a sniveling, grovelling or even jolly or matey way, but instead the way that gets you respect and admiration, where the majority look up to you for leadership and where if there was one you'd most likely win the election. That's when Rangers will be great again.

Spot on mate - well put! :thup:

For decades the owner concentrated on the former while being completely absent in the latter (unless he himself was attacked) and the fans subscribed to the "no-one likes us we don't care" philosophy.

But where has that got us? We've somehow become incredibly unpopular and the scenario now is like being the biggest, toughest guy around who no-one likes who. Then, after being knocked out and mugged, finds himself with ball and chain and powerless against the one other (nasty) tough guy and the other 40 eight stone weaklings who have it in for him.

So while we can be as belligerent as we like to please our fans and stick up for ourselves from our position of weakness, there has to be an underlying strategy to regain an important place in the group where we are again able to influence our environment and our future.

If sticking up for ourselves and threatening to leave works towards this strategy then fair play, good job; but if it doesn't help now or in the long run we have to rethink it. I don't personally know but I'm hoping we have expert minds on the subject that do - and some of that stuff seems to have worked for Celtic.

Great post Cal, only thing I will say is its very hard for people to like you when you are at the top looking down the green eyed monster appears and that has been our problem, yes we have been a touch arrogant with it but the same rule applies when your at the top everybody is there to take potshots at you. Although I will agree that when we get back to the top we have to learn from the lessons of the past and try and be a custodian of Scottish Football instead of sitting on high and casting judgement.

As for the PR war we haven't taken part in this for more years than I can remember, its going to be a long slow climb back, it took Celtic a long time to get where they are and that was without us running interference it will take us twice as long because we have to battle their propaganda on the way. All we can do is just slowly and methodically chip away at it and eventually the tide will turn.

I'm not arguing we're able to dominate the PR agenda. What I am saying is that we're not really gaining much out of it per se.

Given we're spending upwards of £250K per year on MediaHouse, I'd be more annoyed if Ramsay Smith wasn't able to perform the black arts we seen yesterday effectively. However, to win the battle we need results and while statements from Green (or Traynor) can often be immediately gratifying, they're not all that effective in the longer term.

Now, again, I understand that good PR doesn't always mean you get what you want but what I'm saying is that Green has to be careful (as does Traynor) in what he says/recommends if it's not actually possible.

Craig Whyte had the fans purring quite often (as did Murray - both using the same PR company) and look where that got us.

Caution is all I'm talking about here.

You can't blame the PR company or the marketing team at Rangers for the strategy decided by the owners, both current and previous. The strategy is set by the owners, the PR company and team at Rangers are then charged with implementing it, from my perspective it looks like a PR masterclass frankly, whether I agree with the strategy or not is irrelevant.

My take on this is that Green wants to grow revenue from the club's own media. He's employed James Traynor to help him implement that strategy, I can see why that makes sense. Traynor's first article led to the Rangers website almost crashing under the weight of traffic. Whilst he won't be able to produce that level of interest every time it is a fairly impressive start.

Drive as many people to Rangers 'owned' media, create content supporters want to read or view and find a way to monetize it, through either advertising, subscription or pay wall. That's the strategy here, that's what's being asked for and, it looks to me, being delivered.

What Calscot and you are discussing is a different strategy. Winning hearts and minds and building bridges makes sense to me, but it is unlikely to add much to the revenue stream in the short to medium term. Our owners are in this for the short to medium term only, what happens after that is of less concern to them.

None of this is meant as a criticism of you, Calscot or indeed the club, it's simply my take on the realpolitik.