Leggat - RECORD MAN JACKSON LETS LAWWELL OFF THE HOOK

THE overwhelming venom which has spewed from a long list of Rangers haters for the past year reached new and dangerous levels in the wake of the Lord Nimmo Smith verdict which found Rangers not guilty of gaining any unfair sporting advantage.

And right out there as the leader of the lamentable list who seemed shocked and dismayed as Lord Nimmo Smith clearing Rangers of any breach of sporting integrity was Odious Creep.

With a sickening display of unprofessional and unsound journalism, Odious Creep appeared on STVâ??s Scotland Tonight and joined his pal from Channel Four, Alex Thomson, in a stuttering rant about Rangers which paid his usual scant regard for the facts.

Not once, but twice, Odious Creep referred to what he called side contracts, despite the fact that the First Tier Tax Tribunal had ruled that they were not contracts and also despite the fact that a High Court judge and two eminent QCs had also ruled they were not contracts.

In matters of such importance, any seasoned, sound and solid journalist will tell you that it is important to use the correct descriptions in order to achieve both context and credibility for any view you may offer regarding the facts.

Get the facts wrong and any view you offer loses its credibility.

On top of Odious Creepâ??s continued reference to the side letters as contracts, he also found the concept of Oldco and Newco too tricky to get his bitter and twisted mind around.

For instance, his insistence on talking about the old club completely undermined his status as a pundit and not for the first time, Chris Graham, who also appeared on the programme, wiped the floor with Odious Creep.

The man from the Rangers Standard achieved another victory by keeping his cool while Creep stuttered and stammered. Chris stuck to the facts and the rationale and allowed Creep enough rope to hang himself.

According to the Scottish Premier League, according to the Scottish Football Association and according to UEFA, there is no old club â?? as in defunct club - and no new club. There is only one club with un unbroken time line and a history which, as Lord Nimmo Smithâ??s verdict confirms, includes a world record 54 Championships.

However, as far as what followed is concerned, it is not so much what was written in the newspapers on Friday, over the weekend and on into Monday, which should concern Rangers supporters, as much as what was not.

Particularly as far as Keith Jackson was concerned in his Monday morning column in the stuttering Daily Record.

For here was a chance for Jackson to grow a pair and tear into Peter Lawwell for the disgraceful statement Celtic put out commenting on something which had nothing to do with them

Or at least, it should not have had anything to do with them.

What Lawwellâ??s statement did, was render impossible any thoughts anyone may have had that the Lord Nimmo Smith not guilty verdict would draw a line under this whole, sad and sorry business.

Instead it poured oil onto the embers of a dying fire and reignited the flames. Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwellâ??s statement was not merely disgraceful, it damaged to the future of Scottish football. What Peter Lawwell allowed to be released as Celticâ??s statement was inflammatory and irresponsible.

It was also high handed and supremely arrogant. What Peter Lawwell was saying was, forget Lord Nimmo Smith and ignore two eminent QCs for he knows better. His word in law and all of not just Scottish football, but the finest legal brains in the country should consult him. Peter Lawwell knows better. Celtic know better.

Such an inflammatory statement, such absolute arrogance, so many damaging words should have been condemned in the Daily Record by Keith Jackson. But it was not even mentioned in what took on the form of a column in praise of Celtic.

Maybe Jackson was too afraid to chastise Peter Lawwell in Monday's Record knowing he was getting on a plane to Turin with him on Tuesday. If so then it was an act of supreme journalistic courage.

And it gives me no pleasure to write that, or, indeed, to be ultra critical of Keith Jackson, for I have known him since he first came into the inky trade and in recent years he and I have often exchanged infornmation.

But, in my view, Jacko is now, indeed wacko and has lost the plot, becoming the latest Peter Lawwell poodle.

For it seems, according to the Daily Recordâ??s new top man Jackson, that Celtic â?? as title winners - are willing to fork out an extra £315,000 to help other clubs in a bid to boost the hopes of re-organisation. Again, according to Jackson, this appears to be some sort of philanthropy which puts Peter Lawwell on a par with Andrew Carnegie.

