Reconstruction talk tweets

and yet more:

..going down remains as it is, with the financial redistribution model now shelved? @BBCAlLamont 24 minutes ago

...effect of play-offs in other leagues." Why else would clubs vote to give themselves a greater chance of relegation if cash to clubs ....

@BBCAlLamont 24 minutes ago

On the subject of whether any future commercial deals would be more lucrative WITH play-offs, N Doncaster replied "We've seen invigorating..

@BBCAlLamont 25 minutes ago

So, no league merger, new financial model or pyramid system for next season and only a v slim chance of play-offs.

@BBCAlLamont 27 minutes ago

I've said before & I'll say again..................this is all about Rangers subsidising the rest of Scottish football. Reconstruction is a red herring. It's all about the SPhell taking over the SFL i.e. a takeover not a merger and gaining access to Rangers TV rights because SKY are unfortunately not in the least bit interested in televising the likes of SPL games such as ICT vs St Johnstone much longer.

And here's an even bigger problem ......... SKY aren't interested in televising Rangers against SFL2 & SFL3 teams for much longer either. They want Rangers back in the top division playing against the Dhims, Hertz, Abergreen etc. And today's meeting of the SPhell chairmen produced nothing definitive because they haven't got the balls to go back and give SKY any concrete plans for next season in case SKY try to renegotiate the existing secretive deal (which no one except Liewell & his trusted allies like Petrie & Thompson get to see) or they walk away altogether. There will be get-out clauses and such like in this deal.

What happens now is we'll try to muddle along until the new season starts and hope SKY stay onboard (because SKY are the biggest financial contributor to Scottish football) and maybe throw in a couple of play-offs which frankly SKY will probably laugh at. If not the bottom falls out of Scottish football (or the SPL go bust)and all 42 clubs get allocated leagues to play in by the SFA. (hopefully Regan not involved)

Scottish football is doomed ah tell ye. DOOMED

Rab is right, their reconstruction can never happen without a TV deal which includes Rangers and OF matches. They are trying to sneak a way around it. And agreed, agenda No.2 is to gain control of more then half the 42 clubs. They didnt give a monkeys about the SFL when Rangers werent a member.

I have always been a fan of trying 16, 18 or even 20 team top flight but I dont think the numbers is the problem. Aside from those running the game (they are the main problem) the problem isnt 10 or 12 teams in the SPL. The problem is the bordom of repetitiveness. 1 up 1 down is the problem. That way you are playing the same teams every year. The league is over by March.

12-12-18 would work if the SPL had 2 auto relegation places with a play off for a 3rd spot then it makes it far more interesting from the middle half of the league downwards. Div1 will also be more competitive as there is 2 auto places and then the 3rd side gets a play off. - now that is in the interest of ALL teams, sharing the wealth and good for fans but these chairmen wont go for it as they would sense the fear of relegation!

Once common sense and doing things FOR the game comes back into it then they will never get an agreement. All they are looking for is guaranteed income and embarrassingly from the club they voted out the league.

Edited by Gribz

First of all, the SPL-exclusivity must go, along with all the baggage. There must be a hierarchical structure and I for one do not mind the league numbers as such, as long as there is no split-rubbish. As Rab says, make it two auto-up/downs and a play-off for the third and you suddenly have competition all along.

First of all, the SPL-exclusivity must go, along with all the baggage. There must be a hierarchical structure and I for one do not mind the league numbers as such, as long as there is no split-rubbish. As Gribz says, make it two auto-up/downs and a play-off for the third and you suddenly have competition all along.

Fixed that for you :thup:

Can anyone confirm what the deal is with our TV rights for next season? Are we tied to the SPL deal or can the SFL negotiate our own deal?

ESPN are finished and BT are in negotiating new contracts, but Rangers are SFL so the SPL cannot negotiate on behalf of Rangers TV rights i would imagine? SFL are in a good position here, no wonder the SPL are begging for reconstruction.

A complete overhaul of what we get dished up in Scotland is needed quickly.

ONE body running all the clubs for a start.

How about a 16-16-10 with no 'splits' - clubs meet once at home and once away, except in the 3rd division where they'll play each other 4 times as usual.

This will mean 30 league games for the 1st and 2nd divisions 36 for the 3rd division. THREE to get relegated from the 1st division and the fourth bottom side meets the side finishing fourth in the 2nd division in a play-off

Relegation from the 2nd division could have 1 down and 1 play-off.

Okay, this would mean there will only be 30 league games for the top league clubs but we could re-vamp the League Cup to make up for it, using the same format as the 'UEFA European Football Championship'.

We could 'invite' three clubs on merit say Gala Fairydean, Petershill Juniors and somebody else to join the current 42. We'd have nine groups of five (seeded in pots 1 to 5, based on performance) playing each other home and away. Nine group winners qualify for Quarter-Finals along with seven best runners-up.

This will guarantee all clubs at least 8 more games. Right!!! More boring games I hear you say. Why not give it a try at least? We need to do something that's different from the current mess that is Scottish Fitba'.

we tried the mini groups format in the league cup back in the mid 70s and it died a slow, lingering and painful death because nobody cared.

It's hard enough to care about the league cup in a knockout format but the mini leagues?

Man , shoot me now then bring back the three day week, Suzie Quatro and power cuts.

How about an 14 team league, play each other twice. = 26 games

Split into two 7s, play each other twice. = 12 games,

top 2 places go to the CL

3rd spot to UEFA Cup

or top team to CL, second to Uefa Cup, playoff for remaining Euro spot

2 relegated

1 play-off relegation spot for third bottom team / third top in first div

This gives you your 38 games.

It gives the great bulk of teams an interest all the way up to the split.

It gives everyone in the top half something to fight for

3 relegation places will give everyone something to play for right up until the end.

It increases the number of different teams we play

It results in a better spread of money through the game.

It means that every game, for every team will be meaningful.