CRO - Football vs Finance: Striking a Balance

Celtic ? you've obviously not read PZ & J's financial analysis of Celtic in Bill McMurdo's blog. A very interesting read. Looks like they called us financial cheats to divert the spotlight away from themselves.

I meant more about their huge financial muscle over us. No one can deny there is a gulf there. May i ask why are the media not all over these revelations from PZ&J like they were with us? Is it all really a conspiracy or is it just wishful thinking on our part? Where are the facts to back their claims up? Why are the media not being bombarded with the facts?

Btw, i do not want to get away from my opinion that we do not need to move from Scotland, that was my original point and i stand by that, staunchly. We do our job right and we can be very successful, on and off the park.

Edited by Super Cooper

I meant more about their huge financial muscle over us. No one can deny there is a gulf there. May i ask why are the media not all over these revelations from PZ&J like they were with us? Is it all really a conspiracy or is it just wishful thinking on our part? Where are the facts to back their claims up? Why are the media not being bombarded with the facts?

Btw, i do not want to get away from my opinion that we do not need to move from Scotland, that was my original point and i stand by that, staunchly. We do our job right and we can be very successful, on and off the park.

Celtic are in control of large sections of the Scottish mhedia. That's why you won't hear anything about their financial shenanigans.

We agree to disagree about Rangers needing to get out of Scottish football.

This article merely highlights the problems Rangers will face remaining in Scottish football.The fact is we need to get out of Scottish football altogether. WS warned everyone when he left a couple of years ago that there is no money in Scottish football. Things are bad & likely to get worse especially if Doncaster has signed a SKY TV deal on paltry terms over nine years or something which will not generate much needed bigger revenues.

I'm one of those who believe CG left because he saw no long term prospects for Rangers whilst we remained in Scotland. Hence his attempts to move to England which weren't feasible but what about a Northern European league comprising of teams from Scandanavia, Holland, Belgium etc ? I believe we should endeavour to be part of such a setup. It would make good commercial sense and would allow the club to grow to its full potential which it won't do stuck in Scotland

To be honest, I think nobody would care about a northern European league. Take a second to think about how interesting teams from Holland, Belgium and Scandinavia are when you're not a supporter of those. And I'm quite sure most of these clubs (excepting maybe Ajax, PSV) don't have much of a following anyway.

Dutch top ten:

[TABLE=class: stat, width: 684]

[TR=class: headingblue, bgcolor: #E6E6E6]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Average[/TD]

[TD]Minimum[/TD]

[TD]Maximum[/TD]

[TD]Total[/TD]

[TD]Capacity[/TD]

[TD]%Full[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: trow2, bgcolor: #DEDEDE]

[TD=align: center]1[/TD]

[TD=align: left] Ajax Amsterdam [/TD]

[TD=align: center]51,078[/TD]

[TD=align: center]46,772[/TD]

[TD=align: center]60,965[/TD]

[TD=align: center]868,330[/TD]

[TD=align: center]60,965[/TD]

[TD=align: center]83.8%[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: trow3, bgcolor: #F8F8F8]

[TD=align: center]2[/TD]

[TD=align: left] Feyenoord [/TD]

[TD=align: center]45,294[/TD]

[TD=align: center]42,000[/TD]

[TD=align: center]47,500[/TD]

[TD=align: center]770,000[/TD]

[TD=align: center]51,577[/TD]

[TD=align: center]87.8%[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=align: center]3[/TD]

[TD=align: left] PSV Eindhoven [/TD]

[TD=align: center]33,176[/TD]

[TD=align: center]32,000[/TD]

[TD=align: center]34,600[/TD]

[TD=align: center]564,000[/TD]

[TD=align: center]35,119[/TD]

[TD=align: center]94.5%[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=align: center]4[/TD]

[TD=align: left] FC Twente [/TD]

[TD=align: center]29,452[/TD]

[TD=align: center]29,000[/TD]

[TD=align: center]30,000[/TD]

[TD=align: center]500,700[/TD]

