Jon Daly Pre-Contract

Only on Gersnet ...

A rumour, link to an SPL player for the Third tier of Scottish football, on a free ... and the first comments are negative. I wonder what sort of players people realistically expect.

Jon Daly (just turned 30) 158 games and 57 goals for Dundee United (striker / defender), possible replacement/substitute for the powerful striker role of McCulloch/Kyle (if fit)?

(NB: No, I'm not jumping up and down in joy at this rumour.)

We shouldn't be handing this type of player 7k a week or so to win the part time divisions.

We shouldn't be handing this type of player 7k a week or so to win the part time divisions.

What about Cups?

Tall and strong centre forward. Just look how we oftentimes struggled against the big and tall defenders in our league, and once Templeton and Shiels are off their stride, we looked woeful up front. The likes like Daly and McCulloch will see to that. IMHO a possible good addition to the team for the upcoming seasons.

BTW, I am not sure whether we would do such a thing and offer him a pre-contract now. Or maybe we have and told him to keep it quite. For he will or would get hell from the Tangerine Terrors et al for months now. We have more sense than that, I'd hope.

My my. If true, this is a bit depressing IMO. What vision does this show? Is our long term thinking a case of...."Ok Big Lee is the wrong side of 49, Kevin Kyle has not moved in 3 months... so we need a younger target/battering ram to replace him...let's go for the young boy Daly at United. He's only just turned 30..."

Edited by Max Rebo's Big Blue Nose

My my. If true' date=' this is a bit depressing IMO. What vision does this show? Is our long term thinking a case of...."Ok Big Lee is the wrong side of 49, Kevin Kyle has not moved in 3 months... so we need a younger target/battering ram to replace him...let's go for the young boy Daly at United. He's only just turned 30..."[/quote']

Nail on head.

Its a signing that will get us up the league, he is a average SPL player at best so should help us cruise past East Fife and Co but zero vision at all. I cant see Daly coming in and adapting a slick Barca-esk type of game. Managements fault again for not even trying.

If he plays as a centre half its a bit better as we need cover there if Boca and Goian dont come back, and TBH we've been poor at the back.

I just fear what will happen when we do get to the SPL again, we are going to have a squad on par with the likes of Dundee Utd etc and if they are all on contracts more than what the rest of the SPL pay then shifting them on is going to be tricky and it will take 2-3 seasons before we get a stronger squad.

We should be planning for returning to the top flight, the younger players we have now along with the experienced ones will get us up the leagues.

I actually think that this could be a good signing. At least if Ally wants to play like Stoke, then he will have the personnel to fill the role! Absolutely no sense whatsoever to hit long balls to the likes of Shiels and Templeton!

Also quite pleased that there has been no comments on the fact that he is from the ROI. Are we becoming enlightened in our old age?