Shame on you Tom English

http://thedailyranger.wordpress.com/

Shame On You Tom English

by thedailyranger

Deny everything. The stock response it would seem when you get caught out. It didn't happen, you didn't say it, you didn't write it and even if you did you were misinterpreted.

We've certainly familiar with this kind of behaviour, who can forget Graham Spiers lying through his teeth on national television?

“I’ve never used the phrase ‘financial doping’…in cheating I didn’t refer to the big tax case, I was referring to the small tax case and I was referring to the non-payment of tax under Craig Whyte”

Today though saw another journalist fall victim to the same arrogant trap as Graham who when confronted by his own words completely denied he ever said (or in this case wrote) them.

Let's just establish a few facts first though:

Craig Whyte bought Rangers for £1 and as part of that deal sold off 3 years worth of season tickets to Ticketus to fund his takeover of Rangers. Essentially buying the club with its own money.

While setting up the Ticketus deal Craig Whyte failed to reveal his previous seven year disqualification from serving as a director.

Upon purchasing Rangers, Craig Whyte immediately stopped paying PAYE and VAT sending Rangers into a downward spiral that would inevitably lead to administration after the non-payment of £9 million.

Craig Whyte has been successfully pursued by Ticketus through the courts and has been ordered to pay back £18m and costs.

Craig Whyte is now being investigated by both the police and Governments Insolvency Service for serious fraud relating to the takeover of Rangers.

Craig Whyte currently has an outstanding arrest warrant for failure to show up to court in a theft case involving his housekeepers.

This paints a very clear picture of a very devious character who is under a serious fraud investigation. Tom English however insists that Rangers fans should feel a deep sense of shame at what has been done in the club's name.

This has been a common theme with Tom English as we can see from an article from December: Painting Rangers as innocent defies reality

Followed up by this in Feb: Rangers spin can’t take away the disgrace

He took to twitter to defend his article:

That Rangers Football Club is very likely the victim of a crime doesn't even register with Tom. It's very black and white in his world, Rangers did wrong so fans should feel ashamed, disgraced.

Today however saw the Daily Record run with the story: Rangers takeover probe deepens as fraud investigators find new evidence against disgraced ex-Gers owner Craig Whyte

When confronted about his previous comments incredibly Tom denied he'd even made them displaying the same selective memory as Graham Spiers did when he apparently didn't call us cheats despite calling us cheats.

Incredible stuff from Tom and even when confronted with his own words he dodges the questions and tries to deflect it by changing the subject never acknowledging his wrong doing.

Tom would rather lie and dodge than ever apologise for his disgraceful comments that Rangers fans should feel shame at the actions of one man who is quite likely to have committed serious fraud during his dealings with Rangers.

He tries to make out that we are somehow twisting his words and misinterpreting him:

"Stand by what I meant, not what you appear to think I meant. You're trying very hard to be offended."

So just what did you mean Tom when you wrote:

"Pay your bills and the shame goes away."

In Tom's world being a victim of serious fraud is a cause for shame and disgrace. Tom doesn't seem to care that the people who lost money in Rangers company liquidation are as much victims of Craig Whyte as Rangers are themselves. But no Rangers fans should shoulder that guilt, not Craig Whyte.

Again recently we had a piece from Tom telling us how the Hearts situation, having been taken over by a Lithuanian crook and run into the ground is completely different from Rangers being taken over by a Scottish crook and being run into the ground: Hearts and Rangers are no comparison.

We're often chastised these days by journalists for this "everyone's against us" mentality but who can blame us when this is what we have to deal with?

Shame on us Tom English? No...shame on you.

Those dastardly Lithuanians are convenient Sir Jaspers, visiting penury and shame on gallant Hearts. Such a line runs interference on the historic debt that determined the Pieman's attempts to sell off Tynecastle. Tom, like so many of his fellow journos sits extremely comfortably with his preferred prejudice. Similarly, he denies others, particularly Rangers supporters the same comfort.

Tom English like Spiers are regarded as heroes of the pen over on the dark side....giving us 'double-barrels' at every opportunity fuels timmy's obsession with us.

That's all that matters to these two, they will never stop. Being revealed as filthy brazen liars on Rangers forums doesn't bother them one bit, in fact I'd say they get a certain amount of pleasure from it.

Spiers is a craven joke, so let's not waster any time discussing him. Tom english, however, disappoints me. I had held him for something above the rest; erroneously it would appear.

It is the way of things, the natural way and the best way, that the press should hold to account the biggest and most powerful. That was us until last year. We were, and remain Scotland's biggest club, Scotland's most successful and Scotland's most unpopular.

Consequently we should expect, indeed secretely welcome, the natural levels of abuse and vitriol that accompanies that position. That's fine. We can live with that. That's as it should be.

What we should not expect, far less tolerate, is the cowardly laziness of the media, Mr English included, who when faced with evidence that shows Rangers to have been the victim rather than the perpetrator of a crime, willfully ignore this and continue with the safe, fecund, and dishonourable vein of reporting that refuses to acknowledge the new reality. Truth is often hardest to tell when it serves the powerful - but it remains the truth. If Mr English is too afraid or to myopic to see it and report it for what it is, then he loses any remaining credibility he may have had among the more enlightened of our support.

Spiers is a craven joke, so let's not waster any time discussing him. Tom english, however, disappoints me. I had held him for something above the rest; erroneously it would appear.

It is the way of things, the natural way and the best way, that the press should hold to account the biggest and most powerful. That was us until last year. We were, and remain Scotland's biggest club, Scotland's most successful and Scotland's most unpopular.

I too, am disappointed with Mr. English.

It's as if a voice within his head said, "Ah feck it Tom, just go with all the rest of my journo friends, it's not worth the grief of losing some of them over this".

Indeed, Mr. English himself even wrote about Whyte in positive terms when his proposed takeover was imminent.

(btw, after reading his piece, I think Lloyds Bank have some explaining to do regarding their eagerness to accept Whyte!)

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/tom_english_craig_whyte_s_rangers_takeover_bid_has_been_a_tortuous_process_1_1595764

What we should not expect, far less tolerate, is the cowardly laziness of the media, Mr English included, who when faced with evidence that shows Rangers to have been the victim rather than the perpetrator of a crime, willfully ignore this and continue with the safe, fecund, and dishonourable vein of reporting that refuses to acknowledge the new reality. ...

Over here in Germany there is the so-called Presserat, i.e. "Press Council". If journalists do any of the above and bring people or institutions name into dirsrepute (amongst other things), the Presserat will act and these journos as well as the media outlets who pay them face serious repercussions and may even lose their licences. I would assume that something similar is out there in Britain too, one just needs to find and utilize it.

Over here in Germany there is the so-called Presserat, i.e. "Press Council". If journalists do any of the above and bring people or institutions name into dirsrepute (amongst other things), the Presserat will act and these journos as well as the media outlets who pay them face serious repercussions and may even lose their licences. I would assume that something similar is out there in Britain too, one just needs to find and utilize it.

Very much doubt if anything of the sort exists in this country. We've still got so-called journos & broadcasters claiming we cheated, had players we couldn't afford etc.

What they can't accept is the only crime that was committed was Whyte not paying PAYE/NI and it'll be really interesting to see what the Insolvency service (or whatever they're called) come up with .Hopefully they'll be asking questions like why HMRC allowed this to go on for as long as they did & when the SFA knew and why they took no action.