It is this simple.

So because you are older you have more right to sing what you want, than the younger generation has to not listen to it? No one Rangers fan is more worthy than an other, but if a song/chant hurts the CLUB and fans as a whole then it's completely stupid to carry on purely because it's 'your right'.

These songs that hurt our club should never be sung again, I did say that already did I not? But why should other songs that are OK by our club and police be stopped because some don't like them, I don't get it. I wish most supporters would create a better atmosphere at EVERY game but that doesn't happen. We should never forget our roots and history IMO.

The OP is divisive, of course it is. There are aspects of our history that some feel uncomfortable with and would rather hear nothing about. Obviously, they're dreaming and have to accept some of the baggage that comes with Rangers. However, I like to think we are all agreed that the songs which harm the club, not EVERY political/historical song, need to stop.

These songs that hurt our club should never be sung again, I did say that already did I not? But why should other songs that are OK by our club and police be stopped because some don't like them, I don't get it. I wish most supporters would create a better atmosphere at EVERY game but that doesn't happen. We should never forget our roots and history IMO.

our clubs humble beginnings had nothing to do with religion, politics or paramilitary organisations.

The OP is divisive, of course it is. There are aspects of our history that some feel uncomfortable with and would rather hear nothing about. Obviously, they're dreaming and have to accept some of the baggage that comes with Rangers. However, I like to think we are all agreed that the songs which harm the club, not EVERY political/historical song, need to stop.

what relevance do they have to supporting a rangers football team?

THE HEAD of a Rangers supporters’ group has called for fans who sing sectarian songs to be banned for life.

John Macmillan, general secretary of the Rangers Supporters’ Association, said that those who sang offensive songs at this weekend’s game in Berwick should be identified and banned from the club.

He said: “I am 100% confident that if individuals can be identified – and I hope they can be – they will be banned from the club. I know that this season one or two already have been banned for similar offences.

“Of course, identifying individuals is easier said than done. But the club has got to take that course of action in this instance if they can be.

“I thought we were starting to get over this nonsense. What happened in Berwick was very, very disappointing. That behaviour can’t be condoned in any way whatsoever.

Macmillan also said that regular supporters at Ibrox “have a duty” to report anyone whom they hear singing sectarian songs to both the club and the police. Macmillan made the remarks in an interview with the Evening Times.

Rangers have condemned the behaviour of those who sang the songs, and numerous figures associated with the club have spoken out. A club statement said: “The club is disappointed by outbursts of inappropriate singing by a section of the support at Berwick.”

Former director of football Gordon Smith, who was working for ESPN at the game, also described the situation as “disappointing”.

Macmillan praised the club’s response in the face of strong evidence. He said: “The bad language was clearly coming over. (Commentator) Derek Rae apologised at least three times for the words that were being picked up by the microphones.

“I was glad to hear a quick response was made by the club.”

Northumberland Police confirmed that two people had been arrested at the game, and that they would be studying video footage to identify anyone responsible for any criminal activity.

Source: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/sfl-division-three/rangers-fans-chief-calls-for-life-bans-for-singing-1-2808663#.UStG4shN7Qk.twitter

only two arrests?

our clubs humble beginnings had nothing to do with religion, politics or paramilitary organisations.

i never said we did, but a BIG part of our history has political and religious background or has that just to be forgotten. There is nothing wrong with our Protestant or Union background. What is wrong is that a lot of songs linked to Rangers are ones which are against others, these should be stopped IMO.

I have to agree with the OP 100%. Rangers are a football team and that's what they should always be. If you want to spout about your political/religious views, by all means be my guest but please do it in your own wee world. Please don't use Rangers as your vehicle to promote them

Edited by Max Rebo's Big Blue Nose

Mabye people shopuld sit back for a moment.

The mhedia swings the "sectarian" club freely at us when the West-of-Scotland definition of the word has become highly debatable, if ever there was one. They got this club handed to them by UEFA, who asked Rangers to ban TBB as well as FTP, not because of them being "sectarian", but because they were discriminatory. Not a whisper about "sectarianism", or indeed bigotry. Still, the Scottish media got themselves into a frenzy beyond any proportion, so that even the airing of one or two of these unwanted songs a couple of times per season make it appear as if the whole Rangers support behaves like a blood-lusting mob. Which is utterly ridiculous, but that is where we are.

Bluedell is correct in saying that we should keep the church within the village here. Derry's Walls and Here lies a soldier were being aired on Saturday too, great songs and in the song book of the club for a slong as I remember. Nothing to to with football, but great to join in nonetheless. And at least not as clueless as Blowing bubbles in the air. In the eyes of our enemies, these songs are clearly "sectarian" too, under their definition at least. And we do really have to make a clear distinction here. A distinction between banter and politics. Many a football song - and not least if it is aimed at a certain team - is at worst cynical banter. There are no 40k Bluenoses looking for blood of an IRA-sympathizer after singing TBB. I'd have my doubts if it was being aired during a Belfast riot though. What the media - no doubt agenda-driven - does is taking it utterly out of context. At least when it comes to us. At every football ground you will hear unsavioury songs being sung, not least against us (Durrant, Stairway 66 et al). And nothing is being done about it. Neither is being done about the open illegal (as in ILLEGAL BY LAW) support of the IRA by the Scum for years. And please don't come up with the "bringing our own house in order" line. It was them who stirred up all the "sectarian-shyte, while being the worst offenders. It was them who blackmailed us with UEFA time and again. And as long as we have no level playing field for all clubs and all supporters, this is nothing but a witch-hunt - again. You can't have one without the other here.

You sound disappointed by that strange.

Maybe you should find the full police statement where they praised the Rangers for being so well behaved, and they had a great day.

Edited by GovanAllan