Objectionable fan banner against Ashley

What point did I dodge? Oh and that's a good one, since you completely dodged answering my points previously regarding such a banner being unfair to the club and fans who don't share that harsh viewpoint about telling Ashley GTF. Simple, but valid points...

The point you highlighted in my post, who decides what can and can't be waved, displayed or chanted, that point. My reading of your reply was that you feel no one can. That felt like dodging it to me.

It could be argued that selling the name of the stadium, an act being done mainly by Charles Green, someone who doesn't support the club, has only been at the club for a matter of months and who has himself explained that he'll leave soon with a lot of money, is unfair to the club. The banner is expressing a sentiment that a number of people agree with and a number don't. But it is fair comment, it isn't unfair on the club, it is reminding the club how some feel about it.

I think there's been a bit of an over-reaction here.

Like the Bill Miller banners, the suggestion a few fans with a less than polite welcome will affect a business deal is extremely unlikely.

I'm not overly fussy about such banners but such crude messages arguably aren't the best way of making a point to gain sympathy with fence-sitters.

The point you highlighted in my post, who decides what can and can't be waved, displayed or chanted, that point. My reading of your reply was that you feel no one can. That felt like dodging it to me.

It could be argued that selling the name of the stadium, an act being done mainly by Charles Green, someone who doesn't support the club, has only been at the club for a matter of months and who has himself explained that he'll leave soon with a lot of money, is unfair to the club. The banner is expressing a sentiment that a number of people agree with and a number don't. But it is fair comment, it isn't unfair on the club, it is reminding the club how some feel about it.

It's a one year contract he's selling not turning us into the Emirates or Etihad.

Maybe if they had acted like adults instead of wee weans throwing their toys out the pram they would be taken seriously.

Maybe a banner like, "Better Ways To Raise Cash Think Again Green" we would be talking about better ways instead of debating a F#*k Off banner.

I think there's been a bit of an over-reaction here.

Like the Bill Miller banners, the suggestion a few fans with a less than polite welcome will affect a business deal is extremely unlikely.

I'm not overly fussy about such banners but such crude messages arguably aren't the best way of making a point to gain sympathy with fence-sitters.

but the miller banners did in fact affect that deal frankie!

bottom line is the banner was embarassing and wrong.

We have a guy who is willing to put money into Rangers who owns one of the largest chains of sports shops in the UK. Someone that could really help the Rangers brand and name grow. I personally think that Newcastle United has one of the best set ups for any team in the UK. As I understand Mike Ashley is largely responsible for this and he wants to put serious money into Rangers surely all that is a good thing.

I donâ??t think we are in a position where we can tell these guys like that to **** off

Something to consider....

What would happen to you if you unfurled that Mike Ashley banner in the middle of Argyll street??? There is a good chance you would get lifted by the polis & yer knuckles rapped.

So, why is it suddenly different when you are within a football ground???

youd need to be cracked to imagine bill miller was put of by banners. hes a hard nosed business man. he took one look at the books and ran a mile. even green and many many investors barely had enough cash to keep us afloat. miller had a fraction of their money.

he simply could not afford us.

youd need to be cracked to imagine bill miller was put of by banners. hes a hard nosed business man. he took one look at the books and ran a mile. even green and many many investors barely had enough cash to keep us afloat. miller had a fraction of their money.

he simply could not afford us.

I agree but do you not think banners telling him to **** off gave him an excuse to walk away?

So are you suggesting the club make a list of what can and can't be said/sung/worn/waved inside Ibrox? That list exists just now and telling a multi-millionaire sports shop owner to fuck off isn't on it as far as I know. Do you think it should be?

If so then where do you draw the line? Can no one be told to 'fuck off', only some people, only people the majority of the support agree on? You say we can bring banners if they are appropriate, this is my point, who decides what's appropriate, Charles Green, the police, the stewards? I'm not sure I'm comfortable with any of those three telling me what I can and can't express a view on.

I'm not wielding a freedom of speech club, i'm pointing out that what one person finds inappropriate another person feels is one of the most important issues facing the club currently. Who decides who is correct?

I've not made any comparisons with totalitarian regimes.

NB: Not everything in my reply was aimed at you.

The policy would be simple, as it is over here at the Olympic Stadium (be it Hertha's games or German internationals) or e.g. the O2 World (basketball and ice hockey). No banner will enter the place that is offensive or uses inappropriate language untowards the place, the team, the management, the players and the opposition. You have a hundred ways of telling your opinion in strong words that are not inappropriate and usually common sense prevails even with the club and the stewards here. I gave examples above, examples you will find all over the place.