Why shouldn't it be 55 and counting when Gers win the Div.3 title?

Guest Geo the Ger

Aberdeen have been pumped out of EVERY cup since season 89/90.....cup exists aren't the most reliable of stats. Unless you win the cup, you chalk up another exit.....

Given the turmoil the team has gone through, the cup runs are probably worse than usual.

lol we are not aberdeen! believe me, had we qualified for european group stages or made hampden in any of the cups i would not have posted the stat, however our cup record under mccoist has been shameful. absolutely embarassing.

I'm not sure who this "we" is, but I don't recall anyone complaining that the fact that we have less cash is tantamount to cheating.

Yes, it is. We did during much of NIAR as well. Are you suggesting that was tainted as well? :facepalm::razz:

So your suggesting this has been some kind of achievement this year beating part time teams with a 7mill pound budget.

As for the NIAR comparison that's stretching it a bit if your comparing our budget through the whole 9 years and the gap back Celtic, Aberdeen and the rest, compared to the gap between a 7mill budget and guys getting paid expenses to get to training twice a week.

I am very much in the 55th title camp.

Titles are by their very definition exactly that, a league title. You can only play in one league per season, so this was the only league title available to us this season, and we have won it.

Where I will draw the very proper distinction is when we discuss our World Record of 54 times National Champions. That stays as it is until we win the top league in Scotland again.

The two can, and should be seen side by side proudly in our honours book.

So for me it is 55 titles and still going strong as the song goes, but also World Record holders of 54 National titles.

So why not add the war year titles to this one then its in the same category.

So your suggesting this has been some kind of achievement this year beating part time teams with a 7mill pound budget.

As for the NIAR comparison that's stretching it a bit if your comparing our budget through the whole 9 years and the gap back Celtic, Aberdeen and the rest, compared to the gap between a 7mill budget and guys getting paid expenses to get to training twice a week.

But you just compared us with CL teams budgets...

Err, no. Don't have a clue why you think I'm saying that....other than to deflect the point in the post ;)

;

So where do you draw the line and what level of expenditure suddenly becomes "tantamount to cheating" or "tainting" the championship win?

When we win the league this season, we will have won it fair and square. We don't need to be ashamed that we have more cash because we are a bigger club and have bigger crowds. Perhaps it's not the biggest achievement ever but It's not tainted in any shape or form.

As for the original point, I wouldn't count it as 55. The existing 54 is special and let's not devalue it by including league wins at the 4th level of football.

Aberdeen have been pumped out of EVERY cup since season 89/90.....cup exists aren't the most reliable of stats. Unless you win the cup, you chalk up another exit.....

Given the turmoil the team has gone through, the cup runs are probably worse than usual.

So why spend 7mill then if it wasn't to try and win a cup? It wasn't spent to win Div3.

Err, no. Don't have a clue why you think I'm saying that....other than to deflect the point in the post ;)

;

So where do you draw the line and what level of expenditure suddenly becomes "tantamount to cheating" or "tainting" the championship win?

When we win the league this season, we will have won it fair and square. We don't need to be ashamed that we have more cash because we are a bigger club and have bigger crowds. Perhaps it's not the biggest achievement ever but It's not tainted in any shape or form.

As for the original point, I wouldn't count it as 55. The existing 54 is special and let's not devalue it by including league wins at the 4th level of football.

You think having Rangers in Div3 with that budget is fair and square, cheating my have been pushing it a bit but not by much.

So why spend 7mill then if it wasn't to try and win a cup? It wasn't spent to win Div3.

I guess it may have been an attempt to plan ahead, knowing that we were about to have an embargo slapped on us...?

I think we all had hopes of winning a cup though. The Ramsden's at the very least.