Rangers tax case: Hearing in HMRC's appeal over clubs use of EBTs

I thought this was all behind us now .

For us it essentially is. This only amounts to more mudslinging from the usual sources. HMRC will not get anything from us, if anything, they get something from BDO. Preferrably a letter asking them why they put the club into this dire peril of going bust by chasing a lost cause.

For us it essentially is. This only amounts to more mudslinging from the usual sources. HMRC will not get anything from us, if anything, they get something from BDO. Preferrably a letter asking them why they put the club into this dire peril of going bust by chasing a lost cause.

I agree the oldco which operated the club would have been put into 'dire peril of going bust by chasing a lost cause' had HMRC won the BTC but they didn't. It made the oldco virtually unsellable until you-know-who entered the proceedings.

The oldco was put into administration by whyte because he owed HMRC backdated tax which he couldn't pay & HMRC subsequently wouldn't do a CVA with him. Administration had nothing to do with the EBT scheme operated by MIM.

Let's remember that.

The oldco was put into administration by whyte because he owed HMRC backdated tax which he couldn't pay & HMRC subsequently wouldn't do a CVA with him. Administration had nothing to do with the EBT scheme operated by MIM.

Technically you're correct about the cause of us going into admin, but then the BTC was the noose around our necks which led to Whyte taking over.

The likelyhood that it was set to drag on for years with appeal and counterappeal played it's part in Whytes strategy of taking us into admin to attempt to nulify the BTC.

It also had it's effect on how HMRC dealt with the club in allowing that debt to accumulate.

HMRC were expecting to win. That's why they rejected the CVA.

It does show that perhaps we could never have escaped the tax case.

Probably not, but HMRC could have tried a less prominent victim for their showcase ... or to see whether the EBTs as such hold up against their claims. Thus they sent us into Whyte's arms and near-oblivion. That I hope is what BDO et al will hold against them, not their rightful claim against Whyte's tax/PAYE dealings.

Probably not, but HMRC could have tried a less prominent victim for their showcase ... or to see whether the EBTs as such hold up against their claims. Thus they sent us into Whyte's arms and near-oblivion. That I hope is what BDO et al will hold against them, not their rightful claim against Whyte's tax/PAYE dealings.

The trouble is that I think HMRC will pursue this until they win the case and I don't expect BDO to put up much of a fight.

HMRC never sent us into whyte's arms. SDM did when he sold. But was he forced into doing so? I'm sure the Insolvency Service will want to find out