We carry a vast Protestant support ... is this a crime?

Guest Geo the Ger

Der Berliner post #11

IMHO, religion is a private thing. Having been brought up in a non-religious society really gives you a certain point of view on such debates and at times it beggars belief what is still going on in Britain and other countries with regards to e.g. segregated schooling. And with no disrespect to any practising boarder, no monotheistic belief has been good to mankind, with Christianity and Islam being the worst "offenders", mostly because of their intolerance to others and their own.

Suum cuique, as the Romans said. As long as people leave me be, I'll do the same. My dislike for the Scum does not come from their religion, but the way they go about it and their love for murderers and terrorists.

When it comes to Rangers, I'm a football fan.

You say that religion is a private thing and that you are non-religious, but then go on to insult every Muslim and every Christian by telling them that their respective religions are not good for mankind. You quote the Roman phrase and then go on to prove that you don't leave people alone by telling the scum, and by that I am assuming you mean the R.C. Republican Irish Celtic support, that you don't agree with the way they go about their religion.

Gunslinger post #19

i'm one of the few who do attend regularly. i think people have a serious cheek calling themselves protestant if they do ot attend church.

Zappa post #20

I kind of agree because there's a level of hypocrisy involved, but it's just the way it is.

Here, Zappa is agreeing with Gunslinger about calling Protestants who don't attend church regularly as being cheeky and hypocritical. How much more hypocritical is it for a regular church going christian to be insulting rather than to invite such "fallen" protestants to join him in congregational worship? Save a soul, brother.

Gunslinger post #24

oh their are more muslims. but no one claims to be baptist and doesn't go to church.

by %

We can be absolutely sure of this statement, eh?

Calscot post #25

I think if you're mixing up being a Protestant and being a Rangers fan, then you're definitely not a Protestant.

You can be a Rangers fan and not be a protestant. You can be a Protestant and not be a Rangers fan. You can be a Rangers fan and be a Protestant. If you think you are a Protestant because you are a Rangers fan then Calscot says you are not a Protestant. It doesn't matter what you really are or consider yourself to be you are definitely not a Protestant.

Anchorman considers this to be complete and utter claptrap.

I do find it strange that people say they are of a religion but don't go to church.

Calscott is entitled to an opinion, Anchorman disagrees and says it is claptrap.

If you believe in your religion then it's all about your immortal soul, so why wouldn't you spend a fair bit of your time investing in it?

I'm assuming here that Calscott is alluding to the fact that if a person does not go to church then they are not investing in their religion. Back in post #4 Anchorman tells us he has a personal faith, ergo he thinks this is claptrap.

You invest time in work and family which affect your mortal life, but surely it's just a blip in the context of eternity? If you believe in it, why neglect it?

I assume when he asks the second question he is referring to religion. Is he suggesting that if a person does not go to church then he is neglecting his religion? What about the person with the personal religion, how does Calscott know he is neglecting his religion? Anchorman believes this thinking to be claptrap.

If you don't really believe in it, why say you are of that religion?

If you don't really believe what? Can anyone define for us just what the check boxes are, to be allowed to be a Protestant?

In their absence Anchorman believes this statement to be claptrap.

Der Berliner post #34

Originally Posted by Anchorman

This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

What a load of complete and utter claptrap

In what way?

The explanation about Anchorman and Calscott is above.

Der Berliner post #37

Originally Posted by barca72

This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Does this help explain it for you?

Bluenoses are born, not manufactured,

We do not choose, we are chosen

Those who don’t understand don’t matter,

Those who understand need no explanation.

And in what way does that relate to anchorman's reply to calscot's?

Try line #3.

Now perhaps Calscott, Gunslinger and Zappa can tell me what a Protestant has to do to be non-negligent and non-hypocritical.

Perhaps the greatest single thing to follow the Reformation was the introduction of the printing press. This broke the stranglehold of the Church of Rome. People could have their own Bibles in their own languages. They could now read the scriptures for themselves and make their own determinations. This allowed the general populace to come up with their own interpretations and ideas. This allowed many groups to form within the Protestant church. This freedom of choice in how to express their religion is what made the Protestant movement so strong. No matter how the church and individual groups moved and progressed, and split etc., they were never wrong in that they always had freedom of expression. This was/is true for a large group or an individual. The choice to join a group or not join a group, and whether to conform or not conform is still up to the individual. That powerful tool, the Book of Scriptures, is intended to allow each individual to choose his/her own way forward. No one has the right to tell them otherwise.

Whether they are on the moral high ground or otherwise.

Edited by barca72

My view is Religion was created to divide and rule. Its a distraction and keeps man sedated. Its implanting false beliefs into a mind and man acts on them.

That, Sir, is an evocative statement. One to which you are perfectly entitled. Can I ask you a question? Do you believe that there is a power higher than man?

That, Sir, is an evocative statement. One to which you are perfectly entitled. Can I ask you a question? Do you believe that there is a power higher than man?

If you were a cow in a field could you comprehend what was beyond that field?

We only see 0.04% of 'visuable light'. To even think humans are the highest power goes beyond ingorant.

My view is Religion was created to divide and rule. Its a distraction and keeps man sedated. Its implanting false beliefs into a mind and man acts on them.

That is the effect on man.

Religion has undermined and subjugated women with devastating consequences.

If you were a cow in a field could you comprehend what was beyond that field?

We only see 0.04% of 'visuable light'. To even think humans are the highest power goes beyond ingorant.

So then, what form would that higher power take?