The Shameful Treatment Of Charles Green

There is a scene in the new Tom Cruise film Jack Reacher where he reminds a group of thugs just before he batters them to â??Remember â?? you asked for this.â?

This scene sprang to mind when I heard the announcement that Charles Green was resigning from his post as CEO at Rangers.

In recent times a lot of Rangers fans â?? not, in my opinion, a majority â?? have been calling for Green to go.

Well, they now have what they wished for.

Whether or not they can live with it, time will tell.

My information is that certain people inside Ibrox are trying to sweep the whole Green regime out. What this will do to destabilise the club is anyoneâ??s guess.

I note the Year-Late Record are talking about fresh links between Charles Green and Craig Whyte. Would these be the same links I blogged about back in August?

I have no doubt that Imran Ahmad, Charles Green and Craig Whyte moved in overlapping circles. In fact, I know for certain that they did and have consistently said so.

And back when Green was an unknown, this was a big concern.

However, Green has proved himself to be a man who has raised money for Rangers, fought the clubâ??s corner and enhanced the clubâ??s profile.

He has earned the right, not to blind trust, but to be given the benefit of doubt. That he got his hands dirty dealing with Craig Whyte was necessary.

The other players in the Rangers takeover saga were all wooing Whyte too.

This witch hunt concocted against Green is a mere ploy to big up the connections known already to exist between him and Craig Whyte.

These connections do not, in any way, constitute a confirmation that Green is in bed with Whyte at the present moment.

The stark reality is that if such connections were to be found and proven, it could be the death knell for The Rangers Football Club.

Surely the anti-Green faction at Ibrox would not go down a path that they know would be devastating for the club? In other words, they want to prove that Green and Whyte had links but are confident those links do not include any genuine claim by Whyte to Rangersâ?? assets and shares. They will use those links to oust the Green regime.

Many fans â?? for me, still, a majority â?? do not want Green to leave and accept that he had to deal with Craig Whyte to get Rangers.

My opinion is that this is a shameful way to deal with people who came in and rescued the club.

It is also a betrayal by certain people that Green brought into the club.

It is beneath the dignity of The Rangers.

A man is often measured by who his enemies are. In my opinion, the enemies Charles Green has in Scottish football are no friends of Rangers.

This tells you a lot.

The future is very uncertain at Ibrox right now.

There is a simple task facing the board â?? find a CEO as good as Charles Green.

The incoming person must have the same ability to generate revenue, investment and season ticket sales. They must have Charles Greenâ??s contacts and capacity to make Rangers headline news. And they must be prepared to put in 16 hour days as he so often did.

Nothing less will suffice. Shouldnâ??t be too hard, should it?

Rangers fans warmed to Big Chuck because he spoke the words they all wanted to hear. OK, some of it was bluster and hype but better that than the stoic silence of the SDM days.

It appears some in the club favour a return to those days when Rangers adopted the dignified silence response and also want to adopt a very conciliatory tone toward the SPL clubs.

In other words, conform to the cabal.

Unthinkable? Time will tell.

But I do predict there may be a return of some of the old guard to Ibrox. Thereâ??s even a rumour going around of a return for Martin Bain.

Is that what folks mean by â??real Rangers menâ? I wonder?

Anyway, Charles Green has passed into Rangersâ?? history.

He has been sent homeward to think again but maybe, like another Charlie-is-my darling of old, we might soon be saying of him â??Will ye no come back again?â?

As one prominent Gers fan said to me yesterday, those who wanted Green out should be careful what they wish for.

The reality is that if Rangers are any better today than they were a year ago, it is down to the man who has just been hounded out.

Those who did the hounding better have a good planâ?¦

http://billmcmurdo.wordpress.com/2013/04/20/the-shameful-treatment-of-charles-green/

I think we can expect Leggo to be penning something similar over the weekend since he became a big fan of Green too.

Then again, going on his previous Leggo is just as likely to start saying "I told you Green was a snake oil salesman straight away!" :lol:

It seems there's been boardroom factions for a while and irrespective of Green's 'innocence' or 'guilt' they've decided to take advantage of the situation. The commission was likely offering a stay of execution rather than a genuine chance to clear his name.

Pretty sickened by the whole thing and worried about the direction the club is going in.

I'm sorry the man has gone - I actually feel a bit embarassed that it has been handled this way. As you say I've no doubt he did what he had to do with Whyte, just to get it over the line. But I was always pretty sure that there was no real big skeleton in the cupboard waiting to de-rail Rangers' progress.

There will always be stories about our Club around every corner, especially over the next 3 or 4 years until we are back where we belong. However I'm concerned that if we continue to have 'drama queen' knee-jerk reactions every time then we are in for a bumpy ride.

I for one loved the fact that he stood our corner, and if you took a swipe at us then be prepared to be wiping a bloody nose of your own in the process. It's what rallied The People back around the cause again. I fear that too many people have taken that for granted. Look at the age of a lot of our support at the moment - some real young guys in there who love to rally around a leader, especially a fighter. As was said earlier 'be careful what you wish for', especially when season ticket sales renewals come around.

I personally think for all his flaws, and he had a few, his charasmatic leadership and 'No Surrender' spirit reached further than many give him credit for - time will tell. I personally feel deflated today and I'm no spring chicken.

I think he HAD to go.....but thought he was doing a good job. His ability to open mouth before engaging brain was his ultimate downfall.

I think a precedent was set with Sandaza - he was sacked for a helluva lot less that what CG did. CG publicly embarrassed the club, bringing charges from the SFA and concerns raised from our new sponsors - possibly costing the club a lot of cash. The continued situation with Whyte has also done nothing the help the situation.

He said when he first came in that he would be gone after a year,I know I know,however he is gone so we were always going to be in this position of getting in another CEO.
He said that once at the start of the CVA process. He's repeatedly said since we were demoted etc that he sees it as a longer term job now, or did to use past tense.