TRS - Green Brigade Disgrace Scottish Football Again

As for marches costing money I'm uncomfortable with that being used as a reason not too allow them.

Rather ironically, I'm pretty sure if the correct procedure was taken, and the march approved, the cost would probably have been considerably less than their unofficial actions.

If it was planned correctly & Approved, the Police would know exactly how many officers were required to assist with stewarding. Instead they were faced with an unknown number for people causing notable social unrest....

This was an orchestrated and deliberate action designed to provoke the police into confrontation. There was a "shock and outrage" reaction ready to be rolled out by high profile Tims to make Strathclyde Police look bad. If you think that's far fetched just take a look at the clap-trap spouted by Aamer Anwar, Eddi Reader (II know right?) various MSP's, print media and of course the barmy blogger and his apprenctice Angela Haggerty.

Giving the GB any credit whatsoever plays right into their hands. Political activists is what they are, they stopped being football fans when they boycotted their own teams games.

mibbe aye, mibbe naw - the fact is if they wanted to highlight their latest grievance in the form of a march they should have gone about it in the normal, civic, legal way rather than announcing that it would take place at the drop of a hat and at a time and place of their own choosing.

If everybody with a grudge was allowed to march on the public highways whenever the mood struck, you could end up with serious civil disorder.

I don't disagree, i'm not arguing that they were right in what they did, only that I've sympathy with their initial grievance.

To which I would counter, there are no constitutional issues at stake at all, since the decision to grant or prohibit a march is made by democratically elected representatives, i.e. 'the cooncil'. If you don't like what they do, vote them out.

Money should only be a consideration when it is being frivolously wasted - as it would have been in this case.

I only mentioned money in answer to your point about it costing money to police. You could argue that banning all marches would save the city a fortune, but it isn't a good reason to do it.

The rules are there for a number of reasons, including public safety. I fail to see why the rules are designed for political purposes. The GB can have their march if they abide by the rules. They put forward someone who is willing to take responsibility for the march, give the correct notice, give full details of their route and supply the correct amount of marshalls and they are more than half way there. I fail to see why they should just be ignored for one group when everyone else manages to abide by them.

It may be possible for a group to get both the council and the police to waive the 28 day rule in exceptional circumstances but if you decide to complain about the police and put in protests about them then you can hardly expect the police to agree to it. I also doubt that exceptional circumstances exist in this case and I also doubt that the GB even attempted to jump through the hoops required to get the 28 days waived.

The 28 day rule was introduced to suit the police and the government of the time. Previously only 7 days notice was required, by moving to 28 days notice it prevents anyone from marching or protesting on a spontaneous issue. Prior to that some of the largest marches were on spontaneous issues that caught the imagination or caused widespread anger. The police complained about the cost of policing marches at 'short notice' and demanded bigger budgets, the government responded by changing the rules on marches. I feel that's undemocratic myself, and political. Marches are usually arranged in protest against something political, it suits those in power to limit that.

I've no idea why this particular march was turned down, perhaps they didn't apply at all, i've no idea. For the record i've no truck with the Green Brigade, I dislike them, but anyone should be able to complain about the police and policing without the police turning up 200 strong and kettling you.

I equate the Green Brigade with the EDL both political and nothing to do with football, I was in Manchester two weeks ago when the EDL were on the streets, the Police force was massive and totally outnumbered the EDL protesters and counter protestants that day. It's purely a police tacit of shock and awe to overwhelm any potential trouble so why should these vile cretins expect any better treatment from the EDL or any other Fascist element?

I think the only real difference is the unlikelihood of any counter-demonstrators at their event. If they were marching along Paisley Road West that would be different, but the Gallowgate on a Saturday afternoon when the Tims are at home strikes me as fairly safe ground for them.

This was an orchestrated and deliberate action designed to provoke the police into confrontation. There was a "shock and outrage" reaction ready to be rolled out by high profile Tims to make Strathclyde Police look bad. If you think that's far fetched just take a look at the clap-trap spouted by Aamer Anwar, Eddi Reader (II know right?) various MSP's, print media and of course the barmy blogger and his apprenctice Angela Haggerty.

Giving the GB any credit whatsoever plays right into their hands. Political activists is what they are, they stopped being football fans when they boycotted their own teams games.

For the record, and to clear any confusion, I'm not giving the Green Brigade credit for what happened on Saturday. I'm simply stating I've some sympathy with their initial grievance and that I feel the policing of the event was disproportionate.

Ironically it has given the Green Brigade far more publicity than if they'd been allowed to march in the first place. I still don't understand why the police didn't simply film them breaking the law and then arrest them later, I imagine most of them are fairly well known to the police already.

This is an excellent thread on this forum. It has stayed on topic and has not degenerated into abuse . Arguments have been discussed in a mature and reasonable manner. This is why I like this forum, well done to all.

This is an excellent thread on this forum. It has stayed on topic and has not degenerated into abuse . Arguments have been discussed in a mature and reasonable manner. This is why I like this forum, well done to all.

We're not talking about football. :)

For the record, and to clear any confusion, I'm not giving the Green Brigade credit for what happened on Saturday. I'm simply stating I've some sympathy with their initial grievance and that ...

nah, fuck that amms, too late. I've had a word with kuznetsov and we know where you live now. We're coming round wi' pitchforks and burning torches - you're toast mate.