I can see why McCoist stands next to him...

But seriously, I don't quite get how you can be a sports coach and let yourself get so fat (both of them). It just seems a bit unprofessional and potentially loses you some respect from the guys you're coaching.

In this day and age there's not much excuse for any intelligent person to be so overweight with all the info we have - and these guys have access to nutritionists and conditioning experts and sports scientists - and should know most of the stuff themselves.

All it really takes is a healthy enough diet without all the crap, drink a lot of water, do a couple of sessions a week in the gym and a couple of games of sport like five-a-side, squash, tennis or cycling etc. Add in not driving everywhere from door to door, and taking the stairs, and you'll at least be of a reasonable shape.

Of course, too much much beer isn't good but you can get away with a couple of glasses of dry wine almost every night with the odd bottle at the weekend.

It's not exactly rocket science as they say.

But seriously, I don't quite get how you can be a sports coach and let yourself get so fat (both of them). It just seems a bit unprofessional and potentially loses you some respect from the guys you're coaching.

In this day and age there's not much excuse for any intelligent person to be so overweight with all the info we have - and these guys have access to nutritionists and conditioning experts and sports scientists - and should know most of the stuff themselves.

All it really takes is a healthy enough diet without all the crap, drink a lot of water, do a couple of sessions a week in the gym and a couple of games of sport like five-a-side, squash, tennis or cycling etc. Add in not driving everywhere from door to door, and taking the stairs, and you'll at least be of a reasonable shape.

Of course, too much much beer isn't good but you can get away with a couple of glasses of dry wine almost every night with the odd bottle at the weekend.

The American Medical Association have just last week classified obesity as a "disease". I dont think that "not being fat" is as easy as you say it is.

It is kind of like saying it is easy to not be an alcoholic. No, it ISNT easy. It just sounds easy to someone who isnt an alcoholic. Same with over-indulgence of food, or eating unhealthy food. It is easy to those who dont have the problems. The solution is, as you say above, simple. However, it isnt as simple for people to implement as the solution is. "Easier said than done".....

They're both about 50 years old and it's 15 - 20 years since they stopped playing. Some people enjoy keeping fit. To others it's hard work. It's not as if it's unusual sports pros to let themselves go after retiring.

If anything one look at Kenny McDowall is all the motivation our players need to keep themselves in shape.