Ally's signing strategy

Disappointing signings, worrying signs of the same old thinking, nothing learned.

One of the most important parts of a club like ours is the scouting system, what happened to the philosophy of buying young and selling on.

Also, the silence from the top in explaining to the fans what is happening, is very poor.

Edited by chilledbear

Most worrying phrase doing the rounds is "he'll do a job".

No disrespect to Foster, Smith etc, they will do a job, but their addition to the squad just smacks of no vision from the management, IMO.

We've got the 2nd largest wage bill in the country and a Rolls-Royce salary being spent on an manager who, thus far, has been a massive disappointment, albeit in extremely difficult circumstances.

Through our resurrection, our custodians should have shown ambition and courage and made the blueprint for a sustainable future where we could have excelled and retook our crown as Scottish benchmark, instead, we'll get back to the SPFL, and be like "as you were".

Well, as you were was rubbish. After all the fans have went through and are continuing to do so, we want better than "just beat Celtic".

McCoist should be hunted before he does any further damage, Ibrox has become an eventide home and a place for those down on their uppers, £700k and no viable signing policy or strategy , we will be hearing the usual excuses of he's a novice manager he saved Ibrox when all was lost, strangely there are those who swallow such claptrap.

Great players don't always make managers even half decent managers, the list of failures is a long one.

There is a long, long list of people who have 'damaged' Rangers and Ally McCoist's name doesn't appear anywhere near it. To say Ally 'saved Ibrox' is overstating it but to downplay his role in keeping the identity of the club alive, acting as a focus and rallying point for the supporters and also his help and influence with the staff who run the club who were getting no information from anyone in control is very unfair.

His 'strategy' seems fairly clear to me. He'd like a first choice 11 made up of players with experience the bulk of who have played in Scotland and know and understand the football played here. Add to that a couple of 'foreign' players who will add something a little different and then bolster the squad with young inexperienced players who will get their chance during the season. Some will flourish and some won't. He's doing this without actually being able to sign anyone under contract elsewhere which does severely limit his options. People can criticise this strategy if they want but it doesn't strike me as particularly daft or unreasonable in the circumstances.

McCoist has done as much as arguably anyone in the history of the club to warrant the title 'legend'. In his two years as a club manager he's finished second whilst in administration and won the league he was playing in by a mile. I've no idea if he can become a great manager, neither do you, but to describe him as damaging the club is a fuckin disgrace, you should be ashamed of yourself.

I think some of Ally's signing have been very good - Clarke, Law & Bell are the 3 who immediately stand out. Peralta is a complete unknown at the moment. Daly & Smith are both experienced players. I think Smith will be more of a back up than regular 1st team - unless there are plans to sell Wallace (which I hope not).

Foster is a proven RB - something which fans were crying out for last season. Will be interesting to see what happens to the others who played @ RB. However, I feel that we have enough decent players there already - I think Argy will prove to be a decent signing @ RB....Mitchel (or was it Murdoch...) also played very well there towards the end of the season.

I think if Goian & Boca are offski, we need one experienced CB. Thought Faure & Hegarty looked pretty decent together, but could benefit from an "older head" to mentor them further....

The big test of Ally's signing strategy will be future transfer windows. At present his hands are still tied & limited to who is available out of contract. It so happens that a number of those players have previously played for us.

Ultimately....time will tell

There is a long, long list of people who have 'damaged' Rangers and Ally McCoist's name doesn't appear anywhere near it. To say Ally 'saved Ibrox' is overstating it but to downplay his role in keeping the identity of the club alive, acting as a focus and rallying point for the supporters and also his help and influence with the staff who run the club who were getting no information from anyone in control is very unfair.

His 'strategy' seems fairly clear to me. He'd like a first choice 11 made up of players with experience the bulk of who have played in Scotland and know and understand the football played here. Add to that a couple of 'foreign' players who will add something a little different and then bolster the squad with young inexperienced players who will get their chance during the season. Some will flourish and some won't. He's doing this without actually being able to sign anyone under contract elsewhere which does severely limit his options. People can criticise this strategy if they want but it doesn't strike me as particularly daft or unreasonable in the circumstances.

McCoist has done as much as arguably anyone in the history of the club to warrant the title 'legend'. In his two years as a club manager he's finished second whilst in administration and won the league he was playing in by a mile. I've no idea if he can become a great manager, neither do you, but to describe him as damaging the club is a fuckin disgrace, you should be ashamed of yourself.

The only people who should be ashamed are the likes of you who puts anyone above the club legend or not, Ally is a crap manager what part of that do you fail to grasp.

You can't build without a foundation. If you want to see something good in the future you need to lay the groundwork first. Anyone who thinks last season's showing were anything to build on...well, I only hope they don't work in construction.

I doubt if anyone wants to see a Rangers team featuring the likes of Ricky Foster in 3-4 years time, but he can certainly play a part in steadying the ship - a ship which wobbled dangerously time and again last season. We've no way of knowing whether the club will drive on and become a modern, footballing side, but without some stability for 18-24 months we can guarantee it won't. Hence these signings.

The things I felt badly lacking last season were (1) an offensive midfield with creativity, (2) a strong, mobile and pacey defence. No (1) may see an improvement, but (2) has very worryingly for me not been addressed at all (unless Daly is in defence, which would only cover the 'strength' element).

Is it just me, but in those Willie Vass training pictures I thought Ally looked more ready for the grubber than the fresh smell of battle fever? He looks like he's been on a bender for quite a while.

Edited by Anchorman

Does anyone actually believe that with a signing embargo for player in contract until January, that we can actually go out and bring in the most promising young players around and then sell them on for a profit later? People actually believe that these players are free and out of contract - surely that's a paradox?

Maybe next year...

PS Which players in Scotland do people actually have in mind? It's hardly glaringly obvious to me and to be fair we've brought in four or five promising ones in the last year - Bell, Templeton, Faure and Clark for a start.

Seems to me we experimented with a lot of young players in the team last season, but the fans just didn't seem to have the stomach for it. Maybe the football will be more enjoyable for everyone next season...