Seperated by the same language?

I know there are several threads comparing the Hearts debacle with our own horrors of last year(and they continue); however, I make no apology for starting a new one with particular comparison to BBC Scotland coverage. Last evening, BBC Radio Scotland broke their schedule to broadcast a 'Hearts Special' between 6-7pm. Quite rightly so, a major player in Scottish life has entered administration, and probably will suffer liquidation. Again, this time last year, BBC Scotland had broadcast numerous specials on the Rangers crisis.

Last night, the tone was most sympathetic. The presentation set the tone because the contributors were John Robertson, Michael Stewart, George Foulkes, Ian Murray MP, and Alan Preston. All Jambos to the core and again quite rightly so. They are closest to the working seam, and the seam BBC Scotland want to mine is complete sympathy for the Hearts supporter. I agree, the last few months has been a successful exercise in constant tugging at the emotional Jambo strings and relieving them of their hard earned. At the weekend, Tom English eulogised the Foundation of Hearts, and Ian Murray MP has made the most of the presented opportunity.

The focus has been settled on the FofH and last evening's hate-filled maggot in the ointment, Dandy Don Michael Grant reinforced the testament of Tom English. The content was most comforting, there is a way ahead and the necessary leadership has been identified and lionised. Oh how I wish BBC Scotland's mood music had been as soothing last summer. A 15,000 strong Bears' march to Hampden was ridiculed mercilessly and Sandy Jardine's stirring words on the steps brought forth venomous reaction. Both English and Grant demanded the SFA deal with him and even suggested the police might like to listen to utterances borne of misguided emotion.

Thousands of Rangers supporters walking peaceably to Hampden, pushing prams, shouldering children, and leading dogs were to be presented as a baying mob whose fervour could be provoked by Sandy. The reality of stirring applause was to be denied because Rangers supporters were not deserving of a focus or required leadership. The RTC Blog provided regular crib sheets to counter Bears' grievances( or perceived grievances as the RTC Blog decreed) and many at BBC Scotland were absolute adherents to the message.

Last June's mantras of 'say no to newco', 'strip the titles', 'sporting integrity', and 'CONTRITION'; all courtesy of the RTC Blog will be absent this time around. BBC Scotland and fans of the other now defunct SPL clubs want to be sympathetic to the emotions of the Hearty Harrys, already both English and grant have decreed there is NO comparison between both situations. Such notions will be dismissed as awkward and inconvenient, they run interference to the presented message.

Am I indifferent, should I care? We should care although it is most difficult to rationalise because other SPL club supporters and the national broadcaster do not speak the same language as us; remember, our sensitivities did not count.

Edited by 26th of foot

I have certainly noticed a difference in all reporting of the Hearts stuff....it does appear to be taking a sympathetic slant to it.

I am guessing that the graphics dept @ the DR are all on holiday, since there have been no fancy alterations of the Hearts badge or dark storm clouds over Tynecastle. Even the page headers "Broken Hearts" has a sympathetic ring to it, compared to "Rangers in Crisis".

I have heard no reports of how Hearts failure to pay multiple PAYE/NI bills has resulted in less money going to the NHS or the armed forces.....

I have heard no reports of how Hearts failure to pay their players should result in their recent Scottish cup win being stripped....they were after all playing players that the couldn't afford (literally)

Is anyone really surprised at the more sympathetic reporting of the Hearts situation given the track record of most journalists?

The Celtic people, both club officials and supporters, don't see Hearts as a threat to their achieving trophies etc. which was not the case with Rangers. What is happening at Hearts is no big deal to most of them. The motivation to trot out all sorts of criticisms doesn't exist.

No surprises and no shame from the repeat offenders in the typing pool masquerading as the Scottish media. The reality is not enough people give a fuck one way or the other about Hearts, hence we have the soft articles and empty platitudes which we all saw coming a mile off.

As the OP alludes to, this is indeed how a nation's scribes should reasonably address the fall of an institution. Such a shame it requires a genuine lack of emotion, rather than professional detachment, to facilitate this.

From the BBC's Q & A on their demise ...

It has been clear that the debt levels were unsustainable, as was the continued ratio of spending on wages relative to turnover - at more than 100% during much of Romanov's period in charge.

Now, remind me who overspent and were living beyond their means in Scotland?

As far as I am aware, we used EBT's correctly, did not live beyond our means (i.e. with a sustainable debt). What passively killed us was the EBT wrangle with HMRC, what actively killed us was Whyte not paying PAYE and VAT. On face value, neither could be compared to the downfall of Hearts, IMHO, who brought it up unto themselves for years of apparent mismanagement.

How can these guys say there is no comparison between what happened to Rangers and what is happening to Hearts? Both teams have been financially mismanaged by rogue owners that has lead to them entering admin. The by product being that the people that have suffered the most are the fans who have loyally paid to support to their team through the turmoil.

Maybe I'm being stoopid but on a basic level there is not much difference IMO

Edited by Max Rebo's Big Blue Nose