Scottish Professional Football League

Guest David Longmuir

“A mountain of work has been done over the summer to get to this point"

A mountain of work to come up with 4 sentences!! The Scottish Premiership. The Scottish Championship. Scottish League One. Scottish League two.

Why are these donkeys still allowed to turn up to work.

What is the 'Championship' going to be the championship of exactly?? In England its the Championship Leage of the EFL which is a different organisation hence the name makes sense.....here it does not

Utter shambles yet again by these two overpaid tits!

What is it they say......you cannae polish a.....

Rebranding is, generally speaking, the means by which a product which is perceived to be ailing is given a shot in the arm, is rejuvenated. As part of an overall strategy to freshen up or enliven a product with a negative image, it can work; I guess New Labour would be the ultimate example of how is can be successful.

However, that example also highlights what is missing here: New Labour ditched policies which did not fit (like nationalisation), links which did not fit (like removing Union bloc vote for OMOV) and, especially, faces which did not fit (such as Ken Livingstone or Tony Benn).

A rebranding which is only a rebranding - which leaves the same ideas, the same faces, the same product - is, though, little more than a desperate last throw of the dice by a man with two broken arms and a chronic lack of imagination. Customers are not, usually, stupid enough to fall for rebranding without substance: I would give you the circus like Post Office - Consignia nonsense of a few years ago, or Coke's farcical 'new recipe' nonsense from slightly further back.

Businesses have two choices - improve the product and then sell it, or give a dog a lick of paint and hope the saps fall for it. Anyone old enough to recall the Skoda cars which emerged from a cloud of exhaust from communist Czechoslovakia, and who now compares them with the sleek, reliable, actually-quite-desirable cars of today can see that it is the product - the product, the product and ALWAYS the product - which will be the final arbiter of how successful a business is.

Since we have the same teams, in the same leagues, with the same prizes, and the same faces, I leave you to decide whether this is, as Mr Doncaster says, 'a new identity for the future of Scottish professional league football' or yet another bit of window dressing on a shop which is already half closed.

Edited by andy steel

Wonder how much cash and how many suits were sat around the table at Hampden to come up with this. Scottish football needs to get over its obsession with the English game.

Instead of looking over at the riches on offer we should be looking at leagues in countries that are of similar size to ourselves, see what they are doing to make their football more attractive to fans and sponsors and take it from there.

I actually think the design is pretty smart

My "amateur hour graphics" comment was admittedly a slight exaggeration, but really, the design is awkward, unbalanced and most definitely not very original. The only good thing about it is that it's not green.

spfl_logo.gif

My "amateur hour graphics" comment was admittedly a slight exaggeration, but really, the design is awkward, unbalanced and most definitely not very original. The only good thing about it is that it's not green.

spfl_logo.gif

I like the concept - the colours and font are nice - but more thought should have went into the positioning of the Lion IMO.