Yet, and again according to Jackson, the runners up will have to cough up £682,000 to keep the wee clubs happy. Not much incentive there for Inverness Caley or Motherwell to come second. The price of such relative success for them could be them going bust.

So, again â?? this time twice in the one column â?? Keith Jackson has allowed Peter Lawwell and Celtic â?? the Daily Recordâ??s business partners â?? a free pass.

Yet Jackson was happy enough to let rip with a recent rant against Rangers in which he took a swipe at everyone connected with Rangers by saying that Rangers had no class either on or off the park.

I wonder if Keith Jackson and the Daily Record, already in partnership with Celtic, have considered linking up with Odious Creep too?

AND......

THE Pilgrim Bandits will be at Ibrox on Saturday and they will also pay a visit to the Wee Rangers Club as part of a fund raising trip to Glasgow this weekend.

They are of course a group of badly wounded service men and women who raise money to help others who have received serious injuries while serving Queen and Country.

There will be three of the Pilgrim Bandits who will be introduced to the crowd at Ibrox. Ben Parkinson from the Paras who lost both legs in Afghanistan. Colin Hamilton who lost a leg in Kosovo and Ulsterman Andy Allen, who is also a double amputee.

The class Rangers have on the field, off the park and in the stands will be there for all to see when these three brave British soldiers get a rousing reception at Ibrox.

Just as I am sure Simon Leslie and all the rest of the folk who make the Wee Rangers Club such a special place, will give the three of them a huge and warm welcome.

With regards to what Lawell and his ginger ned said, are these not considered indictable offences in the eyes of Mr. Lunny.

Surely we can't have people openly disrespecting the SFA/SPL ?

i await with baited breath to hear what old Wotsit teeth has got to add on this. After all he promised us more at another time didn't he?

Jackson was revealing the Ticketus story while Leggat was still praising Whyte.

and yet Leggo actually talks a a fair bit of sense here. If talksport can utterly ridicule Celtic for their statement, to the point of outright laughing at them, then why are the media here incapable of seeing it? OR is it less incapable and more a case of made their bed?

Jackson was revealing the Ticketus story while Leggat was still praising Whyte.

Very true - and months later neither had changed their view.

One was correct, one read it wrongly (100% wrongly) for a period equaling that of mad Craig Whyte devotee 'Madrid 51' (a.k.a."my sources* tell me" on "Follow Follow").

One is an appalling journalist who lives by the current British media rules of writing whatever crap they think will sell for whatever reason, the other is someone who desperately, but vainly, aspires to still be one who lives by the current British media rules of writing whatever crap they think will sell for whatever reason.

Guess which one regularly gets the thumbs up and the one that gets the thumbs down, though?

*sources = "voices in my pillow"

and yet Leggo actually talks a a fair bit of sense here. If talksport can utterly ridicule Celtic for their statement, to the point of outright laughing at them, then why are the media here incapable of seeing it? OR is it less incapable and more a case of made their bed?

It's difficult for me to comment specfically as I've not read many of Jackson's articles. He wrote a fairly decent one on the LNS decision which was replicated on here a few days ago, but otherwise I've not read anything of his for a while that I can remember.

Perhaps Leggat is talking a bit of sense but he could do it constructively without referring to him as Wacko. He needs to remember that he may well have still been praising Whyte if it wasn't for Jackson (and Traynor's) journalism. Perhaps his criticisms are warranted but Jackson's still one of the less bad ones out there from the little I see of him.

It's difficult for me to comment specfically as I've not read many of Jackson's articles. He wrote a fairly decent one on the LNS decision which was replicated on here a few days ago, but otherwise I've not read anything of his for a while that I can remember.

Perhaps Leggat is talking a bit of sense but he could do it constructively without referring to him as Wacko. He needs to remember that he may well have still been praising Whyte if it wasn't for Jackson (and Traynor's) journalism. Perhaps his criticisms are warranted but Jackson's still one of the less bad ones out there from the little I see of him.

Oh I agree, I just thought people would tell me to fuck off if I mentioned hyperbole in connection to Leggo again. I do it every time. Have to read his stuff twice to get the actual message rather than the crap.