37a077342a5babe5ea57edba2f8b97d5_S.jpg

TOM WALSH hopes the character he showed in yesterdayâ??s reserve draw with Queen of the South has caught the eye of Rangersâ?? first-team coaches.

The young winger, only 16, had a great chance to level from the penalty spot with the Light Blues trailing 3-2 seven minutes from full-time but saw his kick saved.

Remarkably, however, he responded by scoring a fine individual goal just 60 seconds later as he broke the offside trap, rounded the keeper and netted.

That meant the hosts drew 3-3 at Murray Park in the first of seven sectional games they will play in the Reserve League Cup.

Walsh is one of many emerging players to have made a good impression at the club this year and he made his first-team debut in the 2-0 win over Stirling Albion on December 8.

In doing so, he became one of the youngest players ever to appear in a competitive game for the 54-times Scottish champions and he is highly rated by the Gers management.

Walsh knows the vast majority of his action this term will come for the swifts and at under-17 level, where he is still eligible to play.

That doesnâ??t stop him aiming high though and after Ian Durrant was at Auchenhowie to see the way he reacted so well, he hopes that has helped his cause.

Walsh said: â??There werenâ??t many boys on the pitch at the time who are natural penalty takers but I was very disappointed to miss.

â??Luckily I managed to make up for it a wee bit with my goal just after that and that was pleasing for me.

â??Football is all about bouncing back and responding if you make a mistake and that was the best thing I could do in that situation.

â??I was glad to do that and hopefully people notice that. Thatâ??s the aim and all I can do is keep performing well both at this level and in the under-17s.

â??If responding to missing a penalty by scoring a goal is good, thatâ??s great and Iâ??m happy with that.

â??A lot of this is still new to me and I know itâ??s going to take a while for me to get myself in the first team.

â??There are a lot of good players in front of me at the club. I just need to work hard, keep playing well and hopefully score goals to catch the eye.â?

CLUBNEWS.jpg

Read more on the official site...