TRS Exclusive: Ibrox Leak?

The point is the IP address that is posting the information is seen to be Ahmad's work station on a trace, not the WiFi connected device. You don't have to be in the building to gain remote access. You could even be in a car. You need imagination to create a conspiracy theory.

Sorry to be pedantic but that is nonsense. The individual workstation would have a private IP hidden behind a NAT. All workstations on the router's private network would expose the same public IP.

Access via remote control software such as you describe, teamviewer or logmein for example make an end to end connection through specific ports but client software on the host PC (such as a browser connected to RM) would again expose the public address of the router...

barca72 - you are aware of the Data Protection Act I assume ? It really isnt as simple as TRS coming out and saying "here is our source, now please believe us". The DPA places some pretty severe legal obligations on people.

Further, there is every likelihood that even if they DID tell you their source that you wouldnt believe them anyway. You could STILL use the "could have been the PA, not Ahmad" line of reasoning. The only way to irrefutably prove it is for Ahmad to admit to it, which is pretty unlikely. Doesnt mean it wasnt him though.

barca72 - you are aware of the Data Protection Act I assume ? It really isnt as simple as TRS coming out and saying "here is our source, now please believe us". The DPA places some pretty severe legal obligations on people.

Further, there is every likelihood that even if they DID tell you their source that you wouldnt believe them anyway. You could STILL use the "could have been the PA, not Ahmad" line of reasoning. The only way to irrefutably prove it is for Ahmad to admit to it, which is pretty unlikely. Doesnt mean it wasnt him though.

havnt seen a denial either :whistle:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry to be pedantic but that is nonsense. The individual workstation would have a private IP hidden behind a NAT. All workstations on the router's private network would expose the same public IP.

Access via remote control software such as you describe, teamviewer or logmein for example make an end to end connection through specific ports but client software on the host PC (such as a browser connected to RM) would again expose the public address of the router...

Perhaps that should read could.

I do not want to open a new can of worms, however, here is a description of the situation I was envisaging. Just substitute RM for Party Poker. Hence anyone doing a traceback ping from RM would see Ahmrad's IP address. The handshaking will take place from Amrad's computer and the RM server.

Can a Remote Desktop be Traced to Original Computer?

Basically, here is my situation:

I live in England but will be spending a lot of time in the US for the next year. I play online poker on Party Poker and they will not allow Americans or anyone in America to play. I am not American, but in the US often and I want to be able to play while I am there. If they see you are from a US IP address you can't even log in. If they do NOT see because you are using some kind of remote connection or VPN ( Substitute Rangers network here ) but then it somehow falters and they see that you are in the USA, you can have your account permanently closed.

So I need a way to log on to Party Poker from the USA in a way that has no risk of them seeing I am in the USA and also in a way that keeps the connection fast enough to play. It certainly isn't overly resource intensive or anything but just requires moderate speeds to work properly.

What are your thoughts?

Share this post on

Del.icio.usTwitterShare on FacebookReddit!Google+StumbleUpon .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

23rd May 2011, 10:10 PM #12 Shyster1

Lazy as the Day is Long

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join Date:Jul 2006Location:The SSR of NYCPosts:8,179Rep Power:55 Re: Can a Remote Desktop be Traced to Original Computer?

Details are always helpful; thanks!

The article on remote desktop software contains a short How it Works section that captures the essence of the basic functionality:

When it works the controlling computer displays a copy of the image received from the controlled computer's display screen. The copy is updated on a timed interval, or when a change on screen is noticed by the remote control software. The software on the controlling computer transmits its own keyboard and mouse activity to the controlled computer, where the remote control software implements these actions. The controlled computer then behaves as if the actions were performed directly at that computer. In many cases the local display and input devices can be disabled so that the remote session cannot be viewed or interfered with.

The quality, speed and functions of any remote desktop protocol are based on the system layer where the graphical desktop is redirected. Software such as PC Anywhere, VNC and others use the top software layer to extract and compress the graphic interface images for transmission. Other products such as Microsoft RDP, Graphon GO-Global and others use a kernel driver level to construct the remote desktop for transmission. Basically, the traffic from your US computer ( THE LAPTOP IN THE MADE UP SCENARIO ) to your home computer ( AHMAD'S COMPUTER) would consist of keyboard and mouse traffic from the US to home and screen images back to the US from the home computer.

The traffic from your home computer to the Party Poker servers ( this would be RM SERVERS ) would literally be traffic to and from your home computer, more or less the same as if you were sitting at that computer typing on the keyboard attached to it and clicking on the mouse attached to it.

If you set up that arrangement and then fire up a web browser on your home computer, then all of the traffic will be between that browser and the Party Poker ( RM ) servers. Since that browser instance will generally not be privy to the goings-on at the kernel level, it is unlikely that the browser would ever pick up any information that you've logged on remotely.

To make things a little more secure, I would suggest that you create a brand-new user account on your home computer with very limited privileges/permissions - basically just enough to get onto the Party Poker servers. That should further limit the chances that some indication that you've logged in remotely might get out. You could also try some of the other remote login/admin software out there, such as logmein. I would also suggest that you avoid any unnecessary bells and whistles, such as letting the remote session have access to any local resources on your US computer, such as removable drives, the CD/DVD drive, printers, etc - just make it a stripped down remote client that does the bare minimum needed to make your home computer work remotely.

I hope this reply will satisfy you and Gunslinger.

Edited by barca72
spelling

I am not aware of the Act's contents. However, here in Canada we have similar legislation so I can appreciate the consequences of contravening the Act.

I think I understand how highly you and others esteem TRS & CRO etc., and hence wish to protect their stance. Either I have not been clear enough in trying to make my point or you just basically disagree with it, but I have been trying to say that unsubstantiated reporting leads to a heightened anxiety for our support and it is unnecessary. I think we have watched our club having been ripped asunder by allegations and innuendo - specifically the Big Tax Case. It is my hope that no matter from which source a report comes that it is backed up with facts. This was not meant to be an attack aimed specifically at TRS, but on this occasion I thought consistency was called for. I don't care if Ahmad stays or goes, unless of course he has committed a wrong.

I can assure you that anyone logging into a forum such as RM is not doing so through a VPN or any such secure connection.

It is a simple public request from a web client via port 80 to a web server creating web pages on the fly using PHP.

Like I said in a previous post I was an RM mod in the past and we could see every poster's IP address, all of which were simple public IP's.

I'm sure you are trying to make a valid point but for me it is very, very far fetched.

Your wikipedia / how things work cut and paste efforts add no weight to your argument.

I have never used party poker but I assume it is some kind of certificate based https secure connection. End to end similar to VPN.

This is not remotely comparable to a standard webserver connection across the public internet.

Please don't see this as a deflection but I feel that we are now well off topic and I usually get £550 a day for such consultation. :laugh: