Objectionable fan banner against Ashley

Why do folk think it is OK to do it at a football ground then????

They know if they were to display the banner anywhere else, they would get into trouble.....but believe it is fine to display it at a match - doesn't make sense to me.

What makes this worse for me is that fact that the banner was displayed at a reserve match, where possibly there would be a larger number of young fans compared to a 1st team match. The club appear to be trying to encourage more young fans to attend, but if banners with offensive language are displayed I would think twice about taking a youngster.

I've no idea why people behave differently at a football match, all I know is they do and have done for as long as I've been going to matches.

I'd say it is almost impossible to attend a match at Ibrox and not hear swearing, and usually fairly robust swearing at that. Perhaps the family section offers some respite.

I still can't see what difference hearing the word compared to seeing it written down makes though.

A chap called Gegenbauer is president ... which tells you next to nothing (I could suggest Wikipedia). That does not matter a bit. As I said, somesuch is simply a no-go at nigh any sports arena in Germany. And more often than not, common sense prevails even amongst the most notorious ultras.

You can swear inside German stadiums to your hearts content ... but risk being lifted by the police or the stewards if it goes over the top. As has been said above, there is no reason why you should be allowed to show inappropriate behaviour at a football game. You usually get away with more - given the nature of the game - than you normally would, but there are limits. The Scumhut and their morons apart, how often have you seen such banners like that shown on Tuesday in any British stadium?

I asked about Hertha's ownership because I understood German clubs have a very different ownership structure than Rangers and most other British clubs. Aren't they owned by their supporters with no one person having control? I could well be wrong about that.

That being the case then supporters can actually affect change and influence decisions in a very real way. there is no real need to take banners in, they have a voice and it is listened too. That's not the case here, supporters are usually marginalised and often disaffected. As such sometimes protesting inside the ground is the only way to make your voice heard.

Man City fans unfurled a banner at Arsenal a few weeks ago regarding the price of the away tickets. It contained no swearing, it was removed by stewards on the instruction of the police. In my book that's just wrong, like the other night this type of protest is often the voice supporters have.

I've no idea why people behave differently at a football match, all I know is they do and have done for as long as I've been going to matches.

I'd say it is almost impossible to attend a match at Ibrox and not hear swearing, and usually fairly robust swearing at that. Perhaps the family section offers some respite.

I still can't see what difference hearing the word compared to seeing it written down makes though.

Going by what my kids and the wife tell me the family section can be just as colourful. :)

I asked about Hertha's ownership because I understood German clubs have a very different ownership structure than Rangers and most other British clubs. Aren't they owned by their supporters with no one person having control? I could well be wrong about that.

That being the case then supporters can actually affect change and influence decisions in a very real way. there is no real need to take banners in, they have a voice and it is listened too. That's not the case here, supporters are usually marginalised and often disaffected. As such sometimes protesting inside the ground is the only way to make your voice heard.

Man City fans unfurled a banner at Arsenal a few weeks ago regarding the price of the away tickets. It contained no swearing, it was removed by stewards on the instruction of the police. In my book that's just wrong, like the other night this type of protest is often the voice supporters have.

Peaceful and dignified protests can be arranged, like the march to Hampden.