Reconstruction talk tweets

I don't think there is anything wrong with a split as such, but being Scotland we managed to have the silliest split you could imagine - after everyone had played everyone three times, rather than after twice, which would have been more sensible.

There's something about the split that's not very satisfying - it seems like a bit of a pauchle. But the reasons for it make sense. Our other options in Scotland are; a small league with everyone playing each other 4 times; a large league with a massive range in quality between top and bottom; or a medium-sized league that doesn't generate enough games.

A 14 team league with a 7/7 split certainly creates the right number of matches but having an odd number in each section would mean that each match-day one team from each section wouldn't be in action. That could cause problems on the last day of the season.

IMO, what we really need is a league with less meaningless mid-table positions (creating more meaningful matches) and more money in the second flight so that relegation isn't a financial disaster. For structure, I'd take a lesson from Austria and Switzerland and have the top two flights with 10 each - but with more relegation/promotion (perhaps the same system as in the other SFL divisions). Spreading the TV and sponsorship money down into the second flight would maintain a healthy pool of contenders for the top flight, and teams wouldn't fear relegation so much, so there'd be less negative football. You probably get bigger, happier crowds when your team is winning the first division than when it's getting humped in the Premier, so being relegated and rebuilding might actually be seen as a positive thing. The play-offs would probably get decent viewing figures if they were televised too.

I know everyone got sick of the 10 team play-each-other-4-times SPL but with more movement of clubs and fairer distribution I honestly think it's our best option.

Great team with a fantastic history and a stadium that puts most SFL clubs to shame :flash::flipa::D

Their history isnt even CLOSE to that of Auchinkleck Talbot my friend. 2nd in the West Super league isnt bad I guess... but being first with a 6 point advantage and 4 games in hand with only 6 games to go..... now THAT is a team. The only team to have won the Junior Cup on THREE consecutive occasions... on top of being the only team to win it 5 out of 7 years... as well as being the record holders of NINE Junior Cup wins - the record is a fair margin too (I think the 2nd most is 4, which is held by a couple of teams).

As well as that, the current Talbot team would handle themselves well in the SFL. They ran Hearts VERY close in the Scottish Cup last year.

Seriously though, one thing about giving Junior teams and other semi pro teams such as Gala Fairydean or Whitehill Welfare etc etc a chance at the SFL.... is that it would actually create some interest in the game again - everyone loves a David vs Goliath game and the upset it can cause - makes for good viewing and brings a certain level of interest back to the game - instead if the usual stale teams all the time.

I would liken it to the lower ranks of the English game where teams from League 2 can get relegated from the pro ranks. our lower league teams have nothing to play for, nothing to fight for if they are not fighting for promotion.

Their history isnt even CLOSE to that of Auchinkleck Talbot my friend. 2nd in the West Super league isnt bad I guess... but being first with a 6 point advantage and 4 games in hand with only 6 games to go..... now THAT is a team. The only team to have won the Junior Cup on THREE consecutive occasions... on top of being the only team to win it 5 out of 7 years... as well as being the record holders of NINE Junior Cup wins - the record is a fair margin too (I think the 2nd most is 4, which is held by a couple of teams).

fight! fight! fight! fight! :)

I would liken it to the lower ranks of the English game where teams from League 2 can get relegated from the pro ranks. our lower league teams have nothing to play for, nothing to fight for if they are not fighting for promotion.

Absolutely. bottom team in Div 3 to be relegated. The winners of the West or The East juniors or the Highland League to be promoted, depending on where the bottom team in Div 3 comes from.

2nd bottom in Div 3 has a playoff against the winner of a mini-group playoff which includes two other league winners, the runner up to the team that got automatic promotion and the team with the best record across the three junior divisions.

fight! fight! fight! fight! :)

Lol. It is amusing we are arguing about JUNIOR teams on a Rangers forum.... the way Talbot and Rangers have played this year I am not so sure which one would actually win a game between the two....

Absolutely. bottom team in Div 3 to be relegated. The winners of the West or The East juniors or the Highland League to be promoted, depending on where the bottom team in Div 3 comes from.

2nd bottom in Div 3 has a playoff against the winner of a mini-group playoff which includes two other league winners, the runner up to the team that got automatic promotion and the team with the best record across the three junior divisions.

See, it is this logical type thinking that the authorities just cant do. It creates not only interest within the SFL but also in the leagues below that where they have something to aim towards. It also means that there are games which actually MEAN something.

Logical thinking - in Scottish football ? It just wont catch on !

Lol. It is amusing we are arguing about JUNIOR teams on a Rangers forum.... the way Talbot and Rangers have played this year I am not so sure which one would actually win a game between the two....

See, it is this logical type thinking that the authorities just cant do. It creates not only interest within the SFL but also in the leagues below that where they have something to aim towards. It also means that there are games which actually MEAN something.

Logical thinking - in Scottish football ? It just wont catch on !

I doubt if most Junior teams would want to come up to the prof leagues as there is a completely different price tag on playing in the prof leagues. they have been talking about doing that in Holland again but the financial implications mean that most of the top amateur\junior teams are not interested.

Now now... I will defend Talbot to the death... same as I would Rangers :D

It is blasphemy for anyone to compare Petershill to Talbot.

Springburn is the metaphorical heart of the Junior game, east Ayrshire is it's large intestine. It provides an important function helping to pass useless waste and you'd miss it if it wasn't there, but, you know, without a heart you've nothing. :D