[TD=align: center]30,000[/TD]

[TD=align: center]98.2%[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=align: center]5[/TD]

[TD=align: left] Heerenveen [/TD]

[TD=align: center]24,732[/TD]

[TD=align: center]20,000[/TD]

[TD=align: center]26,100[/TD]

[TD=align: center]420,444[/TD]

[TD=align: center]26,800[/TD]

[TD=align: center]92.3%[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=align: center]6[/TD]

[TD=align: left] FC Groningen [/TD]

[TD=align: center]21,237[/TD]

[TD=align: center]20,448[/TD]

[TD=align: center]22,505[/TD]

[TD=align: center]361,041[/TD]

[TD=align: center]22,579[/TD]

[TD=align: center]94.1%[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=align: center]7[/TD]

[TD=align: left] Vitesse Arnhem [/TD]

[TD=align: center]18,395[/TD]

[TD=align: center]16,357[/TD]

[TD=align: center]22,315[/TD]

[TD=align: center]312,724[/TD]

[TD=align: center]26,800[/TD]

[TD=align: center]68.6%[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=align: center]8[/TD]

[TD=align: left] FC Utrecht [/TD]

[TD=align: center]17,632[/TD]

[TD=align: center]15,147[/TD]

[TD=align: center]20,119[/TD]

[TD=align: center]299,748[/TD]

[TD=align: center]24,426[/TD]

[TD=align: center]72.2%[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=align: center]9[/TD]

[TD=align: left] NAC Breda [/TD]

[TD=align: center]17,323[/TD]

[TD=align: center]15,500[/TD]

[TD=align: center]19,000[/TD]

[TD=align: center]294,500[/TD]

[TD=align: center]19,000[/TD]

[TD=align: center]91.2%[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=align: center]10[/TD]

[TD=align: left] AZ Alkmaar [/TD]

[TD=align: center]16,191[/TD]

[TD=align: center]15,495[/TD]

[TD=align: center]17,016[/TD]

[TD=align: center]275,262[/TD]

[TD=align: center]17,023[/TD]

[TD=align: center]95.1%[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

To be honest, I think nobody would care about a northern European league. Take a second to think about how interesting teams from Holland, Belgium and Scandinavia are when you're not a supporter of those. And I'm quite sure most of these clubs (excepting maybe Ajax, PSV) don't have much of a following anyway.

Rather play Alkmaar or FC TWENTE than St Midden or ICT any day

The Dutch attendances look much more healthy than ours, especially when you look at percentage full.

The point of a northern European league would not be about attendances per se, it's the expanded number of people willing to pay for TV rights. Top clubs of most countries can compete with the top five in the gate receipts stakes but can't compete with the population size that pays for footie on TV.

We're a great example of this considering we're one of the biggest clubs in the same "country" as the EPL and yet even when in the SPL command a tiny fraction (3%?) of the TV fees of the relegated sides.

Seems to me that our biggest ever mistake was to resign from the FA and join the SFA. In fact Scotland going its own way has led to the rise and catastrophic fall of Scottish football. The top two Welsh clubs are showing us the long term rewards of sticking around.

Or we should have attempted to join the English league in the early 90's when they needed a boost in ratings. Although I still think that we missed a trick last summer and should have tried harder to get into the Conference. It's still a better league than SLF3 and at least is on the road to riches instead of the road to nowhere.

I see Mather is saying our Wage bill is lower than last year.

Boca, Goian and Alexander all decent earners.

However I'd also estimate that he wasn't including the rather large pay offs we had to give Boca/Goian as they will be dumped in 'additional payments' as opposed to basic salary. If we include them into the bucket i'd say we are still higher than last year. i may be wrong though.

Boca, Goian and Alexander all decent earners.

However I'd also estimate that he wasn't including the rather large pay offs we had to give Boca/Goian as they will be dumped in 'additional payments' as opposed to basic salary. If we include them into the bucket i'd say we are still higher than last year. i may be wrong though.

That was my initial thought too.