How can we be running at a loss due to the wage bill?

I haven't looked at the figures or given them any though or studied Green's comments in detail but we have had to pay off oldco football debts. It could be that Green is treating them as current year expenses and that is a major reason for us running at a loss?

Never understood that statement from King, break even fair enough but a loss is baffling.

Depends on what you accept the minimum payroll costs for the club are and what the net annual spend on transfers (including signing-on fees are, to allow us to compete and whether you have debt (as we did when King made the statement).

We managed to get staff costs down to £24m in 2007 but let's say that we could operate on £20m and our net spend on players is £4m per season.

Turnover £40m

Non staff operating costs £18m

Staff costs £20m

Annual transfer spend £4m

Loss before interest £2m

You don't think D&P dragged their feet in the admin process?

Considering green and co were first contacted in march, then I suppose they did rip the piss a little. That's before you even start on how they treated Bill Millers bid. I seem to remember his spokesman saying that D&P told them a load of pish about the true situation, hence wasting another 2 weeks. The whole process was a stitch up to get D&P as much dough as possible, and to get green and co in the door. TBK, Miller and Kennedy never stood chance. Now we are expected to trust green as if everthing was legit and above board. Laughable.

Edited by ComeOffit

Sorry, I thought the thread was about green talking pish again. My mistake. People seem to think because he tells us we will be making a loss this year, that it's ok. God forbid we ask any questions why a team as bad as ours means we can't even stay in the black, starting from a blank balance sheet. It's hardly a new business in the true sense ofthe word. It's not as if he has had to buy a new stadium and new team. All we got was Templeton, a few spl nobodies, and the failed decorator. The money for developements etc is coming from the share issue, so you can knock that off any calculations.

The shit will hit the fan when we actually have to buy some decent players. The share money wont last forever, so we will need a good stadium sponsorship deal just to break even. Dave King was 100% correct. We can't compete with celtic unless we make a significant loss. The sad reality of Scottish football im afraid.

I haven't looked at the figures or given them any though or studied Green's comments in detail but we have had to pay off oldco football debts. It could be that Green is treating them as current year expenses and that is a major reason for us running at a loss?

I think it might be BD. I hadn't taken that into consideration initially, but I did mention it in a reply to forlan in post #97.

I actually expect us to make a slight loss next year unless he can get a good shirt and stadium deal in place, because we won't be making much more on the pitch still in the bottom league in the country.

I don't see why making a loss next year would be understandable at all. We won't have any payments of the oldco debts eating up money, we'll have shed a mountain of large outgoings (I listed some earlier in the thread), we should have increased commercial and sponsorship revenue streams compared to this season, the ST prices will go up, there's going to be reduced stewarding costs if G4S are punted, the list goes on and on.

what a stupid thing to say mate. from someone as clever as king too.

The truth is never stupid. When have we ever made a decent profit, or even a profit of any kind? Unless we all want to sit and watch them collect 10 in a row unchallenged, we will have to go back into debt. Selling the stadium rights for a million or two and a few more shirts just wont cut it. Debt or not making a profit is how football teams win things. Winning things give you the means to service the debt, CL etc. I admit we have to box a little more clever with our money, but that doesn't seem to be happening. Paying top dollar for an average manager, and giving the likes of jig and the decorator good long contracts.