Rangers fans' Tannadice boycott is hailed as huge success

RANGERS fans today claimed victory in their boycott of the Scottish Cup clash with Dundee United â?? despite 100 rebel fans buying tickets for Tannadice.

Light Blues supporters decided not to buy briefs for the showdown with United on February 2 after they were drawn to face the SPL club last month.

And the Ibrox club refused to accept their allocation due to ill feeling over their treatment by their Tayside rivals back in the summer. United, who will have to give Rangers half of the gate receipts for the fixture, decided to sell direct to followers of the Gers.

And it emerged over the weekend that 100 people have ignored appeals and bought tickets for the away end for the fifth round showdown next month since they have gone on sale on Friday.

But Rangers Supporters Assembly president Andy Kerr reckons that the boycott has still been a resounding success.

He said: "A statement has definitely been made. We normally take 5500-6500 fans to this sort of game. Given our current situation, I would have envisaged there being a full turnout of Rangers fans for this fixture had there not been issues with the opposition.

"When we were drawn to face Dundee United, I think Rangers fans felt strongly about wanting to make a point. Feelings were running pretty high.

"Dundee United spoke fairly prominently against us getting back into the SPL in the summer. There were also issues in the past with a rearranged cup game."

Kerr continued: "Dundee United have reserved the Fair Play Stand and made tickets available for it to away fans.

"There was always a risk when they took that step that fans in the Dundee area who did not normally attend games would go along.

"There are also some fans who would be compelled to go and see their team no matter what. I would never say to any Rangers fan not to go to a game.

"But I think a statement has been made. I would that now that it has that we can move on as a club. Of course, the reconstruction debate may affect things."

Kerr is hopeful fans who do attend the game will not bring the name of Rangers into disrepute â?? and is optimistic their safety will not be compromised.

He said: "We can normally identify every fan who goes to an away game.

"That will not be the case in this instance because Dundee United have chosen to sell tickets to fans themselves.

"Dundee United have to take responsibility for the safety of the away fans.

"I am sure the policing and stewarding of the game will be fine given everything that has surrounded the match."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/rangers-fans-tannadice-boycott-is-hailed-as-huge-success-112435n.19911849

To be honest I dont think that ANY of these actions are a success. And by that I mean it is a tragedy that we have had to go down this route. There are NO winners in this.

Your right Craig no winners, but just for once it would've been nice for the fans to stand as one.

100 is 100 too many i'm afraid, I feel we had to have the away section empty for it to make the point.

I would be interested to hear from these guys just to know why they are so desperate to go despite the club and the vast majority of the fans opposing it...

I would be interested to hear from these guys just to know why they are so desperate to go despite the club and the vast majority of the fans opposing it...

Because nothing and nobody will stop some fans from supporting Rangers,selfish IMO,but hey ho!

Some people are weird about collecting stuff and numbers of things in a row to the point they get obsessed and anal retentive about it. I can imagine some OCD guy not being able to stand the fact that he can no longer say "I've never missed a Rangers game in my life."

The point they they miss is nobody else cares. I think you'd actually sound better and more loyal by saying, "I never missed a game except the Dundee Utd one - I wasn't going to go to that one was I?"

Sequences are easily broken, there's no point getting precious about them. It's more healthy (but still obsessive) to count the number of games you've been to, rather than the number in a row.

Each to their own. Some are blinded by their love of the club and perhaps they see the boycotters as the ones who are letting the club down. Like I said though, each to their own.

Edited by Gazza_8