EUROPA LEAGUE FINAL: Benfica v Chelsea

NIGEL SPACKMAN: "I have friends who support Chelsea, they're businessmen, sensible people, and they just have a blank when it comes to Rafa Benitez. I wish they'd change their minds but they won't. I wish the fans would show him some respect.

"It's the comment about the plastic flags that sticks with them. He's said he doesn't have anything to apologise for and he was defending his team. There are so many sub-plots but he needs the respect he deserves because he's won a European trophy."

_67632673_f97cb0c8-8f90-4f5f-9469-0dc1cd6e943c.jpg

Good to see Chelsea treat that cup win with the respect it deserves.

Agreed.

Before kick off I wanted Chelsea to win,now I don't normally care about any other team,truthfully, but as I watched the game I found myself more and more getting behind Chelsea,I thought Benfica were the better team on the night but what was strange for me was I was willing/cheering on Chelsea as the game progressed and ultimately cheering when Torres scored and shouted out loud YES!!!! when they scored the winner.

After watching the post match ceremonies and trophy presentation and seeing how much the Chelsea players and fans celebrated their win it baffles me when I hear/read so many of our fans,not only our fans,turn their nose up at this tournament saying it is the second class Euorpean cup and nobody cares!.

I said to my wife tonight 5 years ago it was Rangers competing for this trophy,she just looked at me as if to say so!,she is not a football fan, The point is when I hear our fans saying this tournament is a diddy cup it baffles me,tell me when we went to Manchester for our cup final that everybody thought it is a diddy cup!,don't think so.

Well done Chelsea FC.

I would say thanks to 54andcounting but that USA keeper is a bloke!

I watched the 2nd half, after a boring tournament it picked up in the quarter finals and from then on it was interesting. UEFA need to sort it out and have less teams in it to make it interesting all the way through again. Less teams into the CL from the so called big countries would sort that out. But again money rules.

I like Benitez, he's a proven manager and next season its someone else's gain and Chelsea's loss. I think he'd run them close to the title if he was given the chance, however Mourinho will probably do the same.

I was just thinking that in the season since Arsenal last won a trophy (FA cup 2005) Chelsea have won 3 titles (incl 2005), 3 FA cups, 1 Champions League and 1 Europa cup. That says a lot!

They've only done it with Russian money though, they could as well be Fulham, Charlton or Crystal Palace.

Not quite. I agree with the league titles were pretty much bought. But Chelsea were still picking up cups before Abramovic. They won the FA cup in 97 and 2000 plus the cup winners cup 1998.

I dislike Chelsea but they were always a step up from the other 3 London clubs you mention.

Edited by Gribz