58c85b52d5727f92b11dee55cbc98dab_S.jpg

BILLY KIRKWOOD admits his reserves needed some lucky breaks to beat Morton but praised his youngsters for the way they dug out victory.

The Light Blues were 3-0 winners in their Reserve League Cup tie at Murray Park courtesy of goals from Jamie Burrows and Ben Reilly as well as Matty Clarkeâ??s penalty.

In truth, the final outcome flattered Gers a little as their opponents probably created more opportunities and pressed for much of the game.

That made victory even sweeter for coach Kirkwood, who felt his young side deserved credit for coming out on top.

He said: â??I think there have been loads of games where the lads have got what theyâ??ve deserved out of the game.

â??Tonight they could maybe have played a wee bit better but their work-rate was absolutely fantastic and I couldnâ??t fault one of them for that.

â??They got a wee break when they got their penalty. It was soft but I think it was the correct decision.

â??That came just after Morton had hit the post and to be fair to them, I thought they put us under pressure right from kick-off with the way they played the game.

â??Scoring our second from the spot gave us a wee bit of breathing space but it wasnâ??t until the third went in late on we felt comfortable.

â??For that group to have got two victories in three days the way they did is testament to them. They got a break or two but they did really well and deserved to win for their sheer effort.â?

Morton lined up with experienced forward Peter Weatherston in attack but Kirkwood was happy with the way his defenders coped with him.

And he cited that particular situation as a reason why itâ??s good for so many of the emerging talents at Auchenhowie to be taking part in these sorts of games.

Kirkwood added: â??I think our lads would benefit from that kind of thing more often and they need to be playing at that sort of tempo.

â??Itâ??s great for the academy. Weâ??ve rotated the same lads and for them to have played the way they have has been terrific. Theyâ??re learning how to win against tough opponents.

â??Tonight you saw the centre-halves playing against Weatherston and I thought Luca Gasparotto, Jordan Wilson and Craig Halkett all did a good job there.â?

CLUBNEWS.jpg

Read more on the official